4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Foreigner(me) buying a new Longhorn Mega from Texas dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Foreigner(me) buying a new Longhorn Mega from Texas dealer?

Hey guys.

I am planning to do a big 6 state 5000 mile road trip to USA next year and I was going to buy a Roadmaster Wagon but once again I lost it completly and decided to sell my 1st and 2nd gen Rams and buy a 2500 Laramie Longhorn Mega cab 4x4 with Cummins and 6 spd auto.

This is pretty much the ideal truck for me.

http://goo.gl/Ro3Rsh

I'd love to buy a new one. It would be my first new truck/or car ever.

But there are few things I'm worried about like 8% Texas sales tax and can I get dealer plates for my 3 week road trip. I read that I can get away without the 8% sales tax if I give them my home address in Finland, so It's out of state.

Also, I'm wondering how much can I get off from the price. I have seen them around 55k usd for sale but If I just offer them cash money of direct payment right at the scene from my Visa how much do you think I could get off from the price?

Is there anything else what I should know?

And regarding to the truck,buying the truck or the trip, you can allways give me tips.

I wouldn't want a moonroof or keyless go, because I like key ignition but every laramie longhorn offered by dealers allways have them. And does the moonroof sacrifice the headroom? I'm a 6'6 tall 340+ pound guy so I need room.

I also prefer 2014 model because the 5 link rear suspension. How hard is it to find a 2014 model brand new in next years late August/September.

I hope we can get some nice conversation going on.

Thanks.

-Erska
Old 11-23-2014, 07:02 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
You are correct with the sales tax. You can give them your out of state address and not have to pay it.

You will be issued a 30 day temp tag upon purchase.

And for the cash deal price, that will depend on the dealer. Some you can haggle better than others....

This is as far as my knowledge will take me this am. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You've got to do some calling around, find different dealers and see what they'll do. You've got to haggle them down and work them against each other.

Good luck with the new ride!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My nephew worked for Microsoft in Finland for 5 yrs. He's relocated back to Seattle,Wa. He enjoyed his stay there but doesn't miss the snow.
Best of luck with the new truck and enjoy your vacation.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Oh okay, so the temp tag is piece of cake then. How about the insurance or my Finnish driving license? I do have our motorcycle,passenger car and commercial truck license in here. At least Finland is part of the USA and 37 country ESTA travel card agreement so we are no in the same line than Afghanistan.

Any one have any knowledge for the headroom in the 4th gens with or without the moonroof?

Do you know by the way why only 2011-2012 trucks have the rear entertaiment system display?

Danderson. My friend who is living in Texas is Finnish born but has been working in Nokia Siemens(current Nokia Networks) Network in Dallas since 1999-2000. I'm going to his place at first and he is going to help me buying the truck... But I still want to hear what you have to say because there is allways something I should know !

Madhat, nice to see that you are still around here. Loved your acceleration video with the priceless laugh .
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
I am not sure about then license and insurance, that is probably a good question for the dealer. As far as the insurance, I would think that as long as you are able to get the truck put on your policy and a copy of it emailed or faxed to you so you would have proof of that insurance that you would be fine. I know that here in the states, if I was to purchase out of state that is what is needed with the insurance before I can drive off the lot with new vehicle.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about the other issues, but keep in mind the dealer will likely charge you a 3 - 5% surcharge for using a credit card. Might be better to arrange a bank transfer between your bank and a local Texas bank and pay in cold hard cash.

Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
6ft 6in!!! 340lbs from Finland!! You may need the moonroof so you can wear your Viking helmet in the truck... Just kidding
Did you sell your Blue 2nd Gen dually? I still have that truck in my screen saver slideshow.
You going through Colorado on your trip?