1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Adjust your bands, shift points, and line pressure (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah i just did this... from memory.... and well i reversed the two? not only does it shift into thrid by 30 but it slips!!! i'm going out to get the right socket for the square nut and then torque the inner band and to the outer one later. then im going to un-do what i did before and go the other way!!! I KNEW i should have read this again FIRST!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one with the spring and the shorter allen key is CCW. I just counted flats on the dually when I did it cause it seems the clearances are not the same as the 727 on the utility bed. I was able to get a full 1/4 turn on the 727, but not the 518.

The one with blue threadlock (you can see it's attatched to the TV cable) is CW. No less than 0.800"!! I found 1 turn was plenty for me, maybe would have done less.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:01 AM

Yeah i just got in...from a test ride... it PULLS HARD in second and third now!!! idk where im at with the pressure screw but i turned it about 5 times(undoing 2 the wrong way) this is roughly, because i used a pair of needle-nose vicegrips. Worked better than the allenkey i couldn't find. I turned the TV screw one full turn and it bumped me to about 45 or 50 in 3rd gear with medium throttle.
Also as soon as i throw her into gear now, she actually MOVES without having to give it any throttle, this will keep me from waking all the neighbors.

As for the band adjustment, it went in a full 4 turns before it tightened up, i used a small adjustable and snugged it the first time. This time i backed it out 2 turns and sinched the lock nut down.

All this combined leaves a good taste in my mouth... sorta like beer. I'm going to try and find a trans pan with drain and tapped for sending unit. Would love to get my hands on one of those tubecooler pans (or what ever the proper name is). I also would like to tap into my oil pan for a temp gauge... im thinking adapter mixed with my drain plug used to be here... method.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:14 AM

I signed on just to pass this on, so don't shoot me as a troll!!! I'm no expert, but on paper Chrysler says I know their auto trannies well enough to wear some fancy patch they sent out..

Note the tv valve above the 'blue bolt'. In more recent years (can't say when the changeover occured), this valve was changed from steel to aluminum. While the tv cam remains steel. Over time, obviously, this steel cam wears down the face of the aluminum valve.

This is the reason why all of us with older trucks have such good results from adjusting the kickdown cable under the hood. It compensates for the valve wear, bringing 'stock' performance back, which feels mighty good compared to 'worn performance'.

The good news is that this valve is quite easy to replace, and that aluminum -or- steel replacement valves are readily available. Just ask for a valve from an old 727, most any trans parts houses worth their salt will have one in stock. I can provide contact info to a local parts store I use here in Raleigh, NC if anyone has problems locating one. I believe I paid about $7 for the valve ~4 years ago when my 46rh took a tank.

Just wanted to share some info that I believe is a common wear item, yet is rarely mentioned and often overlooked by some former colleagues. Happy motoring!

-Jon Smith
Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM

one of the better replies fast4/4 thanks. had all those patches at one time finally just closed the business and let the younger ones take over.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:58 PM

is that the valve that makes the shift smooth?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 PM

From what I gather, it makes it aggressive and not so early. Good advise, thanks for joining to let us know.

I would like to do a valve body rebuild, or at least a shift kit with some of the "common replacement" springs, etc thrown in. This was just free!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 PM

There is no one "thing" that makes a transmission shift smoothly or firmer. While there are 'tricks' like the Tv cable adjustment, bumping the line pressure, etc that can alter the shift behavior. Just remember that smooth shifting = shorter trans life (generally speaking, of course). DZL (anyone else for that matter), I'd be glad to help out with a VB 'rebuild' if you'd like. I'm not trolling for $, I'd simply ask that anyone interested cover parts & shipping alone. I'm out of work, and itching for something to do
Old 05-22-2010, 08:16 PM

smoother shifting= shorter life. well said i preached that for years and a lot of it fell on deaf ears especially gm drivers. it is amazing what enlarging 3 small holes in a 350 turbo will do with out it breaking ones neck when it shifts.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM

It's the same reason the 4liter I6 Jeeps have lost so much power over the years. The same exact motor in a '02WJ easily has ~50-60hp LESS than the same motor from a 92ish XJ... consumers whined about piston slap, CC moved the wrist pin location and tightened up the cyl clearances.

People complain about harsh shifting = engineers make transmissions shift smoother. Then people complain their trans wears out before 100k miles. Same people don't bother to reason the manual, tow a 30k lb trailer @ 100mph in OD, and can't figure out why they smoke the OD clutch packs that are held together with ~25psi of line pressure...
Old 05-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by jughead
smoother shifting= shorter life.
I've been told that for a long time and it makes perfect sense. As an off shoot of a mechanical engineer, I fully understand the reasoning and physics behind WHY. A lot of people argue softer shifts are easier, but a good, affirming shift puts far less stress on the tranny.

A proper Mercedes diesel tranny shifted with a kick, and if left that way it would last 300,000 miles +. That's why Lincoln, and Cadillac trannys wear out so quick. You won't spill your coffee on a shift, but you might spit it out when your wallet is handed over to the tranny shop.

Fast4x4, I would LOVE to send a VB to you someday. I am swapping my dually over to an NV4500, but I think i'll be keeping the utility truck with the 727 with a US Gear Aux tranny OD unit and a tighter torque converter. When my ducks are all in a row (hopefully soon), I'll look you up.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea in the lastest motor trend magazine they do a 2011 dodge 6.7 cummins up against the 2011 ford 6.7l powerstroke.

the whole article they whined about the dodge's hard shifting.....and bragged about the ford's smooth luxury like shifting
Old 05-22-2010, 10:03 PM

I took note of that oddity in the article too... wondering if the guys that wrote it TRULY knew what they were talking about.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:02 AM

I got around to torquing the front adjustment and backing off like so.... Let me just say... WOW. I would suggest this to ANYONE with a trans with more than 50k since new. Supposedly its a maintenance procedure (torquing the bands), and the line pressure boost gives it an extra kick. That along with adjusting the TV cable closer to where it should be helped alot.

Took Brandon for a test ride, he's is my whitness... this thing breaks loose in 1, 2 and maybe chirps 3rd (couldn't hear anything by then).
Old 05-23-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Yea in the lastest motor trend magazine they do a 2011 dodge 6.7 cummins up against the 2011 ford 6.7l powerstroke.

the whole article they whined about the dodge's hard shifting.....and bragged about the ford's smooth luxury like shifting
It's the same as with firearms magazines. You will NEVER read a poor review, because that would be the end of their free swag from the manufacturer. I guess Ford gives out better freebies than DC.

The only exception I can think of for hard vs. soft shifting would be Mercedes' torque management system. At least for (dare I say it here?) gas motor... retard the timing several degrees for a few milliseconds while the shift begins, then bring the power back on after the shift is completed. Makes the NAG1 nearly indestructible, more complicated (in terms of electrical gobblty-gook), and more versatile, at the expense of that sexy feeling kick in the pants kind of shift.

Quick Reply: Adjust your bands, shift points, and line pressure (pics)