Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

****BREAKROOM - 7/27 to 8/3****

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
****BREAKROOM - 7/27 to 8/3****

Up an' at 'em people, the day's a wastin'!

All I could find to put out for breakfast was stale chips. I mixed sugar and water to form a paste and left it beside the chips. Dip the chips in it and pretend they're pastry.

Coffee's on too.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:58 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey, I used the pastry dip on Lary's Leggs while he was sleeping over by the pool table.
The added hot sauce should make for a spectacular shrewdance.

Hanyday fokes.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Morning folks!

Woke up in the chair by the pool with ants all over my leggs

No clue how or why they were there but the sheen on my LEGGS is fabulous...a little HOT but fabulous

Yall be safe and remember to tell your loved ones you care
Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Morning All! Finally got some rain last night. It Also brought lots if intense lightning and wind. Had some hail in the mix for good measure. No major stuff damaged I can find, but still looking. Think it will be ok. Do hear lots of saws down the road, maybe go see if I can lend a hand.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:17 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning to all and sundry. What a fantastic morning down here. The sun is shining, the air is fresh and I woke up on the right side of the grass. What else do I need? Ah, a coffee. Got one, so life is complete. Now sitting down and taking a look at what you bunch of misfits have been up to. At first glance I read about the "stuff" that the janitor laid out for our consumption. Eat it and you will end up with consumption! Then I read about Leggs. Yup, this week is starting off nice and (in)sane. Sounds about right for this group.

The last few weeks have been exceedingly busy. Finished up about 98% of all the outside mods to my house and parking area. Now have a wierd electrical problem that I traced to an underground wire - buried under some of the newly laid interlocking brick. Halfway thru all the house work, the gas water heater decided to spring a leak. No problem I thought, easy to remove and install a new one. Yeah right! It took me a whole day. It is a 200 liter tank (about 52 gallons for you types that are still using an obsolete measuring system). As with all Mexican gas heaters, it is located in an external 'room', sized for the heater, but attached to the house. Mine is off the main bedroom on the second floor. The builder/architect messed up when they built the enclosure. When I tried to remove the old tank, I discovered that the tank was about 3" wider than the door opening. It is obvious that they installed the heater and then the steel door frame that is now embedded in the bricks and cement. Got out my big hammer and transformed the tank shape from round to elliptical. Not an easy job in that confined space. Bought a new heater that would easily fit thru the existing opening. It has a much smaller capacity than the old one, but is more than adequate for our needs. Of course, this meant a lot of plumbing changes too.

A few days ago the new O'Reilly steering box I installed in my truck sprang a major oil leak. Sent an email to the corporate office and asked what they suggested to do. The idiot at that end told me to mail the leaky box to them and they would check it and mail me another one. Hmmm, let's see. That would probably take about 2 months, plus customs fees etc. Now trying to find a plan B.

Leaving in 2 weeks to take a quick visit to the Toronto area to visit my sons and also a drive down to Ithica to visit my stepson and his wife who are attending the university there.

Off to do more "stuff". Busy, busy. Who said that the retired life is one of lazing around? Hardly have time to read a book or check on the mishappenings here.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Stan, you're the kind of guy who does things in a proper fashion. don't bother with O'Reilly boxes. go straight to Harvey at redhead steering gear, and get the best. I did this with the 05 after 5 (yes 5) Napa boxes in less than 6 months. the redhead box has been on there for about 5 years with no issues. if you turn the sector shaft by hand on the redhead box, vs other aftermarket ones, you can feel the difference right away.

other than that, another high overcast day in the north, with foolish temps, wind that never stops, etc.

the little ........ that stabbed Tanner, turned himself in the other day in Victoria bc. get this, he showed up at a police station... with a lawyer. think he's maybe played this game before. on the brighter side, online fundraising effort raised almost 100k for the family at last count.

have a good day
Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Got out my big hammer
Stress relief at its finest.

Originally Posted by pind

the little ........ that stabbed Tanner, turned himself in the other day in Victoria bc. get this, he showed up at a police station... with a lawyer. think he's maybe played this game before. on the brighter side, online fundraising effort raised almost 100k for the family at last count.
You need to barrow Stan's hammer.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Pind, thanks for the info. My problem is the shipping, always the shipping. This is probably the biggest downside to living where I am. I did consider the Redhead gear, but for this last trip did not have time to get it shipped to where I was heading in the states. On checking for a quick fix I also briefly thought about the new and upgraded, excessively expensive Dodge steering box, but baulked at the price. The easiest for me was O'Reilly's. Wanted the Borgeson, but they could not supply one, so had to take what they had.

