Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tire Balancing Beads

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Balancing Beads

I'm interested in trying the balancing beads. I've done some research on this websight and the TDR site. It looks like
DieselTruckResource member, Infidel, is very impressed with the Dyna ceramic beads from Inovative Balancing. On the TDR websight it seems that Counteract metal beads are number one and Equal glass beads with filtered valve stems are second. I was wondering if anyone had experience with all three and if so which would be their first choice. My truck has the factory 265x16 Michelins and alloy wheels. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Haven't used the Dyna beads yet, they are a newer product, but have used the other two for several years. The Equal was a pain because it would lump with moisture, but I think this may have changed. The Counteract metal beads can likewise rust into a clump but they will break up with driving.

Knowing what I do of ceramic materials the Dyna beads would be my choice without even trying them. I'm a farmer, for sprayer nozzles we have three choices, brass, stainless and ceramic. The ceramic last about 100 times longer than stainless.
I just have to get around to installing the Dyna beads. Prices on all three are about the same.

My feeling for sure is that folks not using some type of balance beads are living in the past. They work great. Lead weights and tire balance machines are ancient technologies that have seen their day.

Click here for a good source and lots of info> tire balance beads
Old 07-25-2004, 06:15 PM

Alot of 4x4 guys use either an anti-freeze/water mix, or brass BB's.

With the anti-freeze, you don't even have to break the bead off the tire... just pull the valve core, put a hose over it connected to a funnel, and slow lift the truck up. The tire will expand, and suck the water right in.

It's what I'm using in my 38.5x14.5 Swampers to make them somewhat livable for the short street drives I take.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:38 PM

HI, one guy i know works for a big trucking outfit as a mech( i will keep nameless) this is what they use, he said that they seam to work but he has not driven any truck with then on , (just going by what the drivers tell him)
i have been thinking on installing some on the dodge , becouse it seams like i just cant get the tires balanced ,
jman

http://centramatic.com/index.html
Old 07-25-2004, 07:06 PM

If you're running with 265/75 R16, use 4 oz per tire of the Dyna Beads. (ceramic)
If you're running with 265/85 R16 use 5 oz per tire.

Most of the threads on the TDR site are older, so the Dyna Beads at www.innovativebalancing.com won't be commented on, it's a new product.

As the Innovative site will tell you, the ceramic version is a much improved version over the glass and steel. The glass were the originals, but because of their light weight, it required a lot of glass beads by volume to get the job done. There were problems when extra weight was needed, especially in light trucks and cars, because the volume of the beads created a "collision" of sorts internally, causing them to lose efficiency.
Because the high-density ceramic was not available when Counteract decided they needed a heavier bead to fix this problem, they used an ordinary steel bead. To try and prevent the inevitable rusting that steel produces in a moist-air environment, they coated the beads with a PTE Teflon. The problem with this route is that steel does not absorb liquid, so the beads quickly lose their coating rolling around the inside of the tire and now are susceptable to rust again. I have used the steel beads and can personally vouch for their rusting inside the tire and the resultant problem. I was in my cabin for about 3 days in the mountains, and never moved the vehicle. I had to go to the store finally, and when I started down the road in my 99 Dodge duallie, I thought somebody had tied bricks to the tires the vibration was so bad. The reason was simple. The moist air inside the tire attacked the steel beads, and they rusted into a large rusted mass. When I started off down the road, it took several miles before things settled down again, and the beads finally broke apart.
If you want to see what the steel beads look like in this condition, go here:
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

There is a patent pending on the ceramic beads.

At any rate, I have the ceramic beads in all 6 tires now, and have put them in the wife's Jeep Cherokee as well. They are a big improvement over glass and steel, and they'll never rust.
You can also purchase the valve cores, and the Alligator V2B Valve Caps from Germany from this same site. You may notice that the prices also get cheaper the more you buy. They offer a simple, but effective applicator to install the beads so you don't have to break down the tire.

