4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Cant Find Compass.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:21 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cant Find Compass.

Random question. So I have a 2014 tradesman 3500 srw, it has no compass on the display....is there a way to turn this on the dealer is doing warranty work on the tire pressure sensors could I have them find it or turn it on?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Random question. So I have a 2014 tradesman 3500 srw, it has no compass on the display....is there a way to turn this on the dealer is doing warranty work on the tire pressure sensors could I have them find it or turn it on?
i have a 2011 3500 ST and i don't have the compass ether . If you can find the option code for it the dealer maybe able to add it to your truck. but if you do find the code please let me know so i can see if i can have it added to mine. thanks Mopar72
Old 10-19-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
For both vehicles, they are very basic. If you don't have the overhead console, especially with the garage door opener, then your trucks do not have the compass module as it is located in the overhead console.

Adding the module/overhead console may require additional wiring to the headliner, however the connectors to run the additional wiring will probably be in the passenger side A-pillar.

Now as far as getting it to display, it may be automatic once detected. I don't recall seeing an option to enable/disable the compass with the AutoEnginuity ScanTool on my truck although I could have just overlooked it.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 6.7L MegaCab
For both vehicles, they are very basic. If you don't have the overhead console, especially with the garage door opener, then your trucks do not have the compass module as it is located in the overhead console.

Adding the module/overhead console may require additional wiring to the headliner, however the connectors to run the additional wiring will probably be in the passenger side A-pillar.

Now as far as getting it to display, it may be automatic once detected. I don't recall seeing an option to enable/disable the compass with the AutoEnginuity ScanTool on my truck although I could have just overlooked it.
I did not know that. I tried a quick search on ebay but could not find one. Well i planed on buying the map light set up for my truck. wonder how hard it would be to install the compass module? thanks Mopar72
Old 10-20-2014, 09:17 AM

On my 12 the compass is built into the DIC on the dash. My old truck had the compass in the overhead. I didn't know there was an over head anymore in the 4th gen. I also have the map light but it is built into the dome light area.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:06 AM

staarma,

according to Mopar.com, the compass module is in the overhead compartment as well, where the dome light (and garage door opener) is at. The directional indicator is displayed on the EVIC though. I would imagine placing the compass module in instrument cluster would introduce too much electromagnetic interference, thus the reason, at least on Mopar's website, it shows it in the overhead compartment.

Mopar72,

Check out Mopar's website. Once you drill down to your truck it will be listed under:
Electrical --> Keys, Modules and Engine Controllers
Look for Modules Overhead - MODULE, Compass (or Compass Temperature). It also includes the garage door opener. If you go through all of that, you might as well get the auto dimming mirror since it will connect to the same harness. It will save you from having to drop the headliner later on if you decide to get it later.

Also, you will more than likely have to get the harness I mentioned earlier UNLESS you have the cab lights. I noticed with Chrysler, in order to keep costs down, the full harness may already be in place, however there is chance it is just the single wire for the lights. In either case, the bulk connector in the passenger pillar will be in place with the downstream wires in place already. On my truck, it didn't come with the cab lights, so the harness was missing that one wire (when I added the Mopar lights)--so it will be a hit or miss. I don't see Chrysler running single wires as it can increase the chance of chafing and possible fire.

I typically use Mopar.com to find what I am looking for to get the part number then go to any number of wholesale Mopar websites to find the one with the best deal. I used it extensively when I "upgraded" my interior to 6 passenger seating. My truck is a Frankenstein including parts from 2011+ trucks.

Hopefully this helps you in upgrading your truck.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Gotcha, you were talking about the actual module

staarma,

according to Mopar.com, the compass module is in the overhead compartment as well, where the dome light (and garage door opener) is at. The directional indicator is displayed on the EVIC though. I would imagine placing the compass module in instrument cluster would introduce too much electromagnetic