3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Buying a used Diablo Predator

Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a used Diablo Predator

Anybody here bought a used one!?! A friend of mine has one that he has taken off his truck, and I know I can get it for $225. Someone told me that they were married to the vehicle and couldn't be swapped, but I've also read that if you reset the original truck back to stock before you deinstall, it unmmarries the tuner and it can be put on another truck. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:34 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What you've stated is correct.

You'll want to try to install on your truck to ensure compatibility.

With dealer flashes being what they are, some are not backwards compatible and wont allow the program to load as a result.

The ECM program and that on the Diablo have to work together. If not, the ECM won't allow the download. The fix is to have the newest update on the Diablo and the truck.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:53 AM

So if the truck is not the same year as mine, it wont be compatible? The model number is u7130, which is for 2003-2005 trucks I believe.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:23 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ponypuller05
So if the truck is not the same year as mine, it wont be compatible? The model number is u7130, which is for 2003-2005 trucks I believe.
Not necessarily true. The product is compatible with the years you have listed.

What I was trying to explain has nothing to do with the year model of the truck but the generation of the factory flash on the ecm.

If the Diablo has an old tune, and you have a newer dealer flash, it may not work. You would have to get an updated tune from Diablo and load that.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:33 AM

The guy let me install the tuner before I bought it, and it worked perfectly. Really like the Diablo so far, nothing extravagant but makes the truck much smoother and more drivable.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Good Luck!

You'll enjoy it. Now be aware that on higher levels (and don't get the hot unlock) you can ruin an otherwise stock transmission. Just use it judiciously.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:19 AM

I don't plan on setting it past the middle setting. My self control isn't that strong lol. I have had an issue on the middle setting, it seems to sort of surge after I let off the throttle at highway speeds. Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran the stack for 5 yrs. The 100 hp was a great tune for DD and especially great for towing... with a better turbo.
The high hp tunes cause timing spike when letting off the fuel at times. Mark Chappell told me it had to do with Cummins programming. The extreme tune is just like the name implies! The ext stack is slightly tamer. Try them out but just be careful with your foot. Craig
Old 11-25-2014, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! Anybody done anything with the tune modifications?
Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 PM

I tried every stack tune on the DS site but I didn't know any of their tunes could be modded. Craig
Old 12-02-2014, 03:00 PM

I messed around with it yesterday, and I guess you can't mod them. What's the difference between the straight tuner and the stack? Take it easy on me, I'm pretty green in the tuner game lol
Old 12-02-2014, 03:23 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

The "stack" is another module to buy. In this case it is called the "puck" due to its relative shape of a hockey puck. The "puck" is plugged into your rail pressure sensor and has a 3 position switch to run it.

It is called a "stack" as it stacks another layer of program modification on top of your diablo.

The puck is not recommended here as it is a pressure device and therefore hard on your injectors and pressure relief valve and may cause premature wear and failure.

You really can't use more power than the predator provides you any way. Remember what I posted earlier.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:45 PM

Thanks! That's what I was thinkin it was, but wasn't sure. So far I've had mine on tow and performance, and everything just seems to flow a little smoother on tow. I'm not sure how much these tuners effect the transmission shift points, but it seems that mine shifts better and more consistently in the tow tune. Anybody have any knowledge to back that?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 PM

Mine is a stick so only I can change the shift points! I checked the DS rail pressure with my TST just before I stopped using the DS stack and max RP wasn't increased. It's modified but still the same ~23k. I'd say, at least try the 100 perf. It's supposed to be the limit for a stocker. Like I said... watch your foot it it feels too strong. There are stack tunes in the Pred and they can be run w/o having the puck. The stack tunes w/o the puck are a little milder than the regular tune. The 100 is an awesome towing tune. It's a healthy boost in power and does some tq mngt down low to save the drivetrain. The tow stack with the puck was even stronger than the 100 but the throttle was quicker and my mpg suffered cuz it was so much fun to abuse it. There is a downloadable perf stack tune but it's a total waste... it's actually less than the regular perf tune. I liked to run the ext stack tune cuz it was a little more driveable than the ext tune and then I switched on the puck for F's C's and ricers. You don't have any use for the puck on a stocker as long as you have the pred. Craig

Oh yeh, there's no such thing as hot unlock with the DS! The biggest reason I got rid of the DS stuff was the lack of power choices between 100/perf and 170/extreme. My truck could handle all the hottest tunes but driveability around town sucked and I was also tired of stopping to change tunes, downloading etc.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I would like a tuner that was quicker to switch tunes, but for what I gave for this one I cant exactly complain lol. The tow tune just seems stronger to me for some reason. It may just be my truck, not sure. It accelerates smoother, and idles MUCH better. With the 100 tune, my truck almost loped like a cammed up gasser. Idled at around 800 rpms.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a used Diablo Predator