Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2LOW on the cheap!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2LOW on the cheap!!

I had this posted over on the North Texas event thread, but I thought I would post the information elsewhere for those who don't follow the North Tex suff.

I installed my 2LOW system this past weekend with great results. I recieved all my parts for under $5... Parts used were:

12V Lighted Rocker switch- NAPA
Inline fuse holder w/fuse- NAPA
1ft vac hose- NAPA
vac solenoid from an older RX7

Some were interested in the vac switch I picked up. I actually got it from a friend of mine that is an RX7 nut. Whole system can be done for under 20 bucks!! PM me for info...

2LO lighted rocker switch

Vac solenoid from RX7 showing Vac hookups

Vac solenoid from RX7

The solenoids have a little clip on them for attachment. I used a piece of little 'L' braket and drilled a couple holes for a zip tie to go through. The clip would have probably held fine on the L bracket however I thought the engine vibration might have taken its toll. The solenoid is extremely secure now and works great!!

Last edited by wannadiesel; 12-06-2006 at 03:42 PM. Reason: remove ad
Old 12-05-2006, 10:12 PM

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does this "2LOW" system do?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:06 PM

Yeah, What He Said?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm assuming being able to use lowrange in 2wd mode....
Old 12-05-2006, 11:12 PM

Thats a pretty cool setup. I might try something like that. It lets you put your truck in 4wd low range so that you have low range, but it keeps the front axle disengaged so that you can still turn tight.

Eric
Old 12-05-2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
Thats a pretty cool setup. I might try something like that. It lets you put your truck in 4wd low range so that you have low range, but it keeps the front axle disengaged so that you can still turn tight.

Eric
What he said For me its most useful when manuvering large heavy trailers slowly with a grabby clutch... Its also nice to be able to use low range on hard ground without the binding and bouncing associated with the 4 wheel drive being engaged.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Banned

Another great idea is the 4x4 posi-loc! But the idea used by the 2 lo switch is simple, it interrupts the vaccum so the front axle doesn't engage when the t-case is shifted into low range. No vaccum= shift motor does not slide collar to lock the intermediate axle to the outer axle in the CAD. Power is still transmitted to the front axle but does not make it to the wheels.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigNasty
Another great idea is the 4x4 posi-loc! But the idea used by the 2 lo switch is simple, it interrupts the vaccum so the front axle doesn't engage when the t-case is shifted into low range. No vaccum= shift motor does not slide collar to lock the intermediate axle to the outer axle in the CAD. Power is still transmitted to the front axle but does not make it to the wheels.
Well said BigNasty... I looked at posi lock kits as well, and although they are probably a better option I liked the the price tag on a 2LO system
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice install!!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:23 AM

I've got BD's Diesels 2 Low Kit, it was $65 i think, easy install, great instructions, I use mine all the time to backup the trailer. No more slippn the clutch.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bnold
Well said BigNasty... I looked at posi lock kits as well, and although they are probably a better option I liked the the price tag on a 2LO system
I agree...im just saying the posi lock is awesome and well worth the money.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBigNasty
I agree...im just saying the posi lock is awesome and well worth the money.
My question is why do you have a posi lock on a truck with no front driveshaft.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:55 PM
Banned

hey it had a driveshaft at one time....want to give me the money for an indexing ring so i can put it back in?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM

I love this idea....and posting to tag the thread....i think i am going to talk one of the lathe guys next door to pop me out a billet alum shift **** with a hole for a switch....they even said that the CNC could emboss the top of it with the shift pattern........this could get fun......but cold on winter days! haha.....

Love the idea........and will love it more when i finaly get my Con O or OFE.......
Old 12-06-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dan
I love this idea....and posting to tag the thread....i think i am going to talk one of the lathe guys next door to pop me out a billet alum shift **** with a hole for a switch....they even said that the CNC could emboss the top of it with the shift pattern........
That would be extremely cool

Quick Reply: 2LOW on the cheap!!