12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Welded 5th gear nut on!! PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welded 5th gear nut on!! PICS!

Ok, this baby should be on there now. The hardest part is just cleaning the threads on the mainshaft so u can get a clean weld. I took a welding wire and wrapped a thin piece of paper towel to clean them, and used some acetone. I wanted to make a thread in case people that search can have easy access to see what it looks like. Oh, and even if u drain all the fluid from the drain plug there will still be a nice amount that comes out when u remove the rear housing, just a heads up since my garage floor is covered in kitty litter now,

rear housing off

5th gear nut

cleaned up and ready to weld

5th gear nut welded 1

5th gear nut welded 2
Old 04-01-2007, 09:36 PM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great job!
Old 04-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Very nice job, looks excellent. Only thing I noticed though, is that you aren't a real welder.

A "real" welder would have attached that ground clamp to the input shaft or case, so that every bearing in the thing could get its own special jolting arc...

Seriously though, good work, and hope it holds well for you.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:06 PM

Im confused.I thought manual trannys used synthetic gear oil.I looks like atf everywhere
Old 04-01-2007, 11:16 PM

ground directly on the nut is just fine. shortest path for electrons to avoid bearings. on the case would be a nono.......then it would HAVE to pass through a bearing to get to ground.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Banned

yea, I started the arc off the nut so it grounded pretty nice. The first tack I made I forgot to turn on the gas though, lol, that was funny. It got great penetration, but It didn't get to hot either since I did small beads.

The oil in it looks like the same mopar nv4500 synthetic i just bought to put in. I'm pretty sure that was the stock oil drained for the first time.

thanks Demon and timmy22 for the info on this.....
Old 04-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Banned

I only have one 12 point 10mm wrench, and it's one of those small ratcheting wrenchs, and the ratchet mechanism snapped trying to get one of the rear housing bolts loose, So i had to weld the mechanism together so it was just a wrench, no more ratchet, lol. And talk about a pain cleaning that old cover sealant off for some new RTV, man that stuff sucks.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:37 AM

great pics !!! I hope it holds for you.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 AM

Looks great, Great Job. now to get that puppy in the truck in place of that 47RE. Take lots of pictures/notes because I may be right behind you on this one.

Have you bought your clutch pedal/ master cylinder yet or did they send you that with the tranny from the donor truck?

What clutch disk are you going with?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Banned

I'm sure it'll be fine, but I've always heard it best to weld the nut to the gear, then you don't effect the metalurgy of the shaft and if you need to tear down/rebuild, you don't have to throw away the shaft, just grind/burn the welds, and the nut and gear come right off
Old 04-02-2007, 08:04 AM

Nice job. Not to change subject though, but the fluid I bought from the dealer was almost clear like the castrol syntorque. That stuff does look like ATF!!!!! Pete
Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Banned

wierd, i can take a pic of the mopar nv4500 synthetic I bought from the dealer, through the window on the quart it looks dark redish...

Originally Posted by Timmy22
Have you bought your clutch pedal/ master cylinder yet or did they send you that with the tranny from the donor truck?

What clutch disk are you going with?
The whole pedal assembly came from the donor at the junkyard (you just need the pedals but they included the whole thing including mount and gas(diesel) pedal, lol. I bought a new clutch master/slave cylinder from southbend because the dismantlers at the junkyard cut the slave line going to the master, lol, they gave me a refund though.

I bought the clutch from Valair, It's got a 3200# disc, and according to the site it's rated for 450hp 900tq, but i'm only at like 200hp, lol, so i've got room to grow.

I'll take some pics for sure, but I usually get rolling and forget until i'm done, lol.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
Im confused.I thought manual trannys used synthetic gear oil.I looks like atf everywhere
Syn atf is red also
Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
I'm sure it'll be fine, but I've always heard it best to weld the nut to the gear, then you don't effect the metalurgy of the shaft and if you need to tear down/rebuild, you don't have to throw away the shaft, just grind/burn the welds, and the nut and gear come right off
True, but if the transmission is to the point that it needs a rebuild, the splines on the mainshaft and 5th gear will probably be worn to the point that replacing them both would be a good idea. Then it's time for the proper long term fix: a fully splined mainshaft and new 5th gear nut.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Banned

I just opened up a bottle of the mopar oil and it's the clearish stuff.... so, u think someone had ATF in it? What can I do to clean out most the old oil, or is it fine to just fill it up with the new stuff since this other stuff's been in there already.

Quick Reply: Welded 5th gear nut on!! PICS!