12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement

I had to replace my oil pressure sensor. Thought I'd share how it went for me. I purchased the sensor thinking I had the correct socket; six point 1 1/16”. Well I didn't have one so I went and purchased the oil pressure sensor socket. During the removal I found that I could not get the socket in place. It was too tight a fit next to the power steering pump. I finally got socket on. What I found is that I had stressed the fit with the socket and actually broke the plastic body from the metal hex and screw fitting.

I didn't clean the area before hand but I did clean the area before the install of new sensor. This is a must do as the area is loaded with dirt and oil residue. Getting the new sensor started was a bit of a challenge. You have to feel as you work as you can't see the threaded hole and sensor. I just worked it using many different angles until I finally got the treads started. Now I had to figure out what wrench to use to tighten the fitting. The socket was out of the question. An adjustable wrench was too large and long and just not the right tool. Looking thru my tool cabinet I found the perfect wrench to be an open end wrench. The one I had was from a Harbor Freight tool set. So I cut the tool I in half and it was a perfect size. It was an easy install after the tool mod. If you do this replacement I suggest you rotate sensor so that the wiring connector locking tab is located to the right side. This makes installing and removing the wiring connector an easy thing.

So use the socket for removal. Break the plastic body if necessary. The socket makes removal easy. Use the socket for install if it can be used without breaking the sensor. If not, my modded open wrench may work for you.

Now I plan to buy another HF tool set. I will cut the wrenches in the old set in two and have mini tools open end and box wrench. They will come in handy. Actually, I visit pawnshops and buy old tools; wrenches, sockets and socket extensions, etc. I use these to make special tools as neede
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement-image.jpeg  
Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I made a tool just for this purpose. Take a 12 point 1 1/16 socket and cut the part off where it goes in the ratchet. Now you weld an old 3/8 wrench to the side of it and you have a 12 valve oil pressure sensor socket.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a picture of it
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement-img_0039.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
patdaly (01-23-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Richard, thanks for sharing a picture of that tool. I actually had something like that in mind. I just didn't have a sacrificial socket available. I'll have to look at the old sensor. A 12 point socket would not work on the new nor the old sensor. Making special tools is a good way to go. I've made plenty of them. My last sensor change was in 2001. So I'm good for another 15 years or so. Lol.