General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What to do for an 03?

Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do for an 03?

Here's an open ended question. I have an 03, that hasn't had anything done to it but a hose, belt and water pump changed in 10 years. I keep thinking I'm going to get rid of it next year and then I end up keeping it. It's my daily driver, has 180k miles and we use it to tow a small trailer. It has a nice camper shell and aux fuel tank. I did recently put in a new lift pump/air seperator just because the original has lasted longer that it should have.

So, I have decided to keep it as long I can. With that in mind, where should I spend my limited budget? I don't need to go fast, just long..
Old 10-31-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Given the information provided, I recommend gauges as the number one item for longevity. If you still have the stock fuel filter canister installed then you should also be utilizing the Baldwin Pf7977 fuel filter in addition to any other fuel filtration you may have.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah I'd consider a 2 micron filter, pyrometer if you don't have one, and keep all the fluids changed on schedule and keep driving the truck.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do have an aftermarket filter/lift pump which is bypassing the original equipment. I think the filter is good. One issue I have been having lately is the fuel guage. It reads empty/full/ correct on any given day. I did drop the tank and pulled the sensor and cleaned it up but it didn't help much. I did just put new tires on it. Front springs are a bit weak, I've thought about trying to get it more level. Rest of the front end seems fine, no unusual tire wear or anything like that.

Search this Thread