1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 W250 only 19 k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
looks good! everything under your truck that is either rust colored or steel, is dirt colored and grease covered under my truck! haha
Old 11-24-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Hey, on the 3rd pic down, what is the black vertical box with the corrugated hose? To the left of the transfer case? Again, nice find on that rig. Makes me wonder, as I am weird about thinking of stuff like this: you all ever wonder, say around 20 -30 years from now who will end up with our rigs? Take BC847's truck, or Jim Layne's rigs. 20 years from now, wether it be here on DTR, or another forum, what would others say about our rigs as some zit faced kid is posting pics of his new find? That zit faced kid isn't even born yet, so work with me on the imagine game
Old 11-24-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Hey, on the 3rd pic down, what is the black vertical box with the corrugated hose? To the left of the transfer case? Again, nice find on that rig. Makes me wonder, as I am weird about thinking of stuff like this: you all ever wonder, say around 20 -30 years from now who will end up with our rigs? Take BC847's truck, or Jim Layne's rigs. 20 years from now, wether it be here on DTR, or another forum, what would others say about our rigs as some zit faced kid is posting pics of his new find? That zit faced kid isn't even born yet, so work with me on the imagine game
Yeah the original owner was wwwll pilot he had added some rather interesting items. As far as we can tell it looks like a water heater???? It has a 1/0 batter cable running to it no idea what water it was heating. The pass side has an sux battery and air comp for the air horns. And weirdest one we found so far is a electrical box full of old relays that run to the trailer plugs (2).
I found that when I was checking lights. And had the flashers on their was a relay clicking sound . All the wiring is sound well connected but I told my son we need to take our time removing these things kinda like surgery don't wanna kill the patient lol
Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce faz
Yeah the original owner was wwwll pilot he had added some rather interesting items. As far as we can tell it looks like a water heater???? It has a 1/0 batter cable running to it no idea what water it was heating. The pass side has an sux battery and air comp for the air horns. And weirdest one we found so far is a electrical box full of old relays that run to the trailer plugs (2).
I found that when I was checking lights. And had the flashers on their was a relay clicking sound . All the wiring is sound well connected but I told my son we need to take our time removing these things kinda like surgery don't wanna kill the patient lol
At least I know what you think of my trailer lighting relay setup. Takes the load off the already overloaded dodge wiring, adds a layer of electrical fire safety, and also adds a layer of redundancy. (That means if something shorts out, it don't take out the whole rig.)

In other words, you should think about what you're removing.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
At least I know what you think of my trailer lighting relay setup. Takes the load off the already overloaded dodge wiring, adds a layer of electrical fire safety, and also adds a layer of redundancy. (That means if something shorts out, it don't take out the whole rig.)

In other words, you should think about what you're removing.

Ahhh that makes a lot sense the more I learn about these trucks the better I'm understanding the electrical sys leaves a lot to be desired.
So it looks like the relay box is desired for trailers. I must read more here. We are studying the headlight relay system it's awesome that the thread is so detailed.
But now I'm wondering if maybe some of the added on wiring and relays on my sons truck (including under the hood) are related. I/my kid need to make this priority. Nonetheless really starting to appreciate what this truck truly is.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce faz
Ahhh that makes a lot sense the more I learn about these trucks the better I'm understanding the electrical sys leaves a lot to be desired.
So it looks like the relay box is desired for trailers. I must read more here. We are studying the headlight relay system it's awesome that the thread is so detailed.
But now I'm wondering if maybe some of the added on wiring and relays on my sons truck (including under the hood) are related. I/my kid need to make this priority. Nonetheless really starting to appreciate what this truck truly is.
The only con so far is that if I turn on the 4 way flashers, what with the relays, and relays likewise in the first of 2 trailers, it sorta sounds like a pinball machine.

Headlight relays and the accompanying properly sized wiring (original headlight grounds are long and 18 or 20 gauge) really help. Same goes for 1 or more relays in the heater controls. If it's a 1 ton, a relay in the clearance lamps is good, too.

My trailer wiring has a 60 amp feed to the box under the bed, and from there a 40 amp 8 gauge, relay controlled power circuit, and relay controlled circuits for tail, turn, and backup lights. All are properly fused, of course.

A short in trailer wiring will take out a fuse in the relay box, instead of the entire flasher circuit. If it's turn signal short, it'll only take out one side.

I've seen entire rigs burn down to the ground with unprotected battery to battery wiring through the 7-way trailer connector.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Nice. Other the a bit of dirt... Relatively clean.

The front springs Are reverse arched. Truck will ride much nicer once you rebuild them.

My personal experience was that I replaced them, then within a year has them back out again, rebuilding the replacements.

I wish I had just pulled the oem ones and had them rebuilt, replaci g the main leaf with a new, .such thicker unit. Lots of threads here about springs, and you'll get lots of opinions on this. Search it. You'll be surprised.
The front springs were reverse arched when new from factory, as were gm trucks.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:38 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by comotionman
The front springs were reverse arched when new from factory, as were gm trucks.
This is the information I have come across as well. If not a negative arch, then darn near level...or 0 arch.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:39 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
I dig the front sway bar and over loads on the rear. Wish mine had them.