Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

do you run ATF

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you run ATF

Everybody says dont run atf because it does not burn. I would like to know who has run it at around 50% diesel 50% atf , and had a problem or not. I know a guy who run it at this mix and he has not had a problem for 25,000 miles with no problem. thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I say it's a bad idea. It's made with friction modifiers to mnake transmision parts grip each other. Not good for IP, Injectors, etc. Top that off with simply being colored red, red in the fuel tank on the road can be an expensive ticket, fine, and possibly lawyers fees. Plus, at $3 a quart, that's $12 a gallon. Why would you think you'd be saving anything by running atf?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM

He runs used atf that he filters, and gets free, he is a ford diesel mach. that drives a dodge. I just wanted to know if anybody that runs it has had a problem.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He says he runs a 50/50 blend of ATF/Diesel?! I have never heard of such a thing. What year truck does he have? I wouldn't do that with my 2001.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I think you would be just as safe running sand blasting media at the same 50% solution.....
Old 03-03-2008, 12:39 PM

2001 2-wheel 6-speed he said that atf is "just real good injector cleaner". He got the truck with 35,000miles and now has 60,000 in about a year and a half.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:43 PM

That is why i wan to know "who" does it and what problem ,if any, have they had. Eveybody says its bad but who has done it and what are the results.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
They used to mix a little ATF in YEARS ago and run it but that was long before they changed the composition of the product. Anyone that has a clue what the stuff is made of now, would never run it in a modern diesel engine.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Just lately, I say an over the road trucker pouring ATF in his tank on his semi at a truck stop. To me if makes perfect logic, ATF was not meant to be burned. If you want to burn some thing else, filter your used motor oil and use that. I don't think he will have the longevity we do by burning #2.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we have used atf for 40 years to fix stickey goveners and other problems in injection pumps, we used it when they went to low sulfer diesel, and it saved our pumps all other contractors lost pumps , we have 138 diesels and did not lose one pump. we used it to free stickey injectors in the hpcr and with him filtering the oil before adding it to the tank he is not going to have a problem cummins would approve use of up to 10% oil or atf in there pre hpcr truck engines and the engines we ran it in ran over 1,000,000 miles before overhall and did not look any different than the other also for what it's worth a quort of dello is 60% base stock with 40% additive package and a wear ring test with motor oil added to diesel was not any where as good as atf
Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 PM

Why thin it

I have run 80% ATF/20% #2clear diesel. The reaon for thinning is that 100% ATF gelled up on me. I had no problems other then the gelling with ATF. I pay .36 per gallon for used ATF so it is actually cost effective. The only reason I quit using it in my truck is it is more cost effective for me to use the ATF in my generator. I run WVO in the truck and only burn 2 or 3 gallons of diesel a day.
Ken Gardner
Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 AM

I too have a friend who is a Ford tech who told me the same thing. That there are many guys he knows running used ATF that they get from the dealer for free to run on their trucks, including some Cummins. He said he would do it it it were him. I'm skeptical, and like most things, you get answers from both sides of the fence.

I have a 96 12 valve with the supposed bullet proof pump, but i'm not yet convinced. Although with the high cost of fuel and my 100 mile commute a day, it's becomeing real interesting.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will always be nay sayers on ANY subject. When I first got into trucking some 20 years ago, I owned several trucks with Big Cam 4 Cummins engines. It was very common practice to pour in some ATF to clean the injectors. With that said, the ATF of old is definetly a different formula than todays. I don't know if you can still get the lower quality fluid, as that would be best to run. Anyone who says that ATF won't mix and burn needs to do one simple thing. Pour some ATF on a fire and see just how hot it gets. It will raise the cetane level, and create more heat in the combustion chamber, creating more power. It really does not take a brain surgeon to figure that part out. I have run various mixes with WMO,atf, and 2 stroke mixed in my fuel. News Flash, It all burns and does not seem to cause any problems for the engines, either in my Dodge or 06 VW TDI. I am about to go pour 10 gallons of WMO in my truck now. My filter is a t shirt that I had ready to throw away.
It seems that most people who BASH this idea have never tried it and are unwilling to listen to people who have used it successfully, so why bother trying to sell them on the idea? It just leaves more for the rest of us.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 AM

ATF and PS fluid ?

Interesting subject. I was going to ask what you used to filter the ATF. Maybe several coffee filters? Cotton T-shirts work, I guess. I don't know if I could pour the used atf fluid in my tank, Even if I filtered it. Something down inside my gut would be say I don't know about this. Don't do it. Sort of why I can only buy a Colt .45 not a taurus. It maybe OK, but don't feel right.

I could find myself using new ATF easier, but it is expensive, and as pointed out above, 'red'. ATF is a type of hydraulic oil, lots of additives for cleaning, suspension, friction modifiers, stuff to make it flow at low temps and protect at high temp. ATF+4 was described as synthetic over on the oil message board. I would have never thought of running it to increase lubricity and clean the injectors.

I have some Honda Power steering fluid. never opened. Its a hydraulic oil type. Maybe it would be good too? It would clean off my shelf for more Valvoline

I am impressed how you all try these things. That ATF maybe better than Marvel mystery oil in the gas tank in my Sportster and Cub Cadet ?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Who cares if it's read or not, some of yall put MMO in your tanks and that is red. I use WMO up to 6-7 gallons, but I'm bout to up it to 10 gallons to help outset costs. I think I can deal with getting dipped and getting some mail saying everything checked out ok.

Quick Reply: do you run ATF