1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

AC not as cold

Old 07-03-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for all the tips ya'll. The clutch fan is doing its job with bellowing fan and no rats nest in hvac box as I did the access hole years ago and keep it clean. The only thing that got me thinking I used to have cooler temps was the compressor used to cycle more, and now it stays on. On a whim I "burped" the low pressure side ( not running) and air came out. It seemed like the compressor started cycling (the next mornig when it was still cool) and the temp was lower, also the junction box where the sight glass is wasnt hot any more. Unfortunately this "normal" condition didnt last long as the merc crept up😠 does this temporary "burping air "mean anything?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel402004
Thanks for all the tips ya'll. The clutch fan is doing its job with bellowing fan and no rats nest in hvac box as I did the access hole years ago and keep it clean. The only thing that got me thinking I used to have cooler temps was the compressor used to cycle more, and now it stays on. On a whim I "burped" the low pressure side ( not running) and air came out. It seemed like the compressor started cycling (the next mornig when it was still cool) and the temp was lower, also the junction box where the sight glass is wasnt hot any more. Unfortunately this "normal" condition didnt last long as the merc crept up😠 does this temporary "burping air "mean anything?
It means you let off a little of the freon.

The entire system settles down to the same pressure when it's off, determined by the coldest part of the system. Of course there will be a little pressure on the low side.

your best bet would be to have someone who does refrigeration look at it.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by j_martin
It means you let off a little of the freon.

The entire system settles down to the same pressure when it's off, determined by the coldest part of the system. Of course there will be a little pressure on the low side.

your best bet would be to have someone who does refrigeration look at it.
Of course I knew that😉 but was hopeful for a cause,effect,solution idea bubble😕 will do j_martin.

D
Old 07-07-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
I might be a bit off- but let me try here.

The factory dodge 91.5-93 has the electronic cycling clutch relay. The *factory* set point I believe is 48-55F. So, you should never get 40 degree vent air unless you lower the set point.
I believe many ppl simply pull the measuring point out of the tube a bit. On mine(for better or worse), I added a resistor. I didn't want to have issues with defroster on 33F rainy days. So I think I adjusted it down maybe 45F.

Make sure your heater control valve is closing fully. Else you are running heat+a/c. The other thing, maybe the fresh air vent diaphragm actuator could be bad and be pulling outside air @ max a/c.

I was thinking on doing the PS intercooler mod also- so I will be in the same boat with you soon. I may do the water pump upgrade + fan clutch at the same time. I think I would add some sort of pressure switch to the a/c to relay an electric fan clutch + have a engine temp driven relay. Then again, maybe just a fresh clutch + newer style fan.

Michael
Old 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM

Did longer trip the other day and system performed normally. The fan clutch was active most of the trip so I think my cleanout of the condenser fins was releasing enough heat to work the fan. Guess ill leave well enough alone. Thanks for tips all.

D
Old 07-09-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
The measure of heat content in air is called enthalpy. As you can see in the chart, 32° C (90°F) at 100% RH has a heat content of 112. At 50% RH, it's 70. At 30% RH it's 58. Humidity makes a huge difference.

When we set up AC for large gatherings of people, it's sometimes better to throw away the air and replace it with chilled outside are, than to extract the heat and moisture(enthalpy) from the used air.

. Just so happened I taught this subject to the LU 104 4th year apprentices a couple weeks ago in their HVAC systems design class. Good find JM!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
. Just so happened I taught this subject to the LU 104 4th year apprentices a couple weeks ago in their HVAC systems design class. Good find JM!
You'd be surprised how many HVAC "professionals" don't have a clue, and usually compensate for that with too much equipment.