1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2 stroke oil question

Old 11-30-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics

Can someone snap a pic of the container from wally world? I've gone to walmart here in canada and can't find the two stroke oil that is being referenced.

Thanks,
Old 11-30-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
THis of suncoast's website:

Sulfur is not a lubricant, however the process used to reduce the Sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally-occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Banned

wally world seems to have put 2 stroke in one place only, the boating section............... hope this helps
Old 11-30-2008, 09:30 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam4
THis of suncoast's website:

Sulfur is not a lubricant, however the process used to reduce the Sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties... To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975 for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.
So you're saying they fixed the problem? How?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
So you guys that are running 2 cycle oil, do you quit with winter fuel?

Reason I'm asking is thus: If one uses a winter addative such as white bottle Power Service, does this cancel out the lubricating effects of the 2 cycle?

Is one better off just running 2 cycle all year? Or just the summer?

Basic question - is 2 cycle and winter addative compatable?
I run it year-round. Kinda tough to pour at 10 degrees though...

I do run white bottle PS when I am concerned about gelling. Gelling is caused by paraffin in the fuel. 2 stroke oil doesn't have paraffin in it so it will not make the fuel any more prone to gel.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Featherman
Can someone snap a pic of the container from wally world? I've gone to walmart here in canada and can't find the two stroke oil that is being referenced.

Thanks,
Never mind where the pictures came from...

It was the best pictures I could find...

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...t=16406&page=2
Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I run it year-round. Kinda tough to pour at 10 degrees though...

I saved a bunch of those red long-neck quart bottles that Marvel Mystery Oil comes in, back before I discovered that it was nothing more than red-colored paint thinner.

These long-neck bottles are ideal for pouring stuff into the fuel-tank.

I keep a dedicated pint-sized measuring-cup that is graduated in liquid ounces, along with a dedicated funnel.

I measure however many ounces of TC-W3 two-stroke oil as I expect to add gallons of diesel.

In winter, I also add white bottle Power-Service to the two-stroke at the same ounce/gallon ratio.

I then finish filling the bottle with plain old diesel and give it a good shaking.

Thus mixed, the two-stroke readily pours into the tank.

Since these are 32-oz bottles, in summer, I limit the amount of two-stroke in each bottle to twenty-ounces, leaving me room for twelve-plus ounces of diesel, thus giving me a pre-mixed treatment for twenty-gallons of fuel.

In winter, I mix 10-ounces P-S, ten-ounces two-stroke, and finish with diesel, thus giving me a pre-mixed treatment for ten-gallons of fuel.

I always keep the empty bottles to be used over and over.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow While We Are Talking Ulsd And Two Stroke Oil

I will also add this :

Before I discovered the attributes of mixing two-stroke oil in my fuel, I was religiously running a mixture of white bottle Power-Service and Marvel Mystery Oil in every drop of fuel my fleet of trucks was using.

My recipe was 12-oz P-S and 8-oz MMO added to every twenty-gallons of fuel.

Two of our engines developed steady fuel drips at the VE-pump, one was leaking at the throttle-shaft, the other was dripping from the forward end of the KSB.

The one leaking at the throttle-shaft would drip steadily even when the engine was not running.

The weather was cold, wet, and miserable, and I was too busy attending to other more pressing matters to pull the pumps and reseal them.

I started mixing TC-W3 two-stroke oil at the conservative ratio of 1-oz/gallon and, within a week, both leaks had stopped, and in over a year, neither has showed evidence of leaking again.

They can make all the "good for your engine" claims about ULSD they want to, I have seen first hand what it does and will take any preventive measures I deem necessary to combat it.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

Its against my better judgment to post this as I know what type of effect similar posts have had elsewhere. But its relevant to the discussion at hand.

Wal-Mart. Their prices are always cheaper. This is not because they are really nice guys. Its because their products are made quickly and cheaply, with minimum expense on things like quality control and research and development. Anyone who runs Wal-Mart gasoline because it is always a nickle a gallon cheaper winds up replacing oxygen sensors and other emissions components regularly. Who knows if it does damage to the engine as well, you have to take the engine apart to find out. I am betting it does contribute to premature engine failure as well.

