12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

NV4500 to NV5600 swap with newer axles

Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NV4500 to NV5600 swap with newer axles

Hey guys. I finally got around to doing my transmission and axle swap. I swapped my NV4500 for an NV5600 out of an '01 along with a DHD transfer case. Thought I would share a couple of things I found. This was a PIECE OF CAKE on my '98. I was expecting to lengthen the reverse light wiring, but apparently Dodge was already planning the NV5600 prior to the '98 model year as the reverse light wiring had lots of extra wire folded and taped up.

I did have to lengthen the vacuum and vent lines to the transfer case, but that was easy enough. I have yet to lengthen the transfer case shift rod, but that's also no big deal. I knew the NV5600 was about 6" longer than the NV4500 and was going to have a drive shaft built prior to starting the swap, but decided against it as I wanted to measure to be triple sure that the length was right. Turned out it was a good thing I did as the NP241DHD transfer case is about 3/4" longer than the DLD, so the shaft needed shortened 6 3/4". I already had the slip yoke for the DHD so that was no problem. I already had a front drive shaft from an NV5600 truck rebuilt and ready. I had the starter spacer and NV5600 double disc clutch, that were installed as well. The crossmember fit fine as the '98 already had the big crossmember.

I also swapped out the drum brake rear today for the disc brake rear. The rear brakes will need some attention soon, but I replaced all the brake lines and parking brake cables as they were all damaged on the rear. I also replaced the rear shocks as the Tuff Country shocks were both blown. Will never buy those again. Less than two years old and no gas and one seal leaking. There is also at least one of the front shocks that is blown and leaking fluid. Thought I would try the KYB Monomax shocks. Found a great deal on them at Summit Racing, along with a new steering stabilizer. Didn't think I should leave the Tuff Country one on while replacing all the blown shocks.

The front axle is on the agenda for tomorrow, and maybe the 4-wheel disc master cylinder if time allows. Getting pretty excited to drive it now that's it's so close to being done.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW looking great! This is the exact thing that I am going to do when I track down a 98 12v QCLB. I'm surprised at how much bigger the 24v T-case is compared to the 12v. Any other major modifications that were needed to be done or was it mostly plug and play? I like the rear disk conversion, great idea while your at it.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 AM

It's not a 12v vs. 24v thing on the transfer case, it's a 2500 vs. 3500 thing. I've heard that some 2500's came through with the DHD transfer cases, but I've never seen it. All the 3500's came with them, so look for a dually to scavenge. There are a few little things, but nothing like when I did my '93. You'll need the 6-speed clutch and starter spacer (or buy the conversion clutch from South Bend or Valair), lengthen the vacuum and vent lines to the transfer case, but rear driveshaft and lengthen front one, and lengthen the transfer case shifter. I haven't done the T.C. shifter yet and am wondering if the shaft is long enough to simply slip the adjustment enough, I'll know in the next day or two.

There are also two DHD T.C.'s, one for auto and one for stick. The shaft size and splines are different. You can change the input to match though, as I had to do since my DHD came from an auto truck.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by mprmnc
It's not a 12v vs. 24v thing on the transfer case, it's a 2500 vs. 3500 thing. I've heard that some 2500's came through with the DHD transfer cases, but I've never seen it.
FWIW, both of my 97's came with the DHD. Both had the heavy duty prep package, I think that is how they delineated which trucks got what.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
FWIW, both of my 97's came with the DHD. Both had the heavy duty prep package, I think that is how they delineated which trucks got what.
Cool, good to know. Do the '97's have the MONGO output shaft? I pulled a DHD from a '95 (I think it was a '95) and it had the small output shaft. I assume that means the ONLY thing making it a DHD was the wider chain. I'd like to know what year they changed the output shaft for future reference.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Can't help you there, I would almost assume it was with the switch to 6 speed.

Mine sure look like the standard shaft. Another difference is the DHD had a PTO available.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:48 AM

It's not a 12v vs. 24v thing on the transfer case, it's a 2500 vs. 3500 thing. I've heard that some 2500's came through with the DHD transfer cases, but I've never seen it. All the 3500's came with them, so look for a dually to scavenge. There are a few little things, but nothing like when I did my '93. You'll need the 6-speed clutch and starter spacer (or buy the conversion clutch from South Bend or Valair), lengthen the vacuum and vent lines to the transfer case, but rear driveshaft and lengthen front one, and lengthen the transfer case shifter. I haven't done the T.C. shifter yet and am wondering if the shaft is long enough to simply slip the adjustment enough, I'll know in the next day or two.

