24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cracked Cummins

Old 10-06-2002, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Cummins

Has anyony heard of a 24 valve cummins with a cracked block. 3 Dodge dealerships have denied any knowledge of anything like it. The first responce was of the exhaust brake and heat build up. They don't act like this a valid warranty claim even less than 70k and 4 years. ANY help in this matter would be appreciated in advance. My second appointment with them is monday at 8:00 am. Thanks Kelly.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:10 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Cracked Cummins

Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let them jerk your string. There were a series of bad blocks cast. Ours cracked at 50,000 and there was no hesitation to change it. Our Dodge dealer subbed it to Cummins and they installed a new short block. If my understanding is right the bad blocks have a "53" cast into the passenger side. The block cracks near the turbo area and leaks antifreeze. If it is the same crack situation, it is under full warranty, I would go to a different dealer you are using a "*******."

One caution DO NOT put block sealer into it, that will kill the warrenty.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:00 PM

Thanks this does help and glad someone has the same problem. (Not really. wouldn't wish this on anybody) My crack is in the same place as mentioned and I have not checked on the numbers. (three inches long , right side, 2 inches beneath the head gasket.) thanks for the information. I hope I can get some help from the dealer.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy cracked block

I own a 1999 cummins 2500 with 111333 miles that has developed a crack in the block on pass. side about 6"-8" below the head. warranty expired 11,000 miles ago. has anyone found a block sealer that really works? I don't know what else to do. they all make claims, but has anyone found anything that works? any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
http://www.stamey.nu/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

All you need to know about 53 blocks and cracks.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Don't let them jerk your string. There were a series of bad blocks cast. Ours cracked at 50,000 and there was no hesitation to change it. Our Dodge dealer subbed it to Cummins and they installed a new short block. If my understanding is right the bad blocks have a "53" cast into the passenger side. The block cracks near the turbo area and leaks antifreeze. If it is the same crack situation, it is under full warranty, I would go to a different dealer you are using a "*******."

One caution DO NOT put block sealer into it, that will kill the warrenty.
ive seen it several times over years. it is in fact warranty-able. I am a dealer and would take care of it for anyone without a "obvious" modification which could have comprimised heat exchange or the block itself. try another dealer
Old 03-03-2006, 07:41 PM

Exclamation

Block sealer seams to work for about a week and then it gets worse

mine got so bad i had to add water daily for regular driving... and when i was pulling i would have to pull over and fill it up about every hunderd miles

mine cracked at 101,380

cummins offered to pay half of expense for new block and installation but it was going to be 3,000 out of my pocket so i bit the bullet and went to the wrecking yard and found a 2002 so motor with 30,000 miles for 1750 with exchange.

Pm me Ive got a block that would work if your interested

Just trying to help
Jake
Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 PM

The last reply before today was in 2002. I am pretty sure that he has it fixed or sold What block do you have?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:05 PM

THIS WAS POSTED TODAY
Originally Posted by stormy76
I own a 1999 cummins 2500 with 111333 miles that has developed a crack in the block on pass. side about 6"-8" below the head. warranty expired 11,000 miles ago. has anyone found a block sealer that really works? I don't know what else to do. they all make claims, but has anyone found anything that works? any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jake
Old 03-03-2006, 09:11 PM

My 53 Cracked At 120,000 And Dc Turned There Backs On Me Said It Was Over Warrenty Sorry Pal So 7 Grand Later She's Running A 55 Block And Doing Fine
Old 03-03-2006, 09:46 PM

cracked block

Had the same problem as everybody else! Mine on my 99ctd cracked at 75213 on the speedo. However I was 10 months out of warranty! Called dealer no help said they had never heard of it. Duh Then called detroit they advised either or! either 5 years or 100,000 miles! hecked wirh Cummins, yes we've had problems! Will be glad to give new block but Dodge has to iniate the claim. Called Dodge and the dealer back. Their reply was your out of warranty! Truck with the exception of the 11/2 crack this thing looked like it was new. I had taken real good care of my baby. Never pulled any heavy loads just my massey 165. I mean how heavy is that! This was before these forums and before I knew about the dreaded "53" blocks. No one wanted to help me. Checked into a cummins block and using it and my internal parts was going to be about $5000.00 and then there was guarntee that there wasn't any other problems! Thought about this for a few days, and came up with my solution! Trade it back to the dealer and get additional 100,000 mile warranty to cover things maybe? Did so and 3 days later they called me. Did this truck ever run hot with you, did you know this truck had a crack in the block? WHAT A CRACK NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE!! Happy with my 2004!
My mechanic friend said why another one? I advised that they were good trucks just a bad flaw! END OF STORY! When you get a LEMON trade it back while they're not looking and make LEMONAIDE! fair justice !
Old 03-03-2006, 11:53 PM

now thats what call Justice!!!!

Dan
Old 03-04-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zukgod1
now thats what call Justice!!!!

Dan
....and the dealer filled the system, sent the truck to the auction, someone payed good money for it there and it most likely ended up on some little rat car lot somewhere. DTR member saw this "clean" truck and payed even more for it and is now reading about cracked 53 blocks and realizes that we are talking about his truck....yeah you got em all right! Happens all the time. If you had the time I could type a good story about a PT Cruiser I was re-aquainted with last week....
Old 03-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
....and the dealer filled the system, sent the truck to the auction, someone payed good money for it there and it most likely ended up on some little rat car lot somewhere. DTR member saw this "clean" truck and payed even more for it and is now reading about cracked 53 blocks and realizes that we are talking about his truck....yeah you got em all right!
And what would YOU have done in that situation?

Seems the 'dealer' that denied any knowledge of the cracked block situation ended up with one as a trade in, they got a taste of their own medicine. Yeah, you bet he got 'em good! I would have done the same thing.

Buyer beware...
I've had a son in law and two buddies come ask me about used Cummins. They are not DTR members. I told them right off the bat to check the block for a number 53 cast on it. If it has the dread 53 on it- walk away.

There has got to be very few DTR members that DON'T know or have heard of the 53 block problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked Cummins