3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stuck in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in 4wd

This morning when I backed out of the drive way I noticed some binding at the front wheel with the steering cranked over. I looked down at the dash and the 4x4 light was on. I then checked the selector switch for the electric transfer case, thinking one of the kids must have turned it to 4wd. To my surprise it was still set to 2wd. I then selected the 4wd setting and the 4x4low light started flashing as if the switch was now set to 4x4low. I tried all settings and various gears including reverse to try and get back to 2wd but to no avail and the truck is now stuck in 4x4. I tried resetting the PCM by removing its fuse but that didn't help either. I'm beginning to think the switch is faulty?

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any suggestions for what I can try to remedy this before seeing the dealer. My current Flash is AU and I haven't gone in yet to get the recall done.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:43 PM

If an auto, put the truck in neutral, flip the switch to 4x4 low until the 4x4 indicator light stops flashing? Are you able to do this? If it it won't shift, to 4x4 low try putting it in drive and back to neutral then try again.

When my 06' was new, I had a similiar fault. Getting it into and out of 4x4 low freed up the transfer case for normal 4x4 hi shifts. It took a few patient tries. Never had a problem since.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 PM

I can switch it into 4 low easily and have done this several times already as I too hoped it would allow me to switch back into 2wd. The weird thing is that the 4 low light also blinks when the switch is in 4wd. Here is what the swich now does:

2wd - truck says in 4wd.
4wd - 4 low blinks. It will stop blinking and engage 4 low if it is put into neutral.
4low - 4 low blinks. It will stop blinking and engage 4 low if it is put into neutral.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 AM

Looks like a trip to the shop. Unless you're close, insist they flatbed it to the dealer for you.

I've had several late model automatic transfer cases. Never had a problem. I use 4x4 everyday. I believe this is the reason the transfer cases have been so reliable.

When they fix it, make sure you engage hi and low at least once a month.

Let us know what they come up with and Good Luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Apache1
Looks like a trip to the shop. Unless you're close, insist they flatbed it to the dealer for you.

I've had several late model automatic transfer cases. Never had a problem. I use 4x4 everyday. I believe this is the reason the transfer cases have been so reliable.

When they fix it, make sure you engage hi and low at least once a month.

Let us know what they come up with and Good Luck.
Ok, so I took the truck in yesterday morning and the dealer called back to say it needed a new shift motor and I would have to wait overnight for the part to be delivered. Today they replace the motor but it still isn't fixed. Now they suspect the switch, but it is on back order until next week. I got the truck back and have to leave it in 2wd until the switch is replaced, otherwise it will get stuck in 4wd. I'll keep you posted when it goes back in the shop.

The good news is I also got the G30 recall done and the latest AV flash seems to have cured the harsh shifting I had occassionally under light throttle release with the exhaust brake on.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Ok. Thanks for the update FishOn.

I can attest with my hard use that these electronic 4 x 4 transfer case systems are pretty reliable these days. I think you drew a bad switch. I was surprised they replaced the motor before the switch. Anyway, when it's fixed you should be trouble free. Just exercise your 4 x 4 once in awhile.

By the way, when I ordered my new 08' they said I could no longer order the TRX4 Offroad package on the 3500 (like I did on my 06')?

When we used the dealer order software they couldn't input the TRX4 Offroad package, so we had to build up the options separately. On yours, did you order it with theTRX4 Offroad or buy it off the lot?

How do you like the truck overall?

Just curious and thanks.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Apache1
Ok. Thanks for the update FishOn.

I can attest with my hard use that these electronic 4 x 4 transfer case systems are pretty reliable these days. I think you drew a bad switch. I was surprised they replaced the motor before the switch. Anyway, when it's fixed you should be trouble free. Just exercise your 4 x 4 once in awhile.

By the way, when I ordered my new 08' they said I could no longer order the TRX4 Offroad package on the 3500 (like I did on my 06')?

When we used the dealer order software they couldn't input the TRX4 Offroad package, so we had to build up the options separately. On yours, did you order it with theTRX4 Offroad or buy it off the lot?

How do you like the truck overall?

Just curious and thanks.
I too was surprised that they swapped the motor before the switch. I asked the service writer about that as well and he said their diagnostic tool suggested the motor. Also he said they had no way of testing to confirm the switch was faulty. I then asked him if swapping the switch would fix it and he said it should as those were the only two components that could be faulty. I suggested it could also be the wiring or a bad connection and he just shrugged his shoulders.

When I ordered my truck the TRX4 was also no longer available as a package and I had to build up the options separately.

I am very happy with the truck. This is my first diesel and I am impressed with the power, 6speed auto and exhaust brake. I have a slide in camper and tow a boat. The truck will cruise at 75mph and never shift down from 6th even in mountaineous terrain. I am a little dissapointed in the mileage as it seems to be 1.5-2mpg less than the 5.9 owners are reporting. I get 14-15mpg (60%hwy, 40% city), 17-18mpg (hwy empty) and 11-12mpg (camper and towing boat). I am hoping it will still improve as I only have about 7000 miles on the motor.

I had a couple of mystery CELs but never had any dpf, turbo or egr issues. I have always had the dealer perform the latest flashes as they became available.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Appreciate the heads up. You'll appreciate your diesel's capabilities more and more with every mile. You'll enjoy driving more too.

Your mileage isn't too bad as my 5.9 averages about 15 to 16.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Well, the saga continues. Took the truck back in yesterday as the back ordered switch was in. Technician replaced the switch and it did not resolve the problem. Next he tried updating the TIPM flash and that didn't help either. Then he ordered in a new TIPM, another switch motor and replaced those today. Guess what......still no go. Now they are suppplying me with a rental vehicle for the weekend as the technician is off tomorrow and won't be able to resume working on the truck until Monday. My patience is starting to grow thin.

Has anyone else ever had this problem with their 4wd? Any techies that are members here, feel free to chime in as I don't think my dealer knows what to try next.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

lemon it. get a new one

brett
Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM

I have a 3500 08 mega. I had the exact same problem. i could not get it out and it did flash just as you were saying,, I drove it up and down the road,, shut it off, put it in neutral,, nothing,, I just left it in 2wd and about 5 min later it finally went back to 2 wd..... worries me that next time i may not be able to get out of 4wd at all.. guess i was lucky? Keep us posted as to what the dealer finds please.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:32 AM

Makes me wonder why they did away with the manual transfer case shifter. I remember shortly after I got mine, I was in for service and the sales guy told me they stopped making trucks with the manual shift for the transfer case. I have a manual shift.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 AM

This is the exact reason I went with the manual 4WD shift transfer case. I can't believe the shifting motor would wear out.

-Chris
Old 12-15-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by FishOn
This morning when I backed out of the drive way I noticed some binding at the front wheel with the steering cranked over. I looked down at the dash and the 4x4 light was on. I then checked the selector switch for the electric transfer case, thinking one of the kids must have turned it to 4wd. To my surprise it was still set to 2wd. I then selected the 4wd setting and the 4x4low light started flashing as if the switch was now set to 4x4low. I tried all settings and various gears including reverse to try and get back to 2wd but to no avail and the truck is now stuck in 4x4. I tried resetting the PCM by removing its fuse but that didn't help either. I'm beginning to think the switch is faulty?

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any suggestions for what I can try to remedy this before seeing the dealer. My current Flash is AU and I haven't gone in yet to get the recall done.
i had the exact same problem on my chevy...turned out to be a software problem...
Old 01-27-2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by rallydriver
This is the exact reason I went with the manual 4WD shift transfer case. I can't believe the shifting motor would wear out.

-Chris
My Sentiments exactly.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4wd