12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Considering buying a '95....any advice or tips are welcome

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering buying a '95....any advice or tips are welcome

I am considering purchasing a '95 3/4 ton, standard cab, auto, 2wd, to be a mild mods project truck/grocery getter. It's very clean inside and out, with 160k miles. I've taken it for a test drive (including highway @ 85 mph) and have noticed no trans issues or any other major problems, everything works...only problem found is a broken dash **** that controls cab temperature.
I will go back to look it over again and possibly negotiate a price (the fact that it needs new tires will help in my case)
Any common issues/problems to look out for?? What would be a fair price?? I know prices vary depending on location, but ballpark figures are what i'm looking for.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
Watch for rust.... frame, cab supports, etc. My 96 1500 is disintegrating from the bottom up. Cab supports collapsed, aft crossmembers disappearing.

IMO, the value of it is the engine, trans core, and rear end. I'd say $2-3k tops.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Around her, even a 2WD in decent shape will bring 4-6K if it is clean.

Rot drops it quick, down to the 2-3K range.

Don't know of any real issues other than the usual, KDP, etc.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
Watch for rust.... frame, cab supports, etc. My 96 1500 is disintegrating from the bottom up. Cab supports collapsed, aft crossmembers disappearing.

IMO, the value of it is the engine, trans core, and rear end. I'd say $2-3k tops.
Maybe for a 1500 series. But for a 160K 12V diesel in decent shape, I'd say you're way off. Not that everyone doesn't have a tale of their amazing find mint diesel for fourteen dollars and a half of a candy bar purchase but from the post it isn't a rotting rusted mess with a non-functioning transmission. 2K might be the going rate for something in that type of condition.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:48 PM

Check the blue book value on 20yo 2wd diesel dodge - thats what its worth. What some people will pay is another matter. Being insured for replacement can be tricky.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:19 PM

Check the blue book value on 20yo 2wd diesel dodge - thats what its worth. What some people will pay is another matter. Being insured for replacement can be tricky.
edit: Actually, what something is worth is in fact what someone will pay for it NOT what someone puts in a book. Book values can arbitrarily over or under value commodities (look at overvalued collectibles with "book" value and undervalued niche market vehicles as examples here.)

Your quote is actually inverted and should read: "What it's worth is what someone will pay for it. Book value is another matter."

I'm a bit surprised to see anyone on the forums quoting blue book value as basis of real value or one of these trucks. Insured value on is more or less irrelevant to a discussion of "what should I expect to pay for..."

I'm assuming we're talking "real market value". So hop on Craigslist in a few nearby cities and see what the 2nd gen 2wd DIESELS with under 200K and no issues are going for.

Now, if you wouldn't own one because of the discrepancy between blue book and real market value, than that's your call. But it doesn't seem accurate to tell someone seeking advice that they should have no trouble scooping of trouble free, good shape, under 200K 12 valves for 2k-3k.

Let propose a question in turn then... Your father is getting ready to retire and asks you to sell his nicely kept 175K miles 2wd 12 valve. Asks you to handle the sale for him and pass the cash along to him to add to his retirement funds. What do you ask for your father's truck in this situation?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Make a few panic stops and see if you can live with the brakes. My '98.5 w/hydroboost had very marginal brakes stock and unladen. Add a size up tire and a good load and it doesn't get any better.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by VIN#Diesel
edit: Actually, what something is worth is in fact what someone will pay for it NOT what someone puts in a book. Book values can arbitrarily over or under value commodities (look at overvalued collectibles with "book" value and undervalued niche market vehicles as examples here.)

Your quote is actually inverted and should read: "What it's worth is what someone will pay for it. Book value is another matter."

I'm a bit surprised to see anyone on the forums quoting blue book value as basis of real value or one of these trucks. Insured value on is more or less irrelevant to a discussion of "what should I expect to pay for..."

I'm assuming we're talking "real market value". So hop on Craigslist in a few nearby cities and see what the 2nd gen 2wd DIESELS with under 200K and no issues are going for.

Now, if you wouldn't own one because of the discrepancy between blue book and real market value, than that's your call. But it doesn't seem accurate to tell someone seeking advice that they should have no trouble scooping of trouble free, good shape, under 200K 12 valves for 2k-3k.

Let propose a question in turn then... Your father is getting ready to retire and asks you to sell his nicely kept 175K miles 2wd 12 valve. Asks you to handle the sale for him and pass the cash along to him to add to his retirement funds. What do you ask for your father's truck in this situation?
What he said.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:18 PM

A truck is worth what it fetches st wholesale/auction. What Joe Blow pays for it is obscured by other motivations.

I contribute my reality-check to these value threads because everybody loves to believe their truck is worth a small fortune. I live in a relatively soft market area imho (pacific northwest canada) with lots of sellers and less buyers. 2wd makes it undesireable.

I'd tell Pops to keep his truck because selling it wouldnt contribute anything significant to his retirement.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:40 PM

A truck is worth what it fetches st wholesale/auction.
You do realize that those wholesale/auction trucks are then re-sold the end user for more money right? So that very same truck typically sells within a month for at least $1k more. The very premise of your example is a venue that pays under market value for a good in order to bring them to the end user.

BTW, might want to hop on your local Craigslist to check those prices. Granted I only took 5 minutes but I hopped on to two separate Pacific NW (edit, U.S. not Canadian) cities to re-check my pricing thoughts and from what I saw you weren't even in the ball park with your numbers.

I've owned a few of these trucks over the years, shopped hard, took my time, and have bought and sold each of them for more than your estimates here.

Sorry to hear your 1500 gasser rotted out and is valueless but it doesn't have much bearing on the value of a clean Cummins powered 2500.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:48 PM

I'd pay 4k for it.

Having said that, 2 years ago I paid $3700 for a no-rust Ca 95 12V auto 4x4 Ram 3500 with ATS trans upgrade and exhaust brake. The paint was faded and minor body damage on the rear dually fender. It had 307k miles. The engine and trans runs like new!!! The only problem it had death wobble - I fixed it by decreasing the caster 2 degrees. It also was a smoker truck - nothing a good deodorizer and thorough steam cleaning can't fix.

Best use of $3700 ever. I towed a 10k 24ft trailer from Az to Ca as if nothing was behind it. I wouldnt sell it for less than double that, now that it has 19.5 wheels and tires.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by VIN#Diesel
You do realize that those wholesale/auction trucks are then re-sold the end user for more money right? So that very same truck typically sells within a month for at least $1k more. The very premise of your example is a venue that pays under market value for a good in order to bring them to the end user.

BTW, might want to hop on your local Craigslist to check those prices. Granted I only took 5 minutes but I hopped on to two separate Pacific NW (edit, U.S. not Canadian) cities to re-check my pricing thoughts and from what I saw you weren't even in the ball park with your numbers.

I've owned a few of these trucks over the years, shopped hard, took my time, and have bought and sold each of them for more than your estimates here.

Sorry to hear your 1500 gasser rotted out and is valueless but it doesn't have much bearing on the value of a clean Cummins powered 2500.
I know how the wholesale/retail game is played... used to work in it. CL is full of lofty ads for trucks that dont move - priced inline with trucks in more lucrative markets. The prices im suggesting actually sell trucks *here*.

My 1500 ram rustbucket is worth the $350 i paid for it. Its soaking up my leftover 2ndgen axles because theres no market for that stuff either.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
95 4x4 extended cab

I have a 95 4x4 automatic with I believe 3.54 gears. I am the second owner. The truck get 22 or so high way at 65 . I have a bed cover on it . I have around 180 k I think miles on it. Very clean truck. It has a stock automatic transmission, Number 10 fuel plate ,3 k governor kit, 215 injectors and 18 deg of timing. Boost will go to around 31 or so If I stand on the throttle. The brakes have had the one ton chev rear wheel cylinders.
Had to replace the pcm a while back. To be honest its not a speed demond but it pulls my trailers just fine. Waiting on the transmission to give it up to install a 6 speed manual. Of course the automatic works just fine for now . There are things that I plan on doing to the truck such as the ford front brakes bearings conversion. I like the truck as it is a 12 valve, thats not a money pit. Very reliable truck. No rust on the texas truck . Never had a problem with the crack dash. Have not made a payment on a car or truck in years. Not interested in buying a new one and the truck is worth a lot less when you drive it off the lot. Jim
Old 03-04-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KBB sez my 2nd owner grandpa creampuff '93 D250 LE 12V with 119k miles on it is worth $2812.00 and there ain't no way in Hell.
I was in real estate for years and had to tell fifty appraisers that, if you can find me another house like this for THAT price, I'll buy it. Matter of fact, I'll buy every single one you can find like this for that money.
Same deal here. Chances are very, VERY slim that you will find a truck like mine for 2800 bucks. More like almost double that. 5 grand for my truck would be a good buy because of it's VALUE.
What I'm sayin' here is that KBB on something old is pure BS. Maybe accurate on 2-3 year old Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys because they've got a ton of recent data.
Consider the VALUE you are getting on that truck, for the money. Is the VALUE there or isn't it? If it IS, then buy it. If not? Wait for another one to come along because it will. Good luck and I hope it is the truck you're looking for. H.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 AM

Thanks to all who have replied. Still considering making an offer on it, but nothing close to what they're asking ($7995). It sits at a car dealership, it will sit there a long while if they won't budge from that price.

Originally Posted by Danderson
Make a few panic stops and see if you can live with the brakes. My '98.5 w/hydroboost had very marginal brakes stock and unladen. Add a size up tire and a good load and it doesn't get any better.
Did that..the brakes (w. drum rears) on the lighter 2wd were only fair when compared the 2006's stopping power that i'm used to. That's something that needs attention...maybe an upgrade to rear discs??

Originally Posted by M1Lover
KBB sez my 2nd owner grandpa creampuff '93 D250 LE 12V with 119k miles on it is worth $2812.00 and there ain't no way in Hell.
I was in real estate for years and had to tell fifty appraisers that, if you can find me another house like this for THAT price, I'll buy it. Matter of fact, I'll buy every single one you can find like this for that money.
Same deal here. Chances are very, VERY slim that you will find a truck like mine for 2800 bucks. More like almost double that. 5 grand for my truck would be a good buy because of it's VALUE.
What I'm sayin' here is that KBB on something old is pure BS. Maybe accurate on 2-3 year old Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys because they've got a ton of recent data.
Consider the VALUE you are getting on that truck, for the money. Is the VALUE there or isn't it? If it IS, then buy it. If not? Wait for another one to come along because it will. Good luck and I hope it is the truck you're looking for. H.
Isn't the Kelly Blue Book used by insurance companies to lowball claims?? It's meaningless for sellers, but the buyers can agree with the values.
A hobby of mine is Smith & Wesson revolvers (and why i'm near broke), and the very same "book value" game is played by gun dealers who use the books to scam unsuspecting people selling or pawning off used firearms. The book will say $350- $400 for a certain model S&W that consistently sells for $1200 or better on Gunbroker.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a '95....any advice or tips are welcome