I know they are working on an application chart, but if you email them with your size, they'll answer you quickly with the suggested amount for your application. Use your current weights on the truck as a measure of what you need, that also works. To keep it simple, if the largest weight on your truck is 3.5 oz (example), put in 4 oz all the way around, etc.

If you have any questions email them at: info@innovativebalancing.com

Try them, they work great.

Robert
Old 07-25-2004, 07:10 PM

The advantage of real balance beads over b-bs and antifreeze is that once they spread out and balance the tire they mostly stay in place unless you hit a nasty bump. I'd imagine with liquid or b-bs you'd have to be going at least 25 mph before it spreads out.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Banned

Explain to me how these work and how they stay in place once you stop? Do you have to replace them every time you replace tires?
Old 07-25-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Explain to me how these work and how they stay in place once you stop? Do you have to replace them every time you replace tires?
I'm not positive but think a static charge forms on them. I know when they fly all over the place when a tire is removed they stick to everything.

They are one shot deal since you lose them when the tire is removed but are still cheaper than a spin balance at most shops. This is especially true when you consider most tire manufactors recommend their tires be balanced three times in their life if you want to get the maximum miles out of them.

I've known a couple of guys whose tires always cupped when when lead weight balanced that have had the cupping stop instantly when beads were added. I think this has to do with the beads weight being in the center of the tire while lead weights are hanging off to the side on the rim.

I really can't say enough good about balance beads, they're one of those things that once you try you wonder why this isn't the way it's always been done. Probably because tire shops make a lot of money balancing tires.
I wouldn't even consider new tires without them. That's why it's a good idea to plan ahead and have some on hand before new tire time, that way you won't be trapped into a lead weight balance.

I guarantee anyone who tries them won't go back to the old way.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:13 PM
Banned

I get my tires rotated and balanced for free. Well, I dont get charged everytime I go in to have it done, let's say that. I might have to check into these things. If they aren't priced that bad, I might go ahead and do them.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:02 AM

Under $30 for four tires. If you are paying $150 (cheap) for a new tire just 10k more miles on one 50k mile rated tire will pay for the beads. You'll probably get more than 10k of additional life out your tires when they are continuously perfectly balanced plus you don't have to take time going to a shop and relying on a tire jockey who really doesn't care how well your tires are balanced or if your lug nuts are torqued down correctly.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:11 AM

Thanks Infidel and racsw for the replies and information. I'm definitely going with the beads. I had the tires and wheels recently rotated and balanced at a local dealership. They used coated weights but the weights still look used and they scratched my alloy wheels in a few places trying to get the old weights off. The balancing seems ok but I'm not sure. The roads around here are not the smoothest. I have 28k on the tires and they are wearing good so I'm thinking I still have a lot of life left before I buy new ones.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:25 AM

I'm using Equal in the fronts. Smooth as silk up to 100MPH on 37" Swampers.

Haven't had the cajones yet to go past 100.....
Old 07-29-2004, 05:36 AM

For us Duallie owners...

Innovative Balancing just came out with two styles of Duallie Six-Packs, a 4 oz version and a 5 oz. Each has six bags of beads and six filtered valve cores. Saves you having to buy two bags of four to get what you need.

FWIW,
Robert
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 AM

Why would you lose the beads when you change the tires? I've changed tires before with BB's, and we just scoop 'em out, and put 'em in the new tire...

Just wondering why the beads are different?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Racsw

Are the ceramic beads very fine, like Equal, or larger in size, like the Counteract beads?

I tried Counteract about a yr ago and had repeated imbalance below 15-20 mph. Went to Equal with this set of tires and problem was solved. I always figured it was the smaller size (like fine sand for those who have never seen it) that allowed for better static attachment with the Equal.

Any imbalance with the Ceramics? Anyone else tried them or know their size?

RJ

Quick Reply: Tire Balancing Beads