4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Being out smarted by truck, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being out smarted by truck, need help

Humble request for trailer/truck brake problem assistance.

Tow rig is a 2014 3500 laramie limited;Trailer is a 2010 Open Range fifth wheel ,9500+ lbs.My trailer brakes seemed "weak" to me, using the manual slide control will not lock up wheels on loose gravel, gentle slow down from 10 mph on blacktop.

The smart a$$ truck will not supply voltage without being hooked up to the trailer..."No trailer Connected" message in the dash.
Checked the voltage where it comes into the trailer with the manual brake slider full on I get 6.5 volts? The dash brake indicator is set at 10 and shows 100 %
I have checked the magnets; 3.5 Ohms plus or minus 2 ohms. Ground side of brakes is very close to zero ohms, so no bad ground problems.

My questions are isn't 12.6 or such normal for brake operation, and if so, where the heck am I loosing 6 volts and how do I find and fix it?

Thanks to anyone who can assist or give direction, I'm stumped for now.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:21 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go into your settings the one that's locked when your moving. In there you will see a deal called trailer section or brake selection I cannot remeber. In there you will see all your brake types you are probably set on light electric, try using the heavy electrick setting.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:01 AM

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate your time and effort.

I'ts been set on heavy electric, nothing will change the piddly 6.5 volt output. I hate to let the dealer near it, but this seems to be a warranty item.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
There was some problems with the 2011's but you are the first with a newer 2013/14 truck with different brake controller, my son tows very heavy with his 2013 and reports that it's awesome compared to the 2011 he had prior. I agree 6.5 volts is not enough for max braking. It seems like you have covered all the bases but where did you go for a ground when checking the.. "voltage where it comes into the trailer" perhaps there is a bad ground at the ground wire of the trailer. Also for the trailer brakes to work 100% they have to be adjusted up now and then as they are not self adjusting. If you have other trailers you tow with this truck have a look inside at the pins, I loaned out my dump trailer and it came back with a burnt pin which I didn't notice right away, it then burnt the pin in my truck connector.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the help Busboy;

There's a junction box in the trailer hitch where the Truck pigtail meets the Trailer wiring, Emergency brake and a mass or ground wires from the the trailer. When I checked the brake connections I measured from a lug bolted to the frame holding a #8 bare.

The brakes have been adjusted so that they REALLY dragged hard and that make no difference, except to raise the temp's. on the drums; no better braking effect so I backed them back of to" hard to turn by hand
Old 10-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The ground you need to check is between the truck and the trailer also check the pins inside the truck connector for burnt/melted plastic around a pin. I would say that your brakes are still adjusted up too far they just need to rub very slightly. I adjust mine up fairly tight then back them off a little then final adjustment going up/increase until they just slightly rub.