1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 Cummins Starter solenoid problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 Cummins Starter solenoid problem

I have a 93 Dodge that either bangs off right away and cranks super good, or just makes a faint click and doesn't engage at all. The motor and solenoid have been rebuilt, so I think it is a problem with the wiring inside the solenoid case itself. I wouldn't mind paying the money for a new (no rebuilds) Denso starter if I could find one but there doesn't seem to be any available for the 93's anymore.
Is it possible to use a 1994 starter, or at least the solenoid on a 1993 model Cummins. I don't see why they would be any different.
Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the best luck with Cummins re-man starters. They are re maned in Canada last longer than any rebuilt but they are not cheap. There are 2 different sizes and both are rated the same. The old style are about 25% larger but do fit the 1st gens.

There is another source for new starters out there - I will try to find their info and post a link to them.

Bob
Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by greenmachine91
I have a 93 Dodge that either bangs off right away and cranks super good, or just makes a faint click and doesn't engage at all. The motor and solenoid have been rebuilt, so I think it is a problem with the wiring inside the solenoid case itself. I wouldn't mind paying the money for a new (no rebuilds) Denso starter if I could find one but there doesn't seem to be any available for the 93's anymore.
Is it possible to use a 1994 starter, or at least the solenoid on a 1993 model Cummins. I don't see why they would be any different.
Any ideas?
Are you sure the light clicking is coming from the starter solenoid, and not the relay on the driver's fender.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 PM

j martin, I thought of the relay right off and ran a hotwire from the battery straight to the solenoid and you could hear the solenoid clicking. The starter and solenoid have been rebuilt by me, they are pretty simple. I used Larry B parts. I don't recommend his solenoid contacts, they are so wide that if they don't line up to the plunger just perfect you are only make contact on the edges. His motor brushes are excellent however. When the solenoid does work, that motor spins hard.
I'm pretty sure its bad wiring or connections in the solenoid case itself.
I love this old beast, but finding parts is a real pain in the ****!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM

Bob Beauchaine, I would appreciate that. I did break down and order what is supposed to be a genuine Denso rebuilt online through CARiD. I paid $176 after shipping and core charge, seemed pretty reasonable if it's a decent unit. I'm gonna eat the $33 core charge and keep my original Denso unit. I don't want to give them up ( I actually have two, one was from a junk yard) as I have heard the off brand and aftermarket units are nothing like the Original Densos. The original factory unit went well over 200k before it had too be replaced. Lots of cold weather starts on it.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by greenmachine91
j martin, I thought of the relay right off and ran a hotwire from the battery straight to the solenoid and you could hear the solenoid clicking. The starter and solenoid have been rebuilt by me, they are pretty simple. I used Larry B parts. I don't recommend his solenoid contacts, they are so wide that if they don't line up to the plunger just perfect you are only make contact on the edges. His motor brushes are excellent however. When the solenoid does work, that motor spins hard.
I'm pretty sure its bad wiring or connections in the solenoid case itself.
I love this old beast, but finding parts is a real pain in the ****!
If it's clicking, the solenoid coil and connections are good. The contacts are failing for some reason, like alignment.

It might be a 2 in hand winding on the solenoid with one winding open. The solenoid coil itself must be replaceable. If the break is at the terminal, it could be soldered.

Are the starter mount bolts tight? A failed ground would act like this.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:58 PM

j martin; The bolts are tight enough and I did find a new Denso plunger and contacts for the solenoid and line them up by pushing in the plunger as I tightened the contact nuts. I think either the solenoid wires need soldered, as you said, or there is some other bad connection. The solenoids can be ordered separately if you can find the right part. The tough part is finding them. I have a rebuilt coming (we'll see how that works out) and when it gets in I am going to mess with the old one some and see what I can do with resoldering or rewiring the solenoid.
With these old 1st gen Dodges, you have be prepared to do a little shade tree manufacturing sometimes.

Last edited by greenmachine91; 09-04-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Add info