1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance

Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Truck is back to work and running strong - a few more tweaks to go though

As I mentioned, I incorrectly assembled the pump head with the stepped side of the sleeve pointing towards the timing case instead of the pump head. I think this also explains why I was getting buckets of fuel out the injectors - it must have allowed way too much fuel through the distributor head.

1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance-pump-spinde-incorrect.jpg

1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance-pump-spindle-correct.jpg

There are a few more tweaks left to do. I skipped a tooth on throttle linkage splines because truck seemed underpowered from where I first set it after the reseal. After that and playing with the power screw and seeing how little it takes to change the idle, I'll need to go back the way it was. Looks like I could have iniitally set the power screw out to far, causing low power. Right now, idle screw is down nearly as far as can go. I'm being careful not to floor it so I don't break my gov spring.

Instead of removing PS/Vacuum pump, which would have compelled me to reseal them both, I made a wrench to get the bottom nut easier I was able to make the bends exactly how I wanted to get as much travel as possible. Worked very well. So did the special socket I made. Turns out a 12mm is perfect. just round out three sides.

1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance-bottom-nut-wrench.jpg

1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance-special-socket.jpg

I got the electrical squared away ... enough. I was getting carried away designing a fuse box exactly how I wanted it, which is still in progress btw, but realized I just needed to get back on the road. So I just used a cigar box. It will last me several months until I put the real deal in there. Kept the fuse links until I get a maxi fuse holder I'm happy with. While I was at it, I added a Jim Lane style grounding terminal up front and grounded the alternator directly to it with 4ga.

1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance-electrical-fuse-box.jpg

by the way, whats this relay plug for? nothing's in it and it looks factory. Its just hanging out.
1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance-whats-relay.jpg
Old 02-22-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Very nice home made tools. I'm sure we all have a special drawer in the rook away with our cummins specific tools

I took my pump apart 3 times until I was absolutely certain it was put together correctly. I still can't believe it ran when I put it back on the truck after seeing all those parts on the work bench!
The following users liked this post:
RamDodgeSam (02-23-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
VE injection pump tightening torque values

forgot to include the resource I found for the VE pump tightening torque values for all the fasteners. Was definitely some peace of mind for my piece of mind during reassembly.

edit: here is a image incase the link breaks.

1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance-ve-torque-values.jpg
Attached Thumbnails 1993 D250 KPD inspection, VE pump reseal and related concerns/maintanance-ve-torque-values-copy.jpg