There are also two DHD T.C.'s, one for auto and one for stick. The shaft size and splines are different. You can change the input to match though, as I had to do since my DHD came from an auto truck.
Great this is some good information to know. I have been casually looking for a 98 12v 3500 4x4 5spped to do this swap on. Is there such thing as a heavy duty model 2nd gen 12v, if so how can you tell? When you did the rear disk conversion, did you us factory dodge parts of was it aftermarket?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 11:14 AM

My 96 has the DHD- the snow plow prep package specified it as well as another option package for 1996. I'm pretty sure I have the larger output shaft- almost positive it's a one piece output housing like the larger shaft has. I'll check next time I'm under it.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Yeah, let me know. I probably won't be doing this swap again as I'm keeping this truck 'til I die (God willing), but the information could help other guys looking to do something like this.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:27 AM

UPDATE

Well the front axle is in, but the darn brake hose that O'Reilly ordered for me came in wrong. I kept my inverted "T" steering linkage along with my adjustable, 3rd gen track bar. The toe-in will need to be reset though as it's WAY off since the ends of the knuckles are further apart on the newer style axles.

The front axle I'm using is from a 4-wheel ABS truck, and as such the left front brake hose is different from the trucks that only have RWABS. On the RWABS only trucks the upper fitting (the one on the frame) has places for the hard line coming in from the top, then also for the hard line going to the right front wheel coming out the side. On the 4-wheel ABS trucks there has to be a separate line going to each wheel, so there is no place on the side of the fitting for the right side line. NAPA is 3 days out and Autozone wants 50% more than anyone else. Carquest can't even get the line. My dad has a wrecked '01 with RWABS and I think I'm just going to go steal (borrow) the line off that truck provided it is in good condition so I can get the truck on the road.

The master cylinder is also in. You can see that the newer master cylinder has a MUCH larger reservoir. I believe even the 2000 model year trucks came with this master cylinder. Along with the larger reservoir comes a larger bore to match the surface area of the calipers. I was going to try using the old master cylinder, but decided with the rear discs and the dual piston fronts I didn't want to risk emptying the master cylinder. To change the master cylinder, you have to change the adapter piece behind it to match the larger bore and YOU MUST CHANGE THE PUSH ROD TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The smaller master cylinder has a deeper recess for the push rod than the newer one and if you install the newer one without changing the rod it will hang up the brakes, ask me how I know . Anyway, heading out today to get the brake line, along with a part for the frickin' Harley that broke during my shift last night. It sucks limping it home at 11:00 P.M. in the rain in second gear .
Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
Great this is some good information to know. I have been casually looking for a 98 12v 3500 4x4 5spped to do this swap on. Is there such thing as a heavy duty model 2nd gen 12v, if so how can you tell? When you did the rear disk conversion, did you us factory dodge parts of was it aftermarket?

Thanks
Wasn't trying to ignore you, sorry. I had similar question on another forum as it turned out and thought I'd already answered you. The rear axle is complete from a late '01. Dodge went to rear discs during the '01 model year. From the factory parts book I have it appears the changeover occurred on 07/05/00.

I know that the '01 model year production started VERY early. I had heard that Dodge didn't actually produce any '00 model year trucks, that they were all '01's, even those made in late '99 and early '00. But I have seen one or two trucks that said they were '00 models, so I can't really agree with that. But a running change in a 2001 model year occurring in July of 2000 means that the model year changed WAY before it normally does in September.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 PM

Wasn't trying to ignore you, sorry. I had similar question on another forum as it turned out and thought I'd already answered you. The rear axle is complete from a late '01. Dodge went to rear discs during the '01 model year. From the factory parts book I have it appears the changeover occurred on 07/05/00.

I know that the '01 model year production started VERY early. I had heard that Dodge didn't actually produce any '00 model year trucks, that they were all '01's, even those made in late '99 and early '00. But I have seen one or two trucks that said they were '00 models, so I can't really agree with that. But a running change in a 2001 model year occurring in July of 2000 means that the model year changed WAY before it normally does in September.
Its fine I appreciate you taking the time to show the build. Hmmm interesting, is your rear end still a dana 80? What gear ratio are you running in the truck? Overall it looks like it is coming along just fine, hope to do this same thing one day.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Any Updates on your swap?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:43 AM

Whew, yeah. The swap is done and have done a test drive. Trans shifts nicely and the slightly lower second gear makes the truck leave much easier. I'll need to drive it a little more, but may not make the swap to the 3.73 gears now. I've been in Denver for job training all week and have only had one day off in 21 days, so I haven't gotten the transfer case rod done yet and haven't been able to drive it since the test drive. I'll be home tomorrow and need to charge the batteries as I forgot to unplug the brake lights when I was doing the swap and had a rod holding the brake pedal down a little to prevent all the fluid from leaking out. Can't wait to get to driving it though.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:44 AM

Just realized I need to update my signature now. Have to do that later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NV4500 to NV5600 swap with newer axles