3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission Shop in Northern Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Shop in Northern Virginia

I have been having some issues with my transmission following a DTT valve body installation. In case the easy remedies don’t work I may be looking for a transmission shop nearby that can address my issues as well as possibly rebuild my transmission if that is the case. I live about 40 miles west of DC just past of Manassas do any of you have any recommendations of any good transmission guys that work on our trucks out this way?
Thanks,
D
Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 AM

x2
I've got a VB and TC in my future.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 AM

It may be a drive, but it's worth it....

Tim Barber of TRE Diesel over in Virginia Beach. I will gladly drive there from Ohio ANY time I need a Dodge tranny built. One of the best!

Chris
Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Another thumbs up for Tim Barber. A heck of a nice guy and he knows his sh#% !

Chip
Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 PM

Thumbs up TRE Diesel Performance

I had Tim from TRE do mine too... best set up I have had so far. I have never seen someone so meticulous in my life. I live in NC and was worth the trip. I just got my bosses truck done there two weeks ago-
Old 12-29-2010, 04:29 AM

I've driven to Tim's three times over the years to get trans/engine upgrades done. I wouldn't go anywhere else now......

What is the issue you are having with the trans?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 AM

What trans modifications have you guys done there? Those of you that have had new transmission put in, which option did you guys go with? He offered me a full DTT, rebuild mine with a DTT kit or rebuild mine with his own parts.

As far as my issues go, after installing the DTT the shift kit I started getting a loud slamming noise when the truck had reached 3rd gear and the then decelerated slowly. Under heavy breaking it did not make this noise. I called DTT to discuss this. They told me that the clunking noise was 3rd gear releasing. I was concerned that the clunking noise would have adverse effects on the transmission and the truck as a whole. DTT told me that it was not hurting anything. This clunking noise seems to be getting more pronounced and I no longer believe that this was not hurting something. Additionally every time the truck had been parked for more than a couple of hours it would need to idle for several minutes in order to build up transmission pressure to get moving, basically excessive drainback. I called DTT again with these issues and they had me send the valve body to them to have them look at it.
I called DTT after they had received my valve body and they told me that overall my installation of the kit was pretty good. On the two issues I had this is how he addressed them:
Drain back- DTT said that the hole I had drilled was bigger then it was supposed to be. He plugged the hole, but I am not sure if he plugged and re-drilled it or partially plugged it. Whatever they did it did not work.
Violent downshift- DTT said that they put the original 1-2 and 2-3 springs back in the valve body.
There fix addressed the down shift issue but not the drainback. About two months after Installing the rebuilt VB I started driving one morning and noticed that my RPM were at 2200 doing 50 MPH. The tow haul switch was off and it basically looked like it was not going into 4th gear/OD. I looked at the DTC and initially some popped up P2769, P0973, P0713 and P0868. At first I thought that my OD & TCC solenoid and harness was the issues because all the trouble codes had to do with sensors & solenoids on that harness. I reset the codes and they never came back, I think the codes came up because I had unplugged the 8 pin harness to the valve body while the ignition was on.
So basically that is where I am at today.
Yesterday I ordered a new OD/TCC solenoid and a Sonnax PR and manual valve. Sealing one of the holes I drilled in the VB and to provide TC flow in park and replacing it with the Sonnax valves should address the drainback issue. As far as my shift to the 4th gear issue I figure I would try the $100 option first before I go see if this is something more serious
Old 12-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Whatever Tim does will be great, whether it's his parts, or DTT...the man knows what he's doing...and I'd bet he would work with you until you're happy.

Just make absolutely sure you are honest with him (and yourself) about what you want. That way you get what you want the first time.

It's a 600 mile drive for me to see Tim, but it's one I'll make with a smile on my face when I need tranny work!
Chris
Old 10-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Wow. Wow. Wow. Just got my truck back from Tim and team at TRE. Rebild w/ billet input and triple disk TC. 10/100 fuel plate and 3k gov spring. Wow. This is how Dodge should have built them.

Tim and team were great. Super rates/value too.