1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

5k potentiometer to replace tps

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5k potentiometer to replace tps

i have been woking on my dads 91 3500 for a while trying to get it to shift into OD. i read the post that Ouchman posted about replacing the TPS with a potentiometer and i went to radio shack and got everything i needed. i am just having trouble figuring out the wiring for this thing. i hooked it up which i though was the correct way and no change, it still didnt shift. so is there anyone that can tell me what wire is sopost to go where on the potentiometer? i though i tried every combo there was but the truck still would not shift to OD. i havent taken the TPS apart yet to see how dirty it is in side but i plan on it.

or is there something else i should be looking for? what else would cause this P.O.S. truck not to shift?

my dad needs this gear back. it hasnt worked in months and he is putting 200+ miles a day on this truck at 55 mph maxed out in 3rd gear. i know that cant be good for it.

p.s. i know this tps topic has been beatin to death but i have been searching for like 3 days and i need to get this thing fixed.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked the TV cable that goes from the Throttle linkage down to the tranny. That also may determine when to shift in and out of OD. I think mostly it controls the line pressure though so be careful. From what I remember, have someone give it WOT (engine off of course) and then you should be able to move that level on the tranny ONLY about 1/8" or so, maybe a tad more. You might be able to find more info about this from DTT's site

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/index.php

I drove for 1 month without a TPS. Forget that, it would drive me up a wall going 200 miles a day listening to that motor whine right out and stay there. They were built for that, but even so, you should get it fixed.

Oh, and WELCOME aboard. I noticed it was your first post.