My choices now appear to be to go to the local Autozone and get their rebuilt for about US$166 and a 90 day warranty. Or forget about the O'Reilly warranty and lift the top of their steering box (need to remove it from the truck for that) about 1/8", clean it well and force in some JBWeld and make a secondary seal. My guess is the large (about 3") O-ring got cut when it was assembled. Would not dare take it apart enough to change the O-ring. The local Dodge dealer wants $1,042 for the upgraded box and 3 weeks delivery. No warranty if I install it myself. Some choice!

The oil is coming out from between the Pitman shaft cover and the housing. Have checked on the OE steering box that I still have and the Pitman shaft appears to come out with the shaft cover, so do not want to disturb anything more than necessary. My thinking is that if I carefully pry the cover up by about 1/8", clean out all the oil on the faying surfaces with brake cleaner and rub in JBWeld Quick using a hacksaw blade with the teeth removed, that this may provide a suitable secondary oil seal against the high pressure oil. There is no gasket here, just metal to metal. Will reinstall the 4 bolts with Loctite. What do you gearheads think about this idea?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Went and checked on the neighbors, had 2 flagpoles snapped, couple trees over, no real problems.

Good day to sit and relax, maybe feed my face...(Like I need it)

Be safe, hunker down if you need to, and have a Great Week!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Stan as a emergency just get you home fix it might work but for traveling to the states and back it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM

I am home, so have access to most of the tools that I will need. It is not practical for me to take another trip to the states just to return a steering box. In any case, need to take the defective box off first and in the states would have to pay someone big bucks to do that.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I finally got my truck running again, been fixing rusty fenders and one door.
The door also needed the frame inside the door for the window to slide in fixed.
It has been broken for about 2 1/2 years...since that winterday in a bad snowstorm where I was backing up and both mirrors were covered in snow.
So I pushed that button to roll down, and went bzz for a second, then silence, then bzzzzzz, and I knew right away what happened, that window got stuck, and the thing that was suppose to hold it just left it hanging.
So as fast as I could, I flipped the button the other way and BANG, the window fell down, inside the door.
With the help from a buddy we got the window back up in the right position, and then I pulled the fuse out, and that's how it's been for about 2 1/2 years.
I knew what the problem was, because we found one of them thingys that's suppose to guide the window on the way down laying in the bottom of the door, rusted over.
But now I made a new one, and it works .
Looking forward to taking it for a spin tomorrow, with the windows down, or up, or half up or just a little down, you get the point.

Slev
Old 07-27-2014, 05:36 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Howdy Scot, sherod, cougar and all others big or small,

Hey, there ain't no girls in this place. The glare from Lary's legs must have scared em off.

Originally Posted by slevhansen
So I finally got my truck running again, been fixing rusty fenders and one door.
Rust? Its not like Denmark is close to salt water or anything.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
What do you gearheads think about this idea?
Too bad its a major leak. That is a dilemma because as you and pind mentioned, the redhead would be the way to go.
Than you gotta wonder how much would towing be if your repair didn't work halfway to the border.

Originally Posted by Scotty
Yesterday I leaned into the back door of the truck only to collide the top of my head with the top door sill. I have a goose egg over 4" long, 2" thick at the peak and 2" wide. It's just now starting to hurt. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I hope you referred to page 23 of my manual for the proper dance for that.

Taking a load of wood to the beach for a fire and good quality hot dogs and sausage.
Perfect night for it.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
hello bark. and all the others who make this sausage fest the place to be for people in the know.

got the semi free craftsman series 2 gold running today. I'm into it for a set of blades, an oil change, and it does need one new back tire. now that I've established its working again, I'll spring for the new tire.

still haven't gotten around to firing up the gummed up Honda quad. been too busy with other things. however, it's time is coming. so is Christmas...

little rain, little sun, little don't try to predict the weather. thought of doing a rain dance, or a sun dance, but thought the good old ( ! ) ( / ) ( \ ) ( ! ), moon dance would work just as well. now that's old school.

have fun like you'll never get caught folks
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 AM

Well hello again all. Been away for some time. back into a cummins or two. feels pretty good I have to admit. Recently found out the DTR finally went to a tapatalk as well. definately be on more with that while I'm away at work.

Quick Reply: ****BREAKROOM - 7/27 to 8/3****