3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel module suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel module suggestions

Problems with yer Walbro? Troubles with yer Fass? Yer fuel tank startin' to look like swiss cheese from them other drill'n'dip modifications?

Well, check this out, bunkie...........

The '05-'06 Jeep Liberty CRD is a CP3 draw-from-tank system - it uses the identical fuel module assembly, but without the electric pump - the fuel supply and fuel return line fittings are identical - the cannister fills thru the bottom screen - the fuel guage sender is identical in form and function, so it is plug-n-guage - the electrical connector is identical, so it would be a plug-n-go modification, but you will lose the in-tank pump.

The fuel guage sender is replaceable and separately serviceble, and is directly swappable between modules, if your float arm is different.

Dodge on the left (ignore the black tank gasket from a gasser (patooie!)), Jeep on the right - identical size fuel supply and return line fittings - identical electrical connectors.

Samo samo alla time no sweat, G.I. - try it, you'll like it.....................

Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is a great find! Thanks for posting that.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:16 PM

In other words doing this swap would eliminate the need to drill your tank for a draw straw?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:53 PM

Yes................
Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GMCTD is da man!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:08 PM

That's a good find. You wouldnt even have to run your MITUSA, GDP, etc fuel connections back to the tank. I think you could just connect in near the factory fuel filter. We might have to worry about priming the fuel system after a filter change when using only a mechanical pump?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Have you tried dropping one into a new truck? I want to see it done before I take the plunge.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:40 PM

I dropped the '06 Dodge Diesel module in our '05 Jeep Diesel-

Jeep oem

Jeep module, gettin' outta town

Dodge module, in residence

Jeep module

Dodge module

Good enuff fer ya?

Don't really understand why anyone would want to run a draw-from-tank system with a Diesel, anyway, particularly a hi-perf Diesel - Diesel fuel aerates hyper-easily - air leaks are almost undetectable, where fuel leaks are quickly evidenced under pressure - why not pressurize the system from the tank forward, also very helpful at prime time..............
Old 12-01-2007, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the draw straw to small on this set up????
Old 12-01-2007, 01:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a whole bunch better then the cutting and a sawing crud. I lost my factory one when they upgraded my LP to the factory in tank unit and I didn't get the old module back.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:55 AM

Is any one running this yet or just that it will go in tank, if not are the plug in for the wiring the same. Thanks
Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
This is a great find. Hopefully the Jeep module is not too expensive.

The Jeep fuel module must work the same as the 2003-4.5 Dodge fuel module.
There is a one way valve to capture and retain fuel in the bottom of the module as the fuel sloshes back and forth in the bottom of the tank.

I sure don't know why Dodge over engineered the fuel module when they added the in-tank pump to it.

Great work.... Joe
Old 12-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Since I don't have an in-tank pump, I'm not up on the ones with, so forgive me if my questioning here is stupid.

On the 05s and up when you add a FASS or GDP pump kit, do you leave the factory pump in the tank but disable it and then drill a hole for a new pickup spot? So the point of this would be what - just to not drill a hole? You still have to drop the tank, right? Is the factory LP originally part of the pickup assembly so that when you put the Liberty pickup in there is no longer a LP?

Sorry for all the questions, but my dad has an '06 that needs a LP and I just want to understand all this before we do his.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The Dodge diesel in-tank pump fuel module is totally mickey mouse in my opinion although it has proven to be reliable.
If you go to the Glacier Diesel Performance website, there is a very good analysis of the in-tank pump.

The in-tank pump doesn't have enough capacity for any kind of performance mods. Any kind of external fuel pump upgrade requires bypassing the entire module. A hole and a separate fuel pickup line (eg "draw straw") is installed in the the tank. The bottom of the tank is not baffled nor sumped at all so the simple fuel pick up line is easily exposed when the tank gets low on fuel.
The Glacier Diesel website has details on this in the 05-07 fuel pump upgrade instructions.

The Jeep module will fix this problem. Hmmm, assuming the Jeep module will flow enough fuel that is.

For anyone who still has the stock fuel pump mounted on the fuel filter housing.
When (not if!) it fails, make sure you hang on to the original in-tank fuel module.

Btw, have a look at this.. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....UMP_FPD4089602

The original external Cummins fuel pump is not only still available but so much cheaper now.
Although I recommend upgrading and not replacing this very weak and failure prone lift pump if it does fail.

... I hope this info helps, Joe
Old 12-02-2007, 12:19 PM

anyone priced one of these Jeep fuel cannisters yet? thinking about ordering one to fix my issues next week.

also one question. how does the Jeep version get and retain fuel into the cup when the tank is low? the Ram version uses the in-tank LP to pull a vacuum and open a little flapper valve letting fuel in. but once the fuel gets into the cup, it can't get back out (which is a good thing when the rest of the tank's fuel is sloshing around). curious to see how the Jeep version does this.

Quick Reply: Fuel module suggestions