2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

ABS, P and Low Brake fluid Light

Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS, P and Low Brake fluid Light

The following lights showed up at the same time yesterday

The Low ABS, Parking Brake and circle w/exclamation point. Anyone have a clue what this means. The truck seems to drive fine.:

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel 4WD Automatic
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This probably just wishful thinking but I got the same symptoms when my parking brake was down 2 clicks. I had put it down 2 clicks so my daytime running lights weren't on one morning when it was really cold and I wanted all available amps/volts going to the grid heaters instead of the headlights. When the truck started, I forgot what I had done and then nearly had a stroke a few miles down the road when I saw the warning lights on. Then I noticed my DRL were also not on. Stroke over, returned parking brake to proper position and lights went away.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
This probably just wishful thinking but I got the same symptoms when my parking brake was down 2 clicks. I had put it down 2 clicks so my daytime running lights weren't on one morning when it was really cold and I wanted all available amps/volts going to the grid heaters instead of the headlights. When the truck started, I forgot what I had done and then nearly had a stroke a few miles down the road when I saw the warning lights on. Then I noticed my DRL were also not on. Stroke over, returned parking brake to proper position and lights went away.
Sean,

I checked the parking brake. It was all the way released. I applied it all the down and released it again, just to see if the switch was not sticking. Still have the three indcator lights on all the time. Thanks for the suggestion though. you never know until you try.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ironduke10
Sean,

I checked the parking brake. It was all the way released. I applied it all the down and released it again, just to see if the switch was not sticking. Still have the three indcator lights on all the time. Thanks for the suggestion though. you never know until you try.
Could it be the ABS Speed Sensor?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Did you check your brake fluid levels in the MC?

I have had the rear line rot away twice and never really feel any braking difference in normal driving...... The fronts do about 70 percent of the work.

Check your fluid levels.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM
APD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The following lights showed up at the same time yesterday

The Low ABS, Parking Brake and circle w/exclamation point. Anyone have a clue what this means. The truck seems to drive fine.:

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel 4WD Automatic
Check fluid level and look for a wet spot on the frame rail beside the fuel tank. there is a brake line on the frame that rusts. I just did mine a few weeks ago.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM

Mc is topped off.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Ok, we can rule out a rusted line for now.

Next, since yours is a 96, you need to check out the vacuum sensor on the drivers side wheelwell. I can't remember exactly which all lights it brought on, but it was more than the brake light I believe when it went bad.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Replaced speed sensor on rear differential. ABS, Parking Brake and low brake fluid lights are still on.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:50 AM

I will next check the vacuum sensor on the drivers side wheelwell. Not sure what I'm checking for with this.

Also if no luck there, I will try and check on the front brake sensors for any dirt bulid up and any other visible issues.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:57 PM

I will next check the vacuum sensor on the drivers side wheelwell. Not sure what I'm checking for with this.

Also if no luck there, I will try and check on the front brake sensors for any dirt bulid up and any other visible issues.

Realized the truck does not have any ABS Brakes installed.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Realized the truck does not have any ABS Brakes installed.
Were they bypassed? All had at least 2Whl ABS, 4Whl was optional.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Just disconnect and jumper it to see if it takes care of the lights.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Were they bypassed? All had at least 2Whl ABS, 4Whl was optional.
I see no indication of ABS being installed. Not sure why the lights came on yet. Maybe they had been jumpered before I bought it. Weird.

The spot for the relays under the hood are empty.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Look at the sticker under your hood if it still has it, it should tell you if it was the standard 2WABS system, if so, I don't believe they utilized that relay, I will have to look at mine to be sure. 2WABS systems only kept the rears from skidding, the only real indication is the small control valve bolted to where the proportioning valve is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS, P and Low Brake fluid Light