12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Cummins knocks and won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins knocks and won't idle

I have 1996 cummins with the 5.9 12 valve. I've had issues with this truck since I got it but it only has 180k on it so I know if I get it right it'll last me. I replaced the turbo after it blew out due to lack of oil (I have a cracked front cover but don't have the 2500 dollars to replace it). It was brought to a shop where they told me the HG was bad and that the front cover needed replacing. So I was like okay fine but they wanted 6 grand to replace those parts and the turbo, and the truck is hardly worth 6 grand in my opinion plus I'm not a magician and I can't pull 6 grand out of my a** on a daily basis. So I had it towed home where it sat for about a month I replaced the turbo started her up and what do you know, no overheating, no white smoke, nothing that would tell me the HG is bad, figured these guys were just trying to get some money out of me since they weren't very friendly or helpful, they just sort of looked at it after it sat at their shop for a month and said well you'll need 6 grand to fix it. Anyways I cranked it right up after a jump from a buddy and it didn't run funny, all pressures were good oil pressure was 40 psi at idle and 55-65 while running down the road. I drove it for a day and a half and while taking a buddy home I realized I had left it in 2nd for a good distance and I was trying to get it up to Highway speed and knew something was wrong. I shifted her into drive and the oil pressure backed off from around 70 and then at the next stoplight it stalled out. I cranked it up and it limped into a gas station. I checked the oil it was a little low so I added some and it cranked up fine but once I put it into drive it would try and stall out, I had to get him home so I drove about a 30 mile round trip with it still trying to stall out at every stop. While driving him home the engine started making a new noise I hadn't heard before. The next morning I cranked it up and it was knocking loud and hard. I turned off and tried cranking it again and it would die unless I kept my foot in it. So I'm sort of at a loss as to why it would have started knocking and why after it being left in 2nd it would just want to die. At speed it still knocks but all gauges are fine. But as of right now it knocks loud and won't hold an idle while in park or neutral. I'm not really super experienced with working on them but I have read that the knocking could be from a bad injector, is it possible that one or more of my injectors bit the dust while I was driving it in 2nd for the prolonged period of time or is my truck just screwed from running it with a knock even though I really had no choice. The last time it broke down was due to a blown turbo which sucked all of the oil out of the motor. I'm really just lost on where to start with fixing it. It's really my only way to get anywhere without borrowing my dad's old civic which going from a 96 cummins on 37s to a hybrid kind of sucks. But to get back on topic, as of right now, it knocks bad, and won't idle or do much of anything. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds like a possible torque converter or trans issue. If it was me and I didn't have the money to fix it I would take off the 37 inch tires and sell the to pay for the repairs. I am sure you can find 16" tires for cheap and get the front cover repaired. If not its just going to cost you more in repairs down the road.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deere country
Sounds like a possible torque converter or trans issue. If it was me and I didn't have the money to fix it I would take off the 37 inch tires and sell the to pay for the repairs. I am sure you can find 16" tires for cheap and get the front cover repaired. If not its just going to cost you more in repairs down the road.
After doing more research last night, and watching more videos on other people with knocking 5.9s I think it is an injector knock. It isnt a thud like you would get from a connecting rod hitting the oil pan it's more of a loud clacking at the top of the engine. I'm going to do an injector test today and see if this is my problem. And believe me I would sell the 37s if it wasn't on a 9 inch lift.