12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Won't Start after New Battery Terminals

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't Start after New Battery Terminals

So I swapped my old battery terminals for new military style terminals and now my 96 Ram 2500 12 valve won't start. It will turn over but won't start. When I was taking the wires out of the old posts I noticed that the smaller wires going into the terminals were still sheathed. I stripped them and wired them into the new terminals. Also when I was tightening the terminals I touched both terminals with my wrench. Not sure if that could be the cause of this. Also the positive cables for the air heater relays were hooked up to the ground terminal initally. Anyone run across this? I'm not sure where to look. My fuel pressure gauge reads 8 psi when the key is on and drops to 1 while cranking the engine before rebounding. I have an Air Dog 2. The battery is almost dead from cranking the motor but ive only it done probably 6 times.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Look at the fuel shut off solenoid, is it being pulled up and into position? Did you install the air dog 2 fuel pump I am just curious why the electric pump over the old reliable mechanical pump? You will need to charge up your batteries, it won't start if it isn't turning over fast enough.
The following users liked this post:
chad.taylor.fsu (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:56 PM

The FSS was not engaging but I am stuck waiting on the batteries to charge. One may be bad. it was reading 2 CCA out of 1000. The Previous Owner installed the Air Dog. Not sure why. The 12 valve is great because its all mechanical.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
You could separate the bad battery by unhooking it and you should be able to start it with just one battery as long as it's not much below freezing wherever your at.

Once you get things back up and running I would throw that air dog in the trash and put the piston pump back on the truck. I am sure you can sell the thing and nearlly pay for the parts you need to but it back the way it was.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:47 PM

Alright after replacing one of the batteries and charging the other, the truck turned over. Now to just find the fusible link and verify if it's intact or if the relay is bad. Anyone have the instructions for testing that relay with my multimeter?

Originally Posted by deere country
You could separate the bad battery by unhooking it and you should be able to start it with just one battery as long as it's not much below freezing wherever your at.

Once you get things back up and running I would throw that air dog in the trash and put the piston pump back on the truck. I am sure you can sell the thing and nearlly pay for the parts you need to but it back the way it was.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by chad.taylor.fsu
Alright after replacing one of the batteries and charging the other, the truck turned over. Now to just find the fusible link and verify if it's intact or if the relay is bad. Anyone have the instructions for testing that relay with my multimeter?
when the"truck turned over" how did it land??
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 AM

On its wheels with the engine running

Originally Posted by johnh
when the"truck turned over" how did it land??
Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by chad.taylor.fsu
Start with this:

Won't Start after New Battery Terminals-fuel-relay-wiring-1.jpg

Won't Start after New Battery Terminals-fuel-relay-wiring-2.jpg

Won't Start after New Battery Terminals-fuel-shut-down-relay-text.jpg

fuel solenoid test.pdf