2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Drivers Side Power Window Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Drivers Side Power Window Stopped Working

Hello, my driver side power window stopped working on my 96 Dodge Ram 3500. It's done this for awhile now. Before you could hit the switches and it would start working. So I changed the drivers side master switch and it worked good for a few days then I started having to hit it to make it work. I changed the switch again and same thing. Now it won't work at all. The switch for passenger side window and door lock on driver side work perfect, just the one for the driver side doesn't work at all now.
-So is it my switch, window motor, or something else?
-Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the more seasoned veterans will chime in I am sure but if you fried a switch that quickly I would suspect that you are lacking volts and pulling too many amps through it. That would suggest you either have something putting more load on the window motor than it was designed for or you have a wire that is breaking down and is down to a few threads or you have a bad ground for the window motor. When it does work, does the driver side window move as quickly and as well as the passenger side?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
One of the more seasoned veterans will chime in I am sure but if you fried a switch that quickly I would suspect that you are lacking volts and pulling too many amps through it. That would suggest you either have something putting more load on the window motor than it was designed for or you have a wire that is breaking down and is down to a few threads or you have a bad ground for the window motor. When it does work, does the driver side window move as quickly and as well as the passenger side?
When it does work it goes up and down quickly and as well as the passenger side. But now it won't do anything even if I hit the switches. I also don't think the switches are bad or burnt up due to the passenger side works on driver switch.
-So I was wondering if it could be a wire or the window motor?
Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Hello,
I'm assuming it's my window motor because if I turn the switch on and hold down the window switch and slam the door the window will start to work and roll up and down.
*I was just wondering if I'm assuming correctly?
Thanks
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Pull the door panel and inspect it with a multi meter....
Old 08-21-2014, 01:39 AM

Question

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Pull the door panel and inspect it with a multi meter....
Sorry I'm not good with electrical stuff. What do I need to check with the multi meter? To see if motor is getting correct amount of power? And what else should I be looking for or at?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 AM

A meter will tell you if you have good power to the switch and then down to the motor. 90% of the time it is connection problems. Mine had a pinched wire at the door hinge grounding out power. A good eyeball check and a meter will find most problems. The power for passenger side comes from drivers side. Wires are in parallel. Sounds like the circuit going down to the motor or you would have problems with both sides.