4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

To buy or not to buy a 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I can sleep now, my Smarty is safe.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To buy or not to buy a 2014?

I have a 2007 2500 SLT Bighorn that has been deleted. Other than that and air bags the truck is stock. I am pushing or just over my payload with my fifth wheel hooked to this truck. With air bags it tows nice and has been a pretty good truck. It currently has 115k on the ticker and I believe I am starting to get a very small amount of steering noise. I have been contemplating upgrading to a 2014 Laramie 3500 CC SB.

There is a significant upcharge here so before I sign the dotted line my question is has anybody made the change? Any regrets?

Thanks
Jim
Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I have an 06 SLT 119,000, Everthing is stock but the Tranny and Flex plate. What have you been offered on a trade?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM

21 and change. The deal on the Laramie was pretty good but I'm not sure I want to deal with DEF and some of the other issues I have heard of like the dead pedal problem.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son traded his deleted 2011 manual for a new 2013 aisin and would go back in a second if not for the higher GVWR of the 2013. His exhaust has plugged again for the second time and has to be cleaned by the dealer $600 a pop. The traction control is also an issue.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So far I love the '14 I got at work. Only a couple months driving it now in weird conditions. On the AK N slope. 35mph max speed, no towing or hauling, no more than 5 mi between destinations.
Will be. Good test for the dpf in upcoming months.
Dead pedal is bs. Don't matter up here, but in real life I'd be ****** about the lack of throttle response.
Truck is solid and awesome other than that.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my experience, there is no way I'd go with a short bed if I was pulling a 5th wheel.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepman71
I have a 2007 2500 SLT Bighorn that has been deleted. Other than that and air bags the truck is stock. I am pushing or just over my payload with my fifth wheel hooked to this truck. With air bags it tows nice and has been a pretty good truck. It currently has 115k on the ticker and I believe I am starting to get a very small amount of steering noise. I have been contemplating upgrading to a 2014 Laramie 3500 CC SB.

There is a significant upcharge here so before I sign the dotted line my question is has anybody made the change? Any regrets?
Your truck is only seven years old. I'd think that if you were happy with it, just put the money into fixing the steering and avoid getting back into debt, paying more property taxes, and higher insurance.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 AM

I can see the benefit of a long box for fifth wheel. I won't park my truck outside and a long box will fit in my garage if I dent the wall about a 1/2", I think I will stick with the short box.

31K and my truck for the 2014 is some pretty heavy play money. My truck still looks good, makes sense to keep it. Maybe the throttle issue will be resolved in the next couple of years.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeepman71
I can see the benefit of a long box for fifth wheel. I won't park my truck outside and a long box will fit in my garage if I dent the wall about a 1/2", I think I will stick with the short box.

31K and my truck for the 2014 is some pretty heavy play money. My truck still looks good, makes sense to keep it. Maybe the throttle issue will be resolved in the next couple of years.

Thanks for the replys.
Have you pulled a fifth wheel with a shortbed? The front of the camper and the cab try to occupy the same space when cornering. This pretty much necessitates the need for a sliding hitch. Messing with that everytime you need to make a sharp corner gets old quick.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:42 PM

I have pulled two different fifth wheels a little over 20k miles with this truck. I had a slider for the first probably 7k miles and used it twice. There is no doubt that I could have a problem if I am careless but that could happen with a long bed. I have several friends that pull fifth wheels with short boxes and no slider. I guess at looking at previous posts I have not noted that this truck is a short box.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
There are a lot of new 5vers on the market now with cutaway corners on the front cap that allow towing with a short box and no slider hitch. My 2011 short box tows my 2012 36ft with no slider just the B&W companion and it will turn 88 deg, before it gets to that point the trailer tires are being ripped from the rims and the axles are wound up so bad you would think they would break. I thought I was close once and got out to check, there was about a foot to go. With the right trailer no slider in a short box is a non issue. http://www.primetimerv.com/images/fe...ningRadius.jpg
Old 10-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I recently moved from a third gen (had one since 03/04) to a 4th and looking back I don't know what took me so long.
I will say my 06 Mega only left because of some rust issues I was fighting and after many hours and dollars I realized the PA winters had won the war and I was fighting a losing battle.
So the 06 is gone, and in all honesty the 4th gen beats it in every way. It's the first truck I've owned that I can honestly say stock is plenty good enough. Some will complain about mileage but mine has been right on par with my 06 Mega 48re with 4.10s. Now having said that the 12 kicks the pants off my 06 on the highway, but unfortunately I don't see many highway miles. It's a tough spot to be in, more so if your truck has no real issues and does what you need it to. Again my hand was forced to a 4th gen because I am not paying a fortune for a used 3rd when I can get a much newer truck. But now that it's done I couldn't be happier with my truck. Well I could be unrealistic and want 25 mpg but that's not going to happen.
I would see if you really need a new one then get an extended test drive, also you may want to drive a new used. I was going to get brand new but I personally didn't like the way the 13/14's drove, they were slow to react and had an odd non reponsive feel to them. Having said that I think the SCR/DEF system is much better than what we have on the prior 6.7's and can lead to much better economy. I hate the 3.41 rear end, no ifs and or buts. The new frame is simply huge, no comparison. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will stick with this one. I just done the emmisions a few weeks ago, don't have to do that for another two years. The truck is much more responsive than the 14 I drove. License is cheap ( in comparison), maintenance is cheap, it pulls hard and runs great. I think I will keep an eye out for end of year deals and maybe see what the future brings for new trucks. It is pretty amazing what equipment is offered on trucks now.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Banned

Awe, I wanted a ride in the new truck
Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by MrsDolber
Awe, I wanted a ride in the new truck
You work for Chrysler...seems like you should have no problem getting a ride in a new truck

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy a 2014?