12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

I know I should know but help anyway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I should know but help anyway

So I've read countless times how people have starting issues with their truck. When I say starting I mean electric wise. My starter just clicks and if you keep rocking the switch it finally turns over. Once running no problems. Well I bought a new battery because my driver side was corroded and I cleaned terminals on both batteries. Same problem and even worse. The starter hung up and kept turning after crank and continued to turn even with ignition off. I've read over and over about cleaning grounds and skimmed over a few threads about starter connectors in the past but never thought it would happen to me! Anyone who's been through this let me know the drill. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Time to change the contacts in your solenoid. Parts are pretty common, and not pricey. Search on this site for "Starter Contacts".

Hardest part of the job is pulling the starter.

Bet this fixes it.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by sherod
Time to change the contacts in your solenoid. Parts are pretty common, and not pricey. Search on this site for "Starter Contacts".

Hardest part of the job is pulling the starter.

Bet this fixes it.
I have seen them offered by a company promoted on this site. I bought some injector seals from them. They offer fuel shut off boots and solenoids and gold contacts for starters. Larry B's I think. Only issue is it's my daily driver. Can I get them at nappys or other counter sales?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM

Get Larry B's contacts and install. Should fix it. They are not gold plated, they are larger copper. OEM are too small and burn. Good idea to get the isolation diode also. Not expensive, easy install, will keep the start solenoid from burning up if the starter contacts weld up putting high amps into solenoid. By the way, replace BOTH batteries at the same time. If you have a weak one it will draw down the new one.