Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Programmer / Tuner / Chip Recommendations Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programmer / Tuner / Chip Recommendations Please!

As you can see in my signature I have really opened up the air/exhaust side of things and would like to get a programmer next to add fuel. Are there any that particularly shorten the VP44 life? I would like to be able to: adjust timing, adjust fuel delivery, remove electronic boost limiter (I already have wastegate set to 35psi but computer cuts it at 23 psi), recalculate speedometer for larger tires and pull/read codes. I already have gauges but if I could consolidate everything into a screen that would be nice. Does the Edge include sending units for fuel pressure, EGT, and Turbo? 1/4mile, 0-60, g-force, etc would be cool but not necessary.
I know lots of questions, and if you want me to continue searching more on my own I understand!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 PM

my edge juice with attitude already came on my truck so I'm not absolutely certain that it comes with everything you need, but I believe it does for all the gauges. you can recalculate speedometer on it, but only the speedometer on the edge. it reads codesand deletes the boost limiter I think. you can have up to 4 gauge readings on the screen at the same time and my experience with the edge is it's not hard on the vp44 cause I got 230,000 on my original pump. That being said .... I'm sure there's better programers out there
Old 11-25-2014, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by dubc2323
my edge juice with attitude already came on my truck so I'm not absolutely certain that it comes with everything you need, but I believe it does for all the gauges. you can recalculate speedometer on it, but only the speedometer on the edge. it reads codesand deletes the boost limiter I think. you can have up to 4 gauge readings on the screen at the same time and my experience with the edge is it's not hard on the vp44 cause I got 230,000 on my original pump. That being said .... I'm sure there's better programers out there
Thank you that is helpful. So you cant recalibrate odometer?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:44 PM

no it just gives you a true speedometer on the edge moniter
Old 11-26-2014, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hallio217
Thank you that is helpful. So you cant recalibrate odometer?
illegal to adjust the odometer.

I'm not a huge fan of edge but that is me. Ive been really impressed with
TST. and the fuel only ability based on boost but does not change speedo or nothing else exciting.
read about their products,
http://tstproducts.com/98-0224valvedodgeram-1.aspx

TS MVP www.tsperformance.com

smarty , more adjustability with the VP-44 and tuning. Best when paired with more parts. injectors, timing box, turbo etc. clears codes, speedo etc.

I have used these in past or currently due to the power they made for what i have on my truck. I felt or feel with my current set up this is the most powerful. If I swap out my HO VP for a SO VP I would then either keep what I have and then add the TS MVP and stack the TST with smarty.

or I would be looking at blue chip diesel and his FMS box.

really before you start spending money , really look at what you want out of the truck and what you want say 2-3 years from now. if you see yourself wanting to add more and more power etc. I have broke or spent alot of money because I didn't ask or listen to people.. I bought into alot of hype of products because I saw the companies name in magazines alot etc. I'm not going to bash any products but what it left me with is tuners that were dirty hot tunes or a tuner that was always having issues. which i broke other hard parts. I got really high egt's but didn't know it due to my tuners pyro reading lower than what it really was doing.

I like mechanical gauges now, my current pieces I have had on the truck for atleast 6-7 years and no problems with them.

anything that will alter and tell the VP to do something faster or longer than the factory signal can and will eventually wear out. how long to wear out? who knows. I think that depends on the qaulity of rebuilt VP and good fuel flow to VP.

I currently have only put on 2 vp's on my truck and have 198k miles. I changed the first VP at about 98k only because I just bought the truck and wanted to put on a new one due to unknown history of truck. I have now 100k on my current VP that has always been tapped by my TST.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:46 AM

Thank you for the advice DIESELWRKS. I almost was compulsive and just bought the Edge Juice Attitide CS but decided to research more. I spoke on the phone with a representative from ThoroughbredDiesel.com and I asked him what his recommendation was for a programmer. He said most of the 24V he sees benefit the most from the Edge Comp. He recommended it over Edge Juice and the Banks Big Hoss. I've been considering the Banks product because they have a reputable name and it says pump wire does not need to be tapped. Is it better to find a programmer not requiring pump wire tapping?
Old 11-27-2014, 06:10 PM

IMO banks is alot of money because of the name banks. Nothing special about their products.

the TS MVP does not tap the pump.

http://www.tsperformance.com/mvp.html

most non tapped goodies will be 40hp to 100ish hp.

EDGE has a same like product. the Edge EZ.

at one time Quad had a product but they are out of buisness.

the power puck. have no info or want to ever use this.

and then you have the programmers that plug into the OBD port . like a smarty. which I'm partial to. has great throttle improvement and you have soft settings that wont break your tranny.

Good plan on just taking your time and doing some research. if you were close to me I would let you use my smarty, TST or MVP. Also dont settle for just one online store. as you know most shops only carry a certain brand or name of a product because they make the most kick back or that same company doesn't under cut prices compared to the Vendors that are selling their product. and then you have a few good companies and shops that sell only certain products because they believe in those products and have a great warranty and stand behind it. I will PM you some names of places I do buisness with, even if its just to call and pick their brains.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:33 AM

The build I'm trying to do would give a compromise between speed and towing. I currently have a single axle dump trailer that can be loaded to 8000lbs. Im looking into getting a 12k GWR dump trailer that I will continue to use for hauling work on the side. But then I also want to be able to go fast for fun and be able to run pretty quick (and with decent fuel economy) with 3 dirt bikes (relatively light) to the spots I ride all over SoCal.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:31 PM

UPDATE: So I found a Superchips Cortex (for Dodge and Chrysler products) on craigslist for $250. Before I purchased it I plugged it into my truck and found that it was "vin locked". The seller and I tried to find out how much it would be to unlock it, but couldn't find any definite price. One forum post said it would be $100 another said it is the same price as buying one new ($350+)! I decided to take a risk and offered him $40 to buy the "locked" programmer not knowing if I could get it unlocked for a reasonable price. We made the deal, and the next day I unlocked it through Superchips for $100! I then plugged it back into my truck and to my disappointment, it read that it only worked for 2003 and up! I called Superchips and they were very helpful. The guy made me a deal and said for $80 more I could send in the old Cortex and he would send me a brand new Flashpaq (he said they were phasing out of the cortex anyways). Anyways, I made the deal and I am very pleased with the new Flashpaq. Incredible power gains! I have only tried the Performance tune so far and it has almost been intimidating! So much fun though. Good amount of smoke until boost builds and then it thins out. I will be trying Mileage tune soon and also will be using the Tow tune.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a super chip then a Quadzilla small box then and finally have a Quadzilla Adrenaline w/a Quadzilla commander gauge set. I've been really happy w/this setup...plenty of power 0-10 adjust on the fly. I would agree, try to think ahead on what you want to use the truck for, read and read on here for what others have done and then decide. IMO, If you can find a Quadzilla great, but Edge Juice w/Attitude or Smarty are also good products.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this qazilla performance chip, n im very happy with this product.

I know that it is illegal in USofA but in europe we do enjoy it alot.

In Europe i can make some high performance BMW n MB cars look like an idiot as i use my diesel truck to performe some acceleration.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by hzemax
I have this qazilla performance chip, n im very happy with this product.

I know that it is illegal in USofA but in europe we do enjoy it alot.

In Europe i can make some high performance BMW n MB cars look like an idiot as i use my diesel truck to performe some acceleration.
Impressive! Dodge Ram Cummins trucks must be pretty rare in the EU??