3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2011 Possible Exhaust Leak ????Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Possible Exhaust Leak ????Help

So here I am again with maybe a stupid question. When my truck is in regen and I stop at a light or at my house I keep getting a distinct exhaust/diesel fuel smell in the cab but only during regen. I started poking around under the truck looking at things being OCD according to my wife. In doing that I came across something kind of weird to me so I took pictures. Based on the pictures do you think this clamp is holding tight or leaking. I hate to take it into the dealer if I dont have to. How tight should this clamp be is there a torque value? Help if I take it in my wife will make me eat a big bowl of I told you so soup...she wanted a ford!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:18 PM

I cant get the pictures to show,If someone knows how to fix it i would appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Old 01-18-2011, 02:20 PM

Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 PM

Looks good to me. Usually with exhaust leaks there will be black soot around the leak. I've read on here that there is a distinctive smell when the truck go into regen mode. I haven't put enough miles on my '11 to know for sure though.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jchavez
So here I am again with maybe a stupid question. When my truck is in regen and I stop at a light or at my house I keep getting a distinct exhaust/diesel fuel smell in the cab but only during regen. I started poking around under the truck looking at things being OCD according to my wife. In doing that I came across something kind of weird to me so I took pictures. Based on the pictures do you think this clamp is holding tight or leaking. I hate to take it into the dealer if I dont have to. How tight should this clamp be is there a torque value? Help if I take it in my wife will make me eat a big bowl of I told you so soup...she wanted a ford!
i think the first thing to do is take it to the dealer.......it's got to be a warranty issue
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM

I don't think you have a leak, but yes if the conditions are right you'll smell a strong diesel exhaust odor in the cab while in a regen.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Tell your wife she can get the ford when she pays for it.

If it was leaking enough to see it you would hear it while running.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 AM

the clamp looks good. if it were lose you would hear and see it vibrating like a SOB. you should not smell fuel in the cabin though, i would probably stop by the dealer. One quick question, are you sitting with your windows open or in your garage with the a/c suckin air from outside?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by sgt snake
the clamp looks good. if it were lose you would hear and see it vibrating like a SOB. you should not smell fuel in the cabin though, i would probably stop by the dealer. One quick question, are you sitting with your windows open or in your garage with the a/c suckin air from outside?
No, but sure sounded like it after reading my first post. When i stop the truck I let it run for about 10/15 seconds before turning it off. The windows are closed though. The garage door is open though. The weird thing is I smell it more when slowing to down at stop at lights or stopsigns.I have only smelled it once in the garage. Which is funny, you would think it would collect in the gargage and smell everytime. The wind must play into it somehow.And the smell is only during regen.

I called the dealer and set an appointment for next friday. They told me the same thing, that during regen you can smell it. He said that I needed to really work the truck and that stuff like this(funny smells from being new) will seat itself and go away.He said these new ones need to not be babied(NOT IN MY NATURE, I baby my truck) I have to say I somewhat agree, maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Before the dealer flaming starts I have had the same dealer and service manager since 05 with my last truck. The guy is a really good friend of mine. Actually said I could take it in right away if I wanted. Im just trying to not nit pick the truck. Trying to just enjoy and drive it.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than fluid levels and tire pressures I ignored the smells and minor noises for the first 1k miles. All is fine now at 5200 miles (1st oil change notice just showed up this morning). I have a hard time working the truck hard immediately, but after the first 1000 miles I hooked up an 8000 lb trailer for a couple hundred miles of good hills!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Exhaust Smell in cab

I am experiencing the exact same problems with exhaust in the cab as I come to a stop. Have had it to the dealer about 6 times. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?