1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 W250 only 19 k miles

Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 W250 only 19 k miles

My son just purchased a 1993 W250 cummins 5 sp Single cap LE
With 19 K miles. Our neighbor bought it new and has not been driven in 5yrs but she thinks it was started 2 years ago. We but in a battery and it she started as soon as my son turned the key.
We drove it less 2 blocks to home and started prepping the put her back on the road. We read about the KDP and have just finished installing the washer. My son has changed the belt and all the coolant hose and of course will be replacing the dry rotted tires. It has a half tank of fuel and we are thinking of topping off the tank and adding fuel additive. We are in the process of safety checking the truck I.e. Brakes driveline etc. Any other issues We should address before re we put her back on the road???
I read there are plenty of mods to enhance performance but for now we ware both anxious to put some miles on before or if any performance mods take place. Thanks I spent the last few nites on the net and this looks like a really good place to join
Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Congrats on the almost new, old truck....and 19K miles!!!

I will say this before the rest chime in...we would ALL love to see pics of this gem!

As for getting it ready for the road again. Yes top of the fuel, put in some 2 cycle oil and some fuel additive. Do a full service, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter. Flush rad and new coolant. Flush the brake fluid....been sitting more then a few years and that old fluid will be full of moisture.

I would service the diffs, and transfer case, as well as a tranny service...and over fill your 5spd Getrag with an extra quart of fluid. Check your U-joints, and grease every nipple you can find.

Also redo all your grounds, motor, rad support, firewall and under dash....that means taking them all off and using sand paper to make sure all the wiring and metal they attach to are all clean and shiny. Some di-electric grease on them before re-assembly will not hurt either.

I'm sure once you start getting some miles on the truck a few things wil pop up and need servicing...mostly seals I bet.

Good luck and keep us posted on your road back to the road.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:46 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
This is the BEST one to join in MHO. Mostly mature, polite, professionals (I said mostly... ).

So congrats and lets see the pics!

I agree with everything Cows said. If you live in an area with seasons there could be a lot of moisture that has settled into the fluids. You've killed the DP so most of the rest is just maintenance and improvements after you overfill the Getrag like suggested.

How old is your son? Sounds like a good father son project to me.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:26 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Call it seasoned by age, I don't know, but if I ever landed on a 1st Gen with that low a miles and I had the financials to keep both the new one and my old one I would leave it bare bones stock, as far as performance enhancements. Keep it like it was meant to be. But, it's not about me, you do whatever makes you feel good about that new 1st Gen! That's awesome. How'd the paint hold up, and the interior? Hopefully no critters made their home in the dang thing
Old 11-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Call it seasoned by age, I don't know, but if I ever landed on a 1st Gen with that low a miles and I had the financials to keep both the new one and my old one I would leave it bare bones stock, as far as performance enhancements. Keep it like it was meant to be. But, it's not about me, you do whatever makes you feel good about that new 1st Gen! That's awesome. How'd the paint hold up, and the interior? Hopefully no critters made their home in the dang thing
Agreed. A vehicle is only original once. Also, The value of a collector vehicle is mostly determined by supply and demand. By this standard, a 93 first gen with 18k on the clock, is both very rare and very sought after (albeit from a relatively small number of nutz ). All that said, I'll give you 2k for it ...Mark
Old 11-17-2015, 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions, except the $2k offer
I will send picts as soon as I can figure out how. The trucks is like new inside. Everything works power windows locks etc. The paint is really bad. no rust but badly oxidize and peeling. NO critters thankfully other than a few spider webs. No body damage not even parking lot dings. The ac is not very cold I'm sure s shot of R12 would fix that, ( I know good luck on finding that!) The original owner installed an air compressor with air horns and amp gauges, kinda looks like it all came from a military surplus store. And the added wiring is a little scary so we will rework and remove most of it, kid wants to keep the air horns (mounted underneath the hood) but the rest of the add on wiring will go away. My son plans on keeping the truck stock. He bought the truck to replace his Ford Ranger work truck. When we found this truck we started doing a little researched and quickly decided this was the truck to have. He hopes to someday install a service body but a new body cost more than he paid for the truck. So that might never happen. But rest assured this will be the cleanest work truck on the road and he will keep it that way. He is very meticulous with his vehicles. Other than changing the fluids and new tires should be on the road in a week or two. We will definitely give her a good look over and follow the suggestion you all provided except the $2k offer LOL.
Can't wait to take her out for a drive. My son says we are taking a run down to the desert for a shake down cruise. Should be fun.
Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Okay, I'll give you $2250.... but no more...

Really, if you decide you have to pull the tank to get the old fuel out, make sure you order a new filler neck seal, and sending unit for the fuel gauge. The truck is 23 years old, and both will need to be replaced, regardless of condition or miles on the truck. Both of my 1st gens needed them, and I wound up pulling the tank a few times before I just replaced them both. No gauge or leakage issues now.

Available through the dealer, but I buy from these guys in FLA. Much less expensive.

Mopar Parts | Buy Mopar Parts Online | Low Shipping Rates
Old 11-19-2015, 04:24 PM

A couple of Picts I will get a few more in daylight<br/>

Old 11-19-2015, 05:44 PM

HOLY SMOKES !

Someone bought a truck and parked it ?

that's crazy wabbit !!

Please photograph the undercarriage when you get some daylight. I'd love to see what it looks like under there.

Thanks

!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I am so jealous!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
shift **** insert is missing, junk...
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 AM

BTW,

I have your older Brother at home. This is what my 92 looked like the day I bought it. I think within 5 minutes of being home, I ripped off and scrapped that topper.

Name:  DSC00551.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  155.0 KB
Old 11-20-2015, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Sweet mother of Mary, shes a beaut............. Make sure you carry stated value insurance on her.

And if you lose your mind, I will up NJT's offer, $ 3,500 just because that's the kind of guy I am.....
Old 11-20-2015, 11:20 AM

Dang that's a nice truck! Good job on picking that up.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM

so if you'd like to share or don't mind..... what did you pick it up for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 W250 only 19 k miles