HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

P0251 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0251 code

Ok guys i'm a newbie to diesel power. Just got this truck about a month ago. It now will not run. I checked the codes to find a P0251 which according to what i can find is the fuel pressure regulator on the injection pump. The question i have is there a source for just the regulator or do i have to bite the bullet as the dealer says and buy the whole pump. Thanks for any help. I guess i should mention that the truck is a 2004 Dodge ram 3500 with the 5.9.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by redneck7769
Ok guys i'm a newbie to diesel power. Just got this truck about a month ago. It now will not run. I checked the codes to find a P0251 which according to what i can find is the fuel pressure regulator on the injection pump. The question i have is there a source for just the regulator or do i have to bite the bullet as the dealer says and buy the whole pump. Thanks for any help. I guess i should mention that the truck is a 2004 Dodge ram 3500 with the 5.9.
More than likely, Your FCA (fuel control actuator) went bad. Call cummins w/your engine number or Industrial(vendor of your coosing) to get a new FCA. So you know, the FCA is located on the back of the injecton pump with a two wire connector leading to it. You may want to remove the plug, clean it and hook it back up again.

Richard
Old 07-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Scroll down in the "HELP" section and click on the "Cummins sounds like a Powerstroke"
I have the same issue and there is a test procedure posted on that thread.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:04 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Also tell your dealer ( not very up on things by the way! ) that there is a TSB that says the FCA is now available as a service part. Meaning that you can buy it separate from the pump! The TSB was released 7-8-2005. Here is a copy you can take with you to buy the part IF that is what you diagnose as failed.

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
SUBJECT:
Electronic Fuel Control (EFC) Actuator Available For Service
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the EFC Actuator.
MODELS:
2003 - 2005 DR/DH Ram Truck
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a Cummins Turbo Diesel
(sales code ETC or ETH).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Engine surges at idle.
DIAGNOSIS:
ENGINE SURGES AT IDLE
Possible Causes
Fuel Supply System
Injection System
Fuel Return
Intake System
Other Vehicle Systems
Base Engine
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.
1. DTC's - Check for any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) present. - Are there any
DTC's stored or active?
a. Yes >> Repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
b. No >> Go to Step #2.
NUMBER: 14-004-05
GROUP: Fuel
DATE: July 8, 2005
2. Verify complaint - Verify proper fuel quality, grade, and level in the vehicle. Using the
DRBIII®, log the fuel pressure set point and fuel pressure. Operate the engine at idle
speed. A good system will have actual fuel pressure that is +/- 500 PSI from the set
point. (Example: If the fuel pressure set point at idle is 6500 PSI, the actual fuel
pressure on a good system is expected to be between 6000 - 7000 PSI). If fuel
pressure variation is excessive, an audible surge will be present. If the variation is
severe, a slight engine speed variation may also be noticed. - Does the fuel rail
pressure fluctuate more than +/- 500 PSI?
a. Yes >> Go to Step #3.
b. No >> Go to Step #7.
NOTE: A loud “knock” and black smoke that exists with a pressure drop may be an
injector issue and should be identified using single cylinder cut-out test.
3. Verify proper low pressure fuel supply to the injection pump. Perform the “In Tank
Fuel Lift Pump Flow Test - Diesel”. In a good system fuel flow of 430 mL in 10 seconds
or better is expected. Be sure there is no air in the system. Is the low pressure fuel
supply sufficient?
a. Yes >> Go to Step #4.
b. No >> Repair the low pressure fuel supply system. Refer to the detailed diagnostic
information available in TechCONNECT under: Service Info, 9 - Engine, Diagnosis
& Testing, Fuel Lift Pump - Diesel. - This bulletin does not apply.
4. Verify High Pressure Fuel Pump Performance. - Remove the fuel pump to rail high
pressure fuel line. Inspect the fuel pump outlet port for rust, debris, or other sign of
contamination. - Is contamination present?
a. Yes >> Go to Step #6.
b. No >> Go to Step #5.
5. Verify fuel injection pump flow. - Route the high pressure fuel line to a graduated
container. Crank the engine until fuel exits the line (with the discharge line routed to
atmosphere, fuel will discharge at 0 PSI). Crank the engine for three 10 second
intervals, pausing to allow the starter to cool between each crank event. Fuel flow
specification is based on engine cranking speed. 1. Minimum fuel pump flow at 150
RPM; 70 mL in 30 seconds. 2. Minimum fuel pump flow at 200 RPM; 90 mL in 30
seconds. Is the fuel flow sufficient?
a. Yes >> Go to Step #8.
b. No >> Step #6.
6. This bulletin does not apply. Replace the fuel injection pump. Check for source of
water to prevent future complaints. Refer to the detailed service information available
in TechCONNECT under: Service Info, 14 - Fuel System, Fuel Injection, Fuel Injection
Pump.
7. Further diagnosis is necessary. This bulletin does not apply. Refer to SB
14-003-05.
8. Perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
1 05183245AA Actuator
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII®)
CH7000A J1962 Cable with red DRBIII® connector
14-004-05 -2-
9011 Adapter, Fuel Pressure Test
9012 Fitting, Fuel System Test
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Replace the EFC as follows, if the high pressure fuel pump is discharging the correct
amount of fuel.
a. Remove the cap screws (3).
b. Using a (Clockwise/Counterclockwise) twisting motion, remove the EFC.
c. Using a (Clockwise/Counterclockwise) twisting motion, install the EFC.
d. Install the cap screws (3). Torque the cap screws in two steps. Step 1 - Torque all
cap screws to 3 N·m (27 in. lbs.). Step 2 - Torque all cap screws to 7 N·m (62 in.
lbs.).
e. Start the engine to remove air from the fuel system. >> Go to Step #2.
2. Repair Complete. - Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER - 1 (Diesel). Refer to 8 -
Electrical/Electronic Control Modules/Engine Control Module - Diagnosis And Testing.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
14-45-11-90 Replace Electronic Fuel Control Actuator 0.5 Hrs.
85-41-00-00 Operation Diagnostics A/T
FAILURE CODE:
58 Internal Defect