Site News News and updates about the site.

The End of an Era but the Beginning of a New Age

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The End of an Era but the Beginning of a New Age

As you all know Jack and I have over the last 10 years, invested a lot time, love and money into to DTR but we know we have carried it just about as far as we possibly can on our own. Jack and I hold great pride in the fact that we remained one of the longest lasting private forums built from the ground up with the kind of American Pride we feel built this great country and we know you folks feel the same way about your input here as well…but now it is time for someone else to take the lead and push it forward with renewed energy and endless resources. We have been very fortunate to find a perfect match for DTR, and we would like to introduce them to you today.

The name of the new owners of DTR is Internet Brands, a company that also owns over 100 other forums, all using the same software that we do. This should be a win-win situation for everyone concerned as they will be able to tweak the software to do all the cool things that we were not able to accomplish due to my technical and Jacks time limitations as a full time job as a State trooper. The number of hours spent here in a labor of love for the two of us is staggering and naturally takes its toll after a time.

In talks with them Internet Brands has assured me they wish to keep the same flavor here that made DTR a success, which means they have a vested interest in making sure things remain in tip top shape. Their focus is on maintaining everything that you are all used to here on DTR, and potentially adding some great new features as well. They also bought the site to make money, but Internet Brands chose DTR because of the community that’s here, changing it wouldn’t make any business sense.

Jack and I were in negotiations with them for several weeks before we made the decision that we found what we think is the perfect fit for DTR. Much of our success is due to having a great member base here, where knowledge far out weighs childish banter and helping each other is truly the goal everyone strides for.

Jack and I wish to thank each of you for helping us reach this point, we couldn’t have done it with out your the greatest bunch of diesel heads to ever grace a forum BAR NONE!

I have agreed to stay on as a Lead Moderator to help out during the transition period which from all indications to this point has shown will be absolutely painless. We are dealing with professionals and that has given Jack and I more reason to be proud of our decision. We are also maintaining the Online Store here as well so we will still be around doing the things we love which is interacting with the members and you our Friends.

On mine and Jacks behalf we say Thank You and we look forward to the years to come enjoying this sport with you at future gatherings.

Respectfully Your Friends,
Jack & Lary
Old 05-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is to another great 10 years!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you post questions at on here
Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rachelquinland
Where do you post questions at on here
Pick a forum and post your question. It's all about which question you want to ask. If it's a tech question about your truck, click on one of the forums and ask. If you want to ask it here we can direct you to the right forum or move it ourselves with a place you can click to see the answers.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Jack & Lary, Thank you for a great site
Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 PM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by Grey Wolf
No Jack & Lary, Thank you for a great site
You're very welcome. You won't see a lot of changes in the beginning and the site will basically remain the same but this deal really gives us the ability to do things technically that I never had time to do. I brought it as far as I could. Now there are more resources then we've ever had to make this thing go even further. You'll see mobile applications, site improvements etc. I think it's a good deal all around and we didn't sell out like the other guys. We did this because we knew we had reached our limit on where we could take this thing.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned

Get ready for annoying pop ups and ad bombardments. This company will want a return on its investment. Hard to blame you guys though, I'm sure the money would have been hard to turn down. Guess we will keep our fingers crossed that the big business guys won't totally ruin the forum.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 PM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by robtackett
Get ready for annoying pop ups and ad bombardments. This company will want a return on its investment. Hard to blame you guys though, I'm sure the money would have been hard to turn down. Guess we will keep our fingers crossed that the big business guys won't totally ruin the forum.
Of course they want a return on investment but we were in extensive talks with them about how we wanted to keep this site as clean as possible. Give it a chance and you'll see what I mean. They will be good for the site, not a detriment.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks Jack and Lary, as you can see I have been here from almost the start.

I do have a slight idea of how much time and effort goes into something like this from my previous passions and ventures. You will enjoy the well deserved break and probably fill the time with something else as I did.

Old 05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Thank you and congratulations on building by far the best diesel site on the web!!

Thanks to DTR, I have learned a wealth of information and meet some great people alone the way. I look forward to another 10 years!!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You won't see ads like you do on Cummins Forum, we did not sell to the people that own that forum because of that. Internet brands will increase ad revenue, but in a much classier way than putting an ad after every post you make
Old 05-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get ready for annoying pop ups and ad bombardments. This company will want a return on its investment. Guess we will keep our fingers crossed that the big business guys won't totally ruin the forum.
I would respectfully ask that everybody reserve judgment regarding the negative aspects of what could or might happen. As one of the most pessimistic members of DTR, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when I started speaking with one of the new Internet Brands representatives. As it is not my place to say any more regarding future plans, (mainly because I don't know a whole lot more!), I WILL say it was refreshing to know that the core values of IB and DTR are pretty much along the same lines, and in fact were one of the things that attracted the two parties in the first place.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running a website can be a huge drain on the personal side of life .... I'm one of the few that have done it, too. I also know its not about the financial gain. Not having the "me" or "family" time can be the biggest drain undertaking something this big, and you guys have done a phenominal job here. Kudos to you both!

I know they also recently bought Diesel Bombers, so they know they've tapped into a market with people that will help them get a return on their investment.

And the best part was their willingness to listen to you guys and keep the site what it is.

-Kris
Old 05-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
First off I think a huge THANK YOU to Jack and to Lary is first and foremost. This site is the best, hands down, that any devotee to #2 can find.

I am looking forward to what IB and Company have in store, and give a hearty welcome to them into our family! Im like Scott, lets see how things work out before stones are cast, one might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Jack and Lary, Thanks for all you had done to make this site the great site. It is the best of the best. I have learned so much about CTD and Dodge here. Had fun and friendship here.

Quick Reply: The End of an Era but the Beginning of a New Age