3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

chrome block heater plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrome block heater plug

We have these on our big trucks and I thought it would be cool to have one on my little truck. I am impressed with the results.

The housing is International part #1655253C1. It appears to be a universal part, so you might try a truck parts store or whichever truck dealer is near you. It will not work with the stock block heater cord, rather it takes one with a round end that slips inside the housing. The end where it plugs into the heater is the same. Should be able to do this for under $50 including a new cord. Just a little cutting and drilling. I need to replace the screws with stainless ones before winter.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
**** (ha ha) DARN good idea. Thanks for the pictures. I will be looking into that.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 AM

Genos also makes a kit that goes just above the chrome portion of the bumper.

I do like your setup though, looks good!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

I've never seen a chrome one! Looks good. Mine is a grey plastic one just to the left of the chrome armadillo!

New Pic

Old Pic
Old 09-14-2006, 12:52 PM

I've got the one from Genos. I put mine under my bumper right beside my License plate so it is kinda hidden between my plow mount & my tag. Now that I get to thinking though, it might be hard to get to w/ the plow on.... uh oh.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:34 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am goin todo the one from genos also but i orderd mine from bass pro shop same deal less the mount but it does have the lock washer like the fittings from electrical boxes have like a explosion proof box would. what i gather is i should be alble to just lop the end off my block heater and then wire it back to the one from bps? I am thinking either iam goin to drill right be hind the corner marker or on the middle of the side of the bumper.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 PM

You can also get one that is similar to the one in geno's for around $17 from a good marine supplier. The brand is call Marinco. Worked great on my 2002 powerpuff.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:59 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

I got mine from bass pro shops.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:06 AM

Just curious, has anyone ever mounted a receptacle for the block heater on the rear of the truck? Pics?

I ask because I have to back into my driveway; it's a tight turn to leave my drive to the road during the wintrer (ditches on each side) and I'd rather be able to see where I am going.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Several spoke of running a large gauge cord and mounting their receptical on the rear bumper.
These members stated it also made it nice as they could just drive off and it would "auto-disconnect" instead of driving down the road with 25 feet of extension cord trailing from the front bumper if they 'forgot' to unplug in the AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:58 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

I am thinking of also splicing into my current plug and running another plug to the back of the truck and mounting it on the pillar behind the tie down ring. That way I can plug it into the front or the back of the truck beings were ever I am at.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Great idea on the plug in. They have them at Cummins shops also. Big rigs use them all the time.

This winter I'm gonna tap the 110v cord & tie in a little ceramic heater for the inside of the cab. When the the timer comes on so does a nice heater to help warm up the cab & defrost the windows. Last year I ran it in from the plug outside and they work great.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:09 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

The thing I like about buying the ones for marine applications is that they designed to hold up to water and that kind of environment. The Marine one i have has a drain on the inside of the plug that way water don't freeze inside it
Old 11-22-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
The thing I like about buying the ones for marine applications is that they designed to hold up to water and that kind of environment. The Marine one i have has a drain on the inside of the plug that way water don't freeze inside it
True, although the housing on the chrome plug is hollow, we have never had water issues with them.

I am getting a lot of PMs on this... the cord is International part # ZBL8608849. This part number either works or doesn't work depending on which dealer you talk to. If you can't get it at your local International dealer, call Hunters Truck Sales at (800) 842-8092

http://www.hunterstrucksales.com/eauclaire.htm

Ask for Justin or Bill in parts, they will ship you one. Justin should know what I am talking about because he gave me the part number when I called recently.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Other Options??

Does anyone know of any other options for a chrome one? I like geno's but it is mostly plastic. I need this for winter. The first pic looks great, but the install may be over my head. The cord I have hanging down now is not very good looking. Thanks.....

Last edited by krisbarger; 11-22-2006 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Missed somthing

Quick Reply: chrome block heater plug