General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

6.0 Powerstroke vs. Cummins 600

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Powerstroke vs. Cummins 600

Obviously this is a Dodge forum so I know which one you guys will like better, but I'd like to hear exactly why the Cummins is better. I am looking at getting a truck and need some good research before I lay down my money.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:16 AM
Banned

This should be interesting.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:46 AM

I really only have 3 reasons, 1. Inline 6 less moving parts 2. I like the sound better 3. Look at what most over the road trucks have in them, "inline" configuration not "V". But most people don't keep a truck very long anymore, so if you stay within warranty with a 6.0 Powerstroke you will be O.K.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:32 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
In my Cummins, I can actually drive PAST the dealership...
Old 04-02-2004, 06:44 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Cummins supplies to a whole lot of machines worlwide- so chances are good that you'll find some Cummins store with original spares and qualified technicians for your engine. Also since the Cummins in the Dodge is detuned (for the older ones like the 24V and the 12V) it's a usually very reliable engine that only suffers from massive boredom in this light duty application.
It's quite easy to put some more get up an go into it while staying at the power levels that were intended during construction of this engine.
That's why I like my cummins- and the 2nd gen is the truck that I like best for looks.

AlpineRAM
Old 04-02-2004, 01:13 PM

Here's my take:

The Ford is a new design. New motor, new supplier for the injection system via ford, not International. New trans. EGR and VGT turbo. There were some issues with it's rollout. My dealer admits to that. They also say that '04 is fixed. But do you trust it yet? Or give it some time? The PSD was also loud, which I didn't like. Part of the fixing of the motor was to turn off the pilot injection that helps make diesels quiet. And the steering on the F250SD I drove wasn't good. Took a lot of steering corrections to keep it straight.

The Cummins is an old design that keeps getting updated. The latest update was the HPCR fuel system which was rolled out in '03. Bosch supplied the HPCR hardware, and they are a quality supplier with a lot of experience with this. It's driven by Cummins/Motorola electronics, they have a long standing relationship. Cummins did the software and the setup. Even the new 600 for the most part is the exact same hardware. No EGR, no high-tech turbo. It was reliable and remains reliable for the most part. The HPCR cummins motors are quiet, which I like, and powerful. The 600 has some weird pinging, but I didn't find it annoying on the test drive at least. The interior is a personal choice, but driving the F250SD and the 2500RAM (both 4x4) on the same stretch of bumpy off camber road the Ram was MUCH nicer to keep going straight. It was night and day.

I also like the fact that Cummins acknowledges the RAM as their product. They mention it on their web page, they answer questions about it if you send them email.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
In my Cummins, I can actually drive PAST the dealership...
I can do that also with my 2004 6.0. Never been back to the shop. Anyone's shop! since I bought it last August...
Old 04-02-2004, 06:37 PM

Well, you must be one of the lucky ones!!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:51 PM

My answer would be to look at the picture floating around showing all three connecting rods. If they built the bottom end so well, it should last a good long time.
My 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having had various models of Cummins engines nearly thirty years they've hardly made an engine that screwed up as badly as Navistar's 6.0

Whenever my Dodge dealer was unable to service my vehicles, the Cummins dealer down the street did. I doubt you could take a Ferd to a Navi dealer and get that same service.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:32 PM

Looks like I will be going with the Cummins
Old 04-02-2004, 07:45 PM

Excellent choice my friend! Also, the CTD is classified as a medium duty engine and the PSD is a light duty engine. I'd rather have an overkill engine and know that it wouldn't self-destruct anytime soon.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:34 PM

lheebie,
Last August was only 8 months ago. I've taken my Dodge to the dealer twice. Neither time was for an engine-related problem. It's been 6 years, 9 months, and about 12 days now. May you have the same fortune.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:22 AM

Thats what i'm saying. These Powerstroke owners just dont get it. They talk about how reliable their truck with 20,30,40,50 thousand miles is. Lets see if they are singing the same tune when their warranty ends. I bet most won't make it that far, they will either sell them or burn them. My truck has 145k on it. I drive it every day, stop and go stop and go, 80 MPH on the highway, stop, idle, and it has been to the dealer 1 time. To fix a recall. Any of you Powerstroke owners out there with that many miles and that few problems, I tip my hat to you, but i doubt I will find many.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:41 AM

I like my Powerstroke, but it aint no Cummins. The truck is a tank compared to the Dodge truck. There is alot of things I like about my Ford and alot that dont like about it. I lived by Dodge/Cummins since 1996 but still got a Ford this time around. Overall I am happy with my Ford. (so Far ) I am pulling an avg about 15,000# of cattle 5 to 6 times a week and have right at 4000 miles on my Ford with no problems. Not even made the first payment to FCC let.

Quick Reply: 6.0 Powerstroke vs. Cummins 600