I am not an oil genius and I don't pretend to know everything about our trucks or engines in general. I do know that if you bought it at Wal-Mart and its their brand, you can bet that if there was some optional additive that would save wear on your truck and it wasn't required by law to be in there, they would not put it in there to save the money and increase their bottom lines. I would not put ANYTHING Wal-Mart sells under a house brand in my truck except bug wash. Ever. Its not worth junking a $2K IP or a $6K engine to save $1 here and there buying their crap.

Good economy or bad, some things remain the same. Before you stick Wal-Mart brand junk in expensive equipment, think about whether or not you really want to trust Wal-Mart with your engine or fuel system components.

Now, as for the practice talked about here.

Urban legends on USDL not having adequate lubrication.

Its not an urban legend - its a proven fact. Observed by people in the field who actually work on our trucks daily. There is a difference between being a suit and sitting in an office on the 40th floor and working in the field. They said all the same crap when they sucked all the lead out of gasoline. Keep in mind the people making all these claims about ULSD have an incentive to sell us on its use. Cant have a rebellion against ULSD, otherwise we'd have to go back to the other stuff and that would be backwards progress.

Before I discovered the attributes of mixing two-stroke oil in my fuel, I was religiously running a mixture of white bottle Power-Service and Marvel Mystery Oil in every drop of fuel my fleet of trucks was using. My recipe was 12-oz P-S and 8-oz MMO added to every twenty-gallons of fuel. Two of our engines developed steady fuel drips at the VE-pump, one was leaking at the throttle-shaft, the other was dripping from the forward end of the KSB.

I used to use Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant religiously. I got tired of paying $13 a bottle at the truck stop and I could not find it cheaper elsewhere, even contacted Lucas to talk about buying pallets and the minimum order to get a price under $12 was to buy 24 cases. At that point, I switched to white bottle power service. I put in 2 oz per gallon of fuel. I thought it was my imagination, but it does seem like under the Lucas my pump leaked less and occasionally not at all and under power service the leak got much worse.

--

I have made a new batch of fuel supplement that I plan to try as soon as I can get up the nerve to do it. I really don't like putting stuff in the tank because I am always worried something is going to get wrecked. My current ratio on the new stuff is 1 part Rotella 15-40, 2 parts white power service and 1 part Lucas, to be added at a rate of 1 gallon per tankful. Any thoughts on what should be done here?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walmart buys and resells the same stuff many other retailers do. They just get volume discounts and exclusive contracts to cut cost. A majority of the fuel and oil adds on the shelves are snake oil. All pretty common knowledge.

57% of all the the information on boards like this is misleading or false. 90% of all statistics are completely contrived. Now am I lyin' to ya?

I think you're paranoid.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace
57% of all the the information on boards like this is misleading or false. 90% of all statistics are completely contrived. Now am I lyin' to ya?
I heard it was 59%
Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by megacabdad
Never mind where the pictures came from...

It was the best pictures I could find...

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/for...t=16406&page=2
Hey thanks Megacab........................isn't the Super Tech brand name used for recycled oil???? That's what I was told.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
All I can say is this-

When diesel fuel went from high sulfur to 500 ppm, there were failures and everyone was saying it was fuel. Turned out, it was a process problem at the refineries.
Now with ULSD fuel, there was a similar problem and it was identified .. hence the new lubricity standard. Now, that being said.. I don't know how much of the fuel being produced doesn't meet the standard.
Did you know a random testing of motor oils revealed that 70% don't meet spec? So, if that is the case with fuel- then your money maybe well spent.

I'll take my chances and stay with regular fuel. I think most diesel additives are snake oil and/or uncessary. Hearsay from mechanics I wouldn't rely on the cause/effect. They rarely get the root-cause correct-just what has failed.
If there is a true problem, Bosch will upgrade parts like they did with the VP-44 to improve reliability.

M
Old 12-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would it b safe to run 1 gallon of 2 stroke oil per 1/4 tank so 4 gallons to a full tank?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 93beater
would it b safe to run 1 gallon of 2 stroke oil per 1/4 tank so 4 gallons to a full tank?
No way. 4 gallons is way to much. It wont hurt anything but its a waste of money.

1oz per gallon is fine. So you really only need a quart of 2-stroke per tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 stroke oil question