12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Anyone changed their own nv4500 mainshaft? I need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone changed their own nv4500 mainshaft? I need help

I need some direction on how to get the main shaft out of the case. I have it torn down to this point.

I took the 4 bolts out of the bearing retainer plate behind 5th gear that thread into the case. The plate hole is too small for it to slide over 5th gear and off the shaft.....it also has shims behind it that I can see.

My guess is that I have to take 5th gear nut off and then somehow pull 5th gear off with a puller.....doesn't look like I can get any puller jaws behind the 5th gear though.

I bought a 5th gear nut tool and it is being shipped.

Any pointers on getting this main shaft out of the case?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:17 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mainshaft comes out as an assembly from the front of the transmission housing when you pull the input shaft. You remove the nut and the tail housing, the top and shift forks, then the input shaft bearing retainer bolts, and the entire assembly carefully slides out the front.

Then you pull the mainshaft off the rear of that assembly after you remove the Speedometer Drive Rotor, the Mainshaft Overdrive Gear (5th), Mainshaft Rear Bearing Cup, Mainshaft Reverse Washer, Reverse Mainshaft Gear, Reverse Mainshaft Sleeve, Needle Bearing, Reverse Gear Spacer, Retaining Ring, Reverse Clutch Gear, Mainshaft 1st & 2nd Bearing, Mainshaft 1st Speed Gear, then the Mainshaft slides out of the cup bearing on the backside of the input shaft.

If you are trying this without the transmission book, a set of long feelers, a good dial indicator and mounting base, don't. Setting up the spacers for thrust takes much more than just putting it back like it was. I assume you are installing one of the new mainshafts with the longer splines and the retaining ring to hold 5th on the shaft, which is an excellent choice.

If you do not have the transmission repair manual try txchange.com and order one.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 AM

Thanks for the reply.....I am converting to a 5 speed from auto. I bought a 2wd tranny and converting it to 4wd mainshaft.

I have it torn down to where I should be able to pull the main shaft out of the case, but I can't. As I stated above.....the bearing retainer plate behind 5th gear is too small to fit over the gear and slide off.

I have more tools than the average joe. I have any kind of magnetic base and dial indicator you can imagine. I've been told end play on main shaft should be .003" when putting back together......regardless, I need to get it apart first and then worry about putting it back together and setting up tolerances.

The way it looks to me is that there isn't any possible way the main shaft will come out of the case UNLESS I take 5th gear nut off and also pull 5th gear off the shaft. Then the retaining plate would slide off and main shaft could be pulled out. Only problem I see is that there isn't enough room to pull 5th gear off when it is still in the case......I see no way of getting jaws around the gear to pull it off......it's too close to the case housing.

I think I can get by without a manual, which is the reason I'm asking on here.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:40 AM

I went ahead and bought a manual. Found out bearing/gear collet pullers are expensive. Hopefully I can get by without buying them.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 PM

I think you'll be able to slide the gear right off.
I believe that the gear was a slip-fit anyway. I definitely may very well be wrong. The mainshaft/gear will wear and rock, working the 5th gear nut off. That's what happens when you hear of someone losing 5th gear. Mine fell right off, for what it's worth.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by merr6267
I think you'll be able to slide the gear right off.
I believe that the gear was a slip-fit anyway. I definitely may very well be wrong. The mainshaft/gear will wear and rock, working the 5th gear nut off. That's what happens when you hear of someone losing 5th gear. Mine fell right off, for what it's worth.

Good luck.
Good deal....hopefully mine will too when I get the nut wrench in the mail.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 AM

Here is a web page where someone took a nv4500 to bits with pics, hope it helps. http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Gaza
Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RCW
If you are trying this without the transmission book, a set of long feelers, a good dial indicator and mounting base, don't. Setting up the spacers for thrust takes much more than just putting it back like it was.
Boy, I can't stress this part enough. If you don't know the thrust specs, you'll destroy gears later on.

Doing just the mainshaft is easy, but of course if you have the right 5th gear nut wrench for the install.
After you have the top off the trans, remove 5th gear first, then take the input shaft off. Once the rear bearing retainer is off, then the whole mainshaft assembly will come right out.
Just be sure to lay all your synchros and gears facing the proper direction they came out..you don't want to put anything in backwards.
And be sure to have a good strong set of snap ring pliers that also grip real well, those darn snap rings will test your patience!

I saved a couple pics of one from last year.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 PM

Got the 5th gear NUT off with the tool.......5th gear doesn't just slide right off on mine. I'll have to figure out a way to pull it off.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Got 5th gear off now. Had to use a big screwdriver and hammer.....then firmly tap the gear off the splines.

Main shaft is out now and most of the gears are off........stuck at getting the tapered bearing off the shaft now.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:50 PM

Got the bearing off. I called around and found the bearing at O'reilly auto parts in stock for $25.00. I just destroyed the bearing to get it off

I'm not wasting time trying to save a $25.00 bearing. It's going back together now.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 AM

Tranny is all back together.

Things I used and needed to swap the 2wd mainshaft to a 4wd shaft:

Heavy duty lock ring pliers
$25 mainshaft rear bearing
Roll pin drivers
Red and blue locktite
A cheap parts washer is nice
NV4500 shim kit
magnetic base and dial indicator
$20 rebuild manual from quad 4x4
5th gear nut wrench
3/4" drive torque wrench with a 300 lb ft rating to torque 5th gear nut
Rear tailhousing for a 4wd (shorter)
4x4 mainshaft
stove/oven and freezer.....I used this method instead of a press.