Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best cordless drill

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:30 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Best cordless drill

I need to buy a new 1/2" cordless drill. I know that many of you here use these tools, so am looking for suggestions. Have looked at many reviews, specs etc and so many are very close, so it's hard to choose. Do need two batteries and fast charge time. Long battery life is good too.
Also, where is the best place to buy them?

Which drills (make and model) are to be avoided?
Old 11-05-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
I have had Dewalt, Hitachi, Craftsman, and Makita cordless drills. The best one was the Hitachi, but I couldn't get replacement batteries when they finally died. The one I have now is the Makita. Only had it a couple years and I already have 1 bad battery. At least they can be easily found at a reasonable price. The Dewalt and Craftsman drills served their purpose, but I wouldn't call them "professional quality".
Old 11-05-2014, 10:00 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Not sure, but think that most of the top brands now have replaceable batteries.
Am looking very hard at Makita and DeWalt, both 18 volt. Another drill that has come a long way is Rigid, so it is now on my short list.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Black & Decker 18 volt cordless. So far, it's been great. Batteries hold up well, and I can use them on my cordless weed wacker.

You'll need extra batteries and chargers (maybe even need to build a charging station) if you plan on extended use.

-Kris
Old 11-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
If you will be using it a lot, I would recomend the Milwaukee M18 hammer drill. It has more power to it than the 18 volt dewalt that I have.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I have had Ryobi and Craftsman, and we run Dewalt at work.

About a month ago, based upon using the cordless impact at the junkyard I frequent, I started my Milwaukee conversion.

Grab up a 1/2" Milwaukee M18 Fuel and you flat won't go back.
That thing lasts like the 35 gallon tank in our trucks, and it would probably whip over our engines if our starter went out....... I am never looking back.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:30 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer my tool to be Ridged!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Bosch, that is the only tools I run. I beat the crap out of them and they still perform.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:36 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cordless Drill

Stan,
This one runs forever before you need to recharge it
Attached Thumbnails Best cordless drill-cordless-drill.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only brand I have experience with is Makita because I'm still using the first one I bought. It's years old and came with a metal, not plastic, carrying case. I've been through a few batteries over the years and finally last year I had to have the trigger assembly replaced at a Makita Service Center in Houston, cost including shipping was less than $30.00.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Milwaukee M18 hammer drill along with several other of their matching tools and am very happy with them
Del
Old 11-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dewalt or Milwalk can't go wrong. The Craftsman is fine for home owner work but not much else
Old 11-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Stan,
I had one of those, it gave me carpel tunnel.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The Milwaukee "brushless" are probably your best bet, I have a Milwaukee hammer drill and an Impact gun, what I like about the Milwaukee brushless is they produce more power and give longer tool and battery life, the batteries have a charge indicator built in. As lithium batteries just quit working and don't slowly die you can check to see how much charge is left before starting out. Makita is my favorite drill when used as a screw gun it just feels the nicest when driving screws, the battery has no charge indicator. If you want a decent product at a reasonable price with lots of attachments available then Ryobi is the way to go, beats all the others for attachments and way cheaper, I probably use Ryobi more than all the others because of the attachments but not the drill, again no charge indicator. I have a built in air compressor in my shop and many air tools to boot but I next to never use any air tools any more just the cordless ones.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Stan,

Sean, thanks so much for your invaluable help! I tried one of those, but my tie keeps on getting caught in the gears. Do you know of any similar model that has a gear guard?

Thanks for all the other replies. All good answers, but as you can see, there are no definitive winners. I do like the idea of a battery charge indicator and are seriously considering that one.

I can buy most brands here, but they are cheaper across the border. Expect to be in the McAllen, Harlingen area the week of Nov 17, so will be buying something at that time. Still doing my research. Will be driving up with my truck and bringing back a load, including a riding lawn mower.

Quick Reply: Best cordless drill