3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

trans temp sensor 48re

Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans temp sensor 48re

gosh where is this sensor in the valve body by itself, or is it a part of the pressure governor solenoid? gosh
Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM

Part of the governor pressure sensor.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:39 PM

thanks man

I found a detailed parts breakdown of the 48RE
Yes it does say exactly this -governor pressure soleniod/transducer etc
thank you all so much.

The reasons for me going to the trouble is I wanted to learn more about it. In the past with transmission issues I have had some pretty rough horror stories with other diesel trucks where I paid big money only to have problems return, come back, or other symptoms to show up quickly. One time I paid 4200.00 back in 1998 for a huge mess that I had to fix myself in less than 5000 miles. I was never reimbursed, explained to and actually felt like suing someone, but really I aint like that. I suppose this site is filled with some great family men and people who want the performance and power they pay for as a part of thier life and being anchors in there community and families. I have a great deal of respect for this site and the people who replied to let me in on some probably simple information that helps me a great deal know how things work, and savings of time and money from maybe finding an unqualified or trained technician. One website flat out shows no shops here in New Mexico are listed as qualified to dig into the 48RE(perhaps the dealers but they arent even listed).
Once again thanks so much. Hopefully my little problem and process will help someone else simply by what is typed here. I was smart enough to change my fuel filer as well as tranny service. Imagine that.
Another thing to add is I feel this dodge product I have is a very good one. The door date shows 11-2004 on my 5.9. 128k and really my own busyness caused all this to happen. The truck is a valuable asset to me, my son, my daughter and a small biz I have. Blessings to all of you. Brad in New Mexico
128K and still a great vehicle!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Where, pray tell, did you find the 48re diagram(IPL) and info?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jokers
Where, pray tell, did you find the 48re diagram(IPL) and info?
Factory service manual for your truck has all the schematics and diagrams.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Thanks no_6_oh_no. I was hoping to not have to buy a $400+ manual.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:01 PM

parts breakdown 48RE auto tranny

you can find the parts breakdown and some pictures at

www.automaticchoice.com
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the link 05dodgebrad!
Old 10-17-2010, 07:52 PM

48re transmission 05 dodge-temp/pressure sensor

Ok so I have posted some problems, got some help, had some other particualr issues well the story continues.

After doing ALOT of research and a few repairs I am left with one final note of advice to everyone who has an 03, 04, 05, or maybe even and 06 48RE in the truck. Here goes.
The dealer has the part number mixed up. Chrysler LLC has a diagram of the transmission, as does automaticchoice.com.
What nobody except and expert ( like ASE certed transmission guy for dodge with some experience at maybe two dealers here in NM) can really decipher the trial and error they want built into the procedure from bad diagrams, crossed up part numbers and confusing and overlapping nomenclature and verbage so you can pay them. To do what I think may never be clear, but we all know we pay cause we want the vehicle back. When you change the transducer(if you do) really will help smooth shifts, better shifts, and properly timed shifts, you also must replace the pressure sensor(or that what they call it). Funny it is also a temperature sensor. They show the pressure adjustor screw on the other side of the tranny as the pressure sensor. The temperature/pressure sensor is in fact a separate part and plugs into with four wires. This is the most commonly cooked part in the transmission. Not from the cooling line, not from anything other than having cooked fluid.
The temp/press sensor is not shown on any diagram i found anywhere properly but yet is is there and hooked to the cylinder that the pressure governor/transducer is opening and closing under normal operation.
The pressure temperature sensor must be replaced along with the governor solenoid. The facts are it is NOT in the governor solenoid, it is next to it and is a separate part. The dealer was lost, the parts place was lost, a transmission shop played dumb, automatic choice .com does not have the part clearly marked but yet it is a key factor on delivering the proper voltage to many parts in the transmission. 48RE means electric shifting dependent.
code p 0713 is in fact voltage to high (temperature sensor) and doesnt mean anything other than the best options are replace temperature/pressure sensor
because it does both and can fail 8 different ways. If one does not replace the governor pressure solenoid at the same time they will most likely have problems. The pressure/temp sensor are one in the same on the 11-04 5.9 4wd one ton so called 2005 dodge Cummins 4wd automatic vehicle. Other I am not so sure BUT I think the 48RE was used in many many years makes and models, particularly anything with the 5.9 cummins in it. Someone posted the temp sensor is in the governor solenoid it is NOT, it is next to it, plugs in separate, and works in conjunction with the main governor pressure solenoid which in fact runs all fluid through it before it can select to any gear.
This is what I learned by making time to clear up what people say informed is, from top to bottom. You are welcome, and thanks again from anyone that tried to help. Brad.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

The trans temp sensor is part of the gov pressure sensor, been that way since 1999 when it was added. All you need to know is the gov pressure sensor and year and you get the correct part. The FSM details what functions are on that sensor in a couple places I believe.

The OE sensor is a POS, just like the gov solenoid. There are really no options available for a better part as it is pretty specific. If you do a search you will see I and others recommend changing BOTH sensor and solenoid when your having problems. Even then no guarantee that will fix it as the sensors can and will be bad out of the box.

Most of the time you won't get any codes indicating problems because the solenoid isn't monitored for issues only the transducer. Codes mean the sensor and probably the solenoid is bad, no codes and crappy shifting usually means the solenoid is bad.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 PM

48re sensors etc

naw the pressure and temp sensor are on in the same part and clip into the same manifold as the governor pressure solenoid but yep two different parts
I do have one persistent code I am getting rid of, trans temp sensor voltage too high, that's the sensor not the solenoid, and yes a different parts and part number BUT they work in conjunction with each other
they are spearate part and yes are sold separately and no I dont think they are POS ( 125k without one prob is fine with me)just stock, without an entire valve body change out which i dont want to do yet that's what the deal is-- thanks.. Brad
Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Two functions, one part AFAIK. I don't find a listing for the temp sensor unless its an obscure one. http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00053397a.htm

Your lucky you got that out of the sensor\solenoid. Most of the time about 40k and they start causing problems. Always replace the pair and the problems gone. I am on the 3rd set in my truck.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Hey man thanks, yeah , one owner, I dont tow all the time but I have towed some big stuff.
128k 11-04 dodge laramie 4dr loaded factory and stock air cleaner and intake only, 5.9 4dr 4wd auto trans 20.8 mpg overall avg mileage, Take care. Brad
Old 03-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Same Problem

Hey Brad,

I am having the same problem with the same code. I am trying to get this one figured out also. Like you mentioned before people at Dodge are not helpful and want me just to bring the truck in so that can charge me both my arms and both my legs. Yesterday I got the two parts and am having my dad install them. Where are they located? and.... is it under the pan? This has been such a headache. Thanks for all your information, very useful!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:18 PM

Brad are you still around??!!
I am wondering if you have any input for the fuel system? Being that your awesome suggestion worked for the very same issue above!