Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How To Update A Smarty

Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How To Update A Smarty

We need a thread "Update A Smarty for Dummies" to tell everyone using a Smarty how to update it.

The instructions from the Smarty web site are for 5th year computer science students, and not for me. With NO explination, it tells me to disconnect the computer from the internet. Well then, how am I suppose to update the Smarty with the computer disconnected from the internet? No explination.

Where do you save the down loads to? No explination. How do you install the driver? No explination of where save the driver to.

I last time I upgraded the Smarty it was a nightmare, way more complicated than it needed to be, and not well thought out. Instructions were poor.

This thread will be for tips to download everything you need to upgrade the Smarty.

Please keep your comments in this thread focused on uploading new data to a Smarty.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Create a folder on your desktop called Smarty. Download the driver, the USB tool and the zip tool and the particular Smarty sw you want to use. When you plug in your Smarty, Windows will open with a wizard to install the driver. Don't allow Windows to search for the driver, tell it to look in the Smarty folder on the desktop and install from there.

Create a new folder within the Smarty folder, name the folder with something like Unzipped Smarty v.1 or whatever you like. Using the zip tool, select the downloaded smarty software and unzip the file into the folder you just created.

Using the USB tool, select file, open and direct the USB tool to the unzipped Smarty software and let it do it's thing.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by Mike D
Don't allow Windows to search for the driver, tell it to look in the Smarty folder on the desktop and install from there.
That is key. When I would type in the file they recommended I would get an error saying unable to find.

When I clicked on browse and just put the whole folder in, it worked. Only took 6 months to figure that out.

If the folder has a zipper on it, just make sure to right click it, and select extract files.

It took me a while to figure it out, but I eventually got it.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Okay, what happens if I plugged the Smarty in and Windows assigned a driver? This is what I'm talking about. There is nothing on the Smarty web site talking about creating a new folder.

What zip tool are you talking about? Where do I find that?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:26 PM

I am thinking of buying a smarty...does this thing need to be upgraded periodicly after purchase? What are you guys upgrading for? special downloads .... or something?

I just want something I can buy once and plug in and download with my choice of the 9 settings and try each one and be done with it, it's like 70 hp or so on the top setting for '01 trucks right? that's enough power for me...what would the download/internet stuff allow me to do differenty and/or additionally than the smarty box itself as it comes when/if I purchase it?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Chapter President

http://www.7-zip.org/

It's at the bottom of the update page on the Mads site. There is a image that says 7zip, above is the link.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Chapter President

Sunir, Please respect the request of Geico226 and keep this thread on topic.

thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If I get to it I'll do a step by step of it with screenshots- the windows box will be in German but it should convey the necessary steps.
But maybe one of the vendors or power users could do it on his machine (in English) and taake screenshots of each step (ctrl+print keys will copy a screenshot to the clipboard, and with paint or any other graphics program you can paste the screenshot and save it as a file- then put them somewhere on the web and make a post including the urls).

Just ot the gist of something like that:
(sorry didn't get further in the short time:

Go to www.madselectronics.com

Then click on download
and download the marked files on the bottom of the page

Save these files in a folder called smarty on the desktop

Now doubleclick the smarty folder on the desktop and you should have something like this:

Double click the folder with the zipper on it and it should look like this:

Select all by pressing ctrl+A keys simultaneously:

Copy all the files by pressing ctrl+C
press the "up" arrow in explorer and with a right click create a folder "CDM"-unzipped"

Double-click the folder and press ctrl+V to paste all the files from the zipped folder in there.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
Sunir, Please respect the request of Geico226 and keep this thread on topic.

thanks.
Sorry. If anyone can reply to my post please PM me. Otherwise I have nothing further to add on how to 'upload a smarty' since I don't own a smarty other than my concern of the very fact that a smarty would need to be uploaded at all once purchased and for what gains? I suspect that is another topic...

good luck
Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 PM

Ok I Tryed Everything You Guys Said, Now I Have A Smarty With No Program In It At All. All It Says Is Memory Empty. What Do I Do Now????????
Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Chapter President

I thought my directions were clear. You have to unzip the Smarty file that you downloaded from the MADS site using the 7zip program, then the USB (Smarty looking icon) will find the .smt files.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:50 AM

Sorry folks, I'll try to finish it today...
Old 09-26-2007, 04:20 AM

Let's continue with the instructions:

Download 7zip

And install it by double-clicking the 7zip icon:

Follow the instructions of the installer.

Now let's download one of the files from madselectronics or use the special file you got e-mailed:
First we put it into the smarty folder:

Now by right-clicking it we can choose 7-zip and extract here:

And the result of this is that we have an .smt file in the smarty folder

Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 AM

Now we are ready to plug in our smarty for the first time!

There will be a new hardware found dialog

Tell him that you have a disk and point it to the smarty folder on your desktop and select the folder CDM2-unzipped

The assistant will install the driver for you.

This will happen twice!!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 AM

Now let's go back to our trusty "smarty" folder on the desktop and double-click the smarty-usb icon:

Now you'll see a screen like this:

Let's open a file:

It will only let you select the .smt file we extracted before:

Now the program shows you which file you would send- like this:

After clicking "Send" you'll see that your smarty is being erased!

Then the program sends the new data to the smarty:

Do not be alarmed when the estimated time is jumping around or seems to hang...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Update A Smarty