3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lampout Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lampout Light

Does the "Lampout Light" only appear when a bulb is about to die? I just rolled in my drive way and it kicked on. Everylight on the truck works fine. It will stay on solid for a while then start to flash w/ a beep every couple of minutes.

My fathers truck even does the same thing from time to time, the lampout light will appear but everything is fine. I'm guessing it is a bad connection somewhere?

Oh and on a sidenote, do these trucks have cabin air filters?
Old 12-22-2006, 04:39 PM

Not sure on the light, but im pretty sure they dont come with cabin air filters from the factory, but I think genosgarage has some for our trucks....

Did you check all the lights, like the high beams too? But it could also be like what you said, check all the plugs make sure theyre plugged in well...

EDIT

here it is...
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....=CFF-DG-19003K
Old 12-22-2006, 04:52 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Here's the deal.

The tail lights on these Dodges are the plug in with 2 wire tracks on each side like a cartridge. The filaments never fail at least I have yet to encounter the filament failing. What happens is the tracks are too small to deal with stop and go traffic or lots of brake, the plastic that the tracks run across melt due to the tracks getting over-heated, at first you'll get an intermittent annoying light and chime, after a while it will finally melt to the point that it won't light up and it will trip your light out indicator permanently. 3 ways to solve this...

1. Replace with OEM style bulb (Small tracks melt again)

2. Replace with an upgrade bulb with larger tracks (Off-brand, it will last a lot longer than the OEM)

3. Replace with an LED replacement lamp (Never fail again, minimal Amp draw)

Choice 1 and 2, make sure you clean the contacts of the receptacle where the tracks touch. I was going through brake lamps 1 every 3-4 months before I finally found the larger track lamps, when they go out again I'll switch to the LED style.

Last edited by steelblitzkrieg; 12-22-2006 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2006, 02:46 AM

I had a similiar problem today, the lamp out light flashed for a period of time then remained lit. I found that the drivers headlight was not working. I replaced both drivers and passengers, I like to replace in sets, with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's. I turned on the lights and again it did not work??? After 30 seconds or so it magically started working on its own. I has been working trouble free since??? I looked in the relay box but did not see a relay marked for headlights, only stop turn tail and fog's.

Any ideas on that??
Old 12-23-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
Does the "Lampout Light" only appear when a bulb is about to die? I just rolled in my drive way and it kicked on. Everylight on the truck works fine. It will stay on solid for a while then start to flash w/ a beep every couple of minutes.

My fathers truck even does the same thing from time to time, the lampout light will appear but everything is fine. I'm guessing it is a bad connection somewhere?

Oh and on a sidenote, do these trucks have cabin air filters?
You going with factory replacement bulbs? I changed a taillight at about 55,000 miles. I almost went with LED, but I didn't want to spend a few more $$ for them. And I wasn't sure how they would look.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by stock03
You going with factory replacement bulbs? I changed a taillight at about 55,000 miles. I almost went with LED, but I didn't want to spend a few more $$ for them. And I wasn't sure how they would look.
The weird thing is all my lights work. So I don't realy know where to start looking for a bad one. If one goes out on the tail lights I will put the stock bulbs back in, the LED's sound cool but like you said they may look ugly. If the fronts die I would like to find some brighter one, I keep hearing about these Sylvania Silverstars, are they pricey?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
Here's the deal.

The tail lights on these Dodges are the plug in with 2 wire tracks on each side like a cartridge. The filaments never fail at least I have yet to encounter the filament failing. What happens is the tracks are too small to deal with stop and go traffic or lots of brake, the plastic that the tracks run across melt due to the tracks getting over-heated, at first you'll get an intermittent annoying light and chime, after a while it will finally melt to the point that it won't light up and it will trip your light out indicator permanently. 3 ways to solve this...

2. Replace with an upgrade bulb with larger tracks (Off-brand, it will last a lot longer than the OEM)

Choice 1 and 2, make sure you clean the contacts of the receptacle where the tracks touch. I was going through brake lamps 1 every 3-4 months before I finally found the larger track lamps, when they go out again I'll switch to the LED style.

So I just need to remove my tail lights and check the tracks? All the lights still function so one is bound to die sometime soon if the annoying lampout indicator light is on.

If I go w/ option number 2 I can find an upgraded bulb w/ a larger track where at?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The steel german has hit the nail on the head.

You didn't do a search for "lampout" did you? Very common problem.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:01 PM

My intermittent lamp out gave me grief for a awhile. Everything was still working Dealer said it was the module but did not have in stock. So I took it home and and started removing bulbs. Tail light brake light bulbs 3057 had a plastic base. One looked like it was getting hot with little burn marks but still worked. I decided to replace the bulb and went to local Napa parts store. The replacement 3057 now has a glass base instead of the plastic. Counter guy said they changed it due to problems with the plastic base getting to hot.
After replacing with new glass base bulbs no more problems.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:26 PM
DTR Detective

The glass base one's are the upgrade, sorry forgot to mention they were glass along with having larger tracks. Chevy had this same problem on their Trailblazer's IIRC. Glad to see they are doing away with the plastic base completely.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:59 PM
DTR Detective

If the fronts die I would like to find some brighter one, I keep hearing about these Sylvania Silverstars, are they pricey?
I like the Silverstars, but they haven't had a good lifespan so far 2yr average for my 02. They are far superior in brightness and vision compared to the factory OEM lamps. They aren't very expensive I believe 20.00 each or close to that last time I changed them.

For the headlamps I don't know when they switched from the 9007 bulb to the H-13 bulbs, but the 9007 is available in Silverstar, but the H-13's I have only found in Sylvania Xtravision which is not as white colored as the silverstars, but still just as bright.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
Here's the deal.

where did you get the upgraded bulbs @?? my light out thing is driving me CRAZY beepin all the time from my left tail light
Old 12-30-2006, 05:55 PM
DTR Detective

Autozone or Napa Auto, I'm sure you can get them just about anywhere now.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:13 PM

For the headlamps I don't know when they switched from the 9007 bulb to the H-13 bulbs, but the 9007 is available in Silverstar, but the H-13's I have only found in Sylvania Xtravision which is not as white colored as the silverstars, but still just as bright.[/QUOTE]

I just bought a pair of Sylvania H-13 Silverstars today at Autozone. I can't wait until it gets dark to test them . As far as I can tell, the Ultras aren't available for the H-13 yet.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:51 PM
DTR Detective

Sylvania needs to update their site.

Quick Reply: Lampout Light