12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Borgeson or Redhead power steering gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borgeson or Redhead power steering gear?

I had steering slop in my 98 4x4........3rd generation trackbar/bracket, DSS, tried a borgeson steering shaft (went back to a new stocker), and a PSC 13/16 light valving steering gear. All this is over time.......the PSC steering gear was about 2 years ago. It has recently started leaking pretty bad and I've tried to read up on which direction to go.

I think I have it narrowed down to the Borgeson or Redhead.......but I want to use my existing steering shaft as it has no slop. I have read my DSS may not line up........I can cut and reweld that bracket if need be.

Which gear should I get and why?

Thanks.

Waylan
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 PM

I have both (in different trucks) and I will say Borgeson without a doubt. It's a much beefier setup, not just a good rebuild. Nothing against Redhead, but it's not as good as the Borgeson. The only caveat is that I haven't had the Borgeson long enough to comment on longevity, but considering the difference between the two I am confident it will long outlast the OEM setup.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got AGR gear box and pump with DSS with 3rd gen track AGR bar. Very nice! Been on since 07' and zero issues so far.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mishkaya
I have both (in different trucks) and I will say Borgeson without a doubt. It's a much beefier setup, not just a good rebuild. Nothing against Redhead, but it's not as good as the Borgeson. The only caveat is that I haven't had the Borgeson long enough to comment on longevity, but considering the difference between the two I am confident it will long outlast the OEM setup.
Can you elaborate more? Do you have pics? I know the borgeson advertises to be quicker ratio........is this true? How long have you had the redhead? Do you have a DSS and did it require modification? Did you use the borgeson shaft too or the stocker? Thanks.

Waylan
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by walexa
Can you elaborate more? Do you have pics? I know the borgeson advertises to be quicker ratio........is this true? How long have you had the redhead? Do you have a DSS and did it require modification? Did you use the borgeson shaft too or the stocker? Thanks.

Waylan
I believe the Borgeson is a modified Delphi box. I don't have any pics unfortunately. Have had the Redhead for a little over a year, and the Borgeson since last summer. The ratio is definitely quicker than the Redhead, and the steering is much more precise as well. The difference is tremendous to say the least. Both trucks have the DSS, and it did have to be modified ever so slightly for the Borgeson box. I did choose to use the Borgeson shaft, although it is not a necessity. Anyone who has driven my truck recently with the Borgeson box has commented on how much nicer the steering is now...
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 AM

I agree- I just installed the Borgeson (it is a Delphi) box and the steering shaft. Made a world of difference- I also have a steering box brace. Good road feel and tracks straight. One interesting fact -- from Borgeson the box comes with three spacer washers that they weld to to the box because they say that is what was required to have the box fit the 12v 4X4 test rig they used. Mine is a 2 X 4 and I found that I had to cut off the three spacers for it to bolt up like the stock box-also this allowed me to reuse my steering brace with no modifications. I find it interesting but this box measures the same as my stock box from the sector shaft center to the mounting surfaces so it make no sense to me why the spacers are required for the 4x4. I did have to send the box back since it was weeping a bit from the top plate and Borgeson replaced the O rings no problem. The only problem was that the place I bought the box from would not credit me for the shipping to Borgeson to have it fixed because they did not want to pay the 4% credit card fee and Borgeson would not credit me directly. So the store simply stiffed me- not Borgeson's fault but that extra $30 to ship added to the already high price of the Borgeson box.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM

MarkT,
I recently installed the Borgeson box as well and likewise experienced weeping from the top plate. I'm confident it was not the PS hoses...they're new and stayed dry while the top plate was visibly wet. Wiped off P/S fluid from around the top plate on 5 occasions and it continued to weep noticably in 10 miles or less driving. Sent it back to Borgeson and they pressure tested it and said it didn't leak per comments on the receipt. Did they discover the weeping when they pressure tested yours?...or did they replace the o-rings, then pressure test? Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 12:23 AM

I'm also in need of a new box on one of my trucks. The borgeson sounds nice but the current weeping problems discourages me. Has anyone else recently bought a borgeson and had or not had this problem? Also on a 4x4 what mods to the DSS have to be made in order to fit a borgeson box. that could be a deal breaker for me. The DSS is required.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
i had the weeping from the top ,aluminum plate , and after having it out and replacing the gasket with same results i finaly looked it over with a magnifing glass and found a hair line crack !
went to j y and got a top plate off a off a jeep box installed it and no more leak !
i did my own stear box reseal and adj and couldnt be happier 1
Old 04-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by James.daley
MarkT,
I recently installed the Borgeson box as well and likewise experienced weeping from the top plate. I'm confident it was not the PS hoses...they're new and stayed dry while the top plate was visibly wet. Wiped off P/S fluid from around the top plate on 5 occasions and it continued to weep noticably in 10 miles or less driving. Sent it back to Borgeson and they pressure tested it and said it didn't leak per comments on the receipt. Did they discover the weeping when they pressure tested yours?...or did they replace the o-rings, then pressure test? Thanks
James- sorry I do not check the forum too often. Borgeson never told me if they pressure tested the box- ticket just says that they installed new O rings and sent it back. One thing that you should do is replace the O rings on the pressure lines to the box. I found that after I replaced the box the second time they would not seal. I installed new O rings out of an O ring supply I have and no more line leaks. If they did pressure test your box and it past then pull the lines and put on new O rings--if they are leaking they can make it look like the top plate is leaking.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
my son installed a Borgeson and it leaked from day 1 and they did not stand behind it!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by rebal
my son installed a Borgeson and it leaked from day 1 and they did not stand behind it!
Between that and the other posts I think I'll go with the red head. 500k miles on the stock box so a slightly up graded one will work just fine I think.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:15 AM

I have a meridian qs 12 to 1 ratio box and talked to them about the borgeson box which is a series 600 delphi box, they said that it is a much better and stronger box then the factory box. I am thinking about going with it and selling the meridian, but I haven't made up my mind. I am also thinking about the third gen with the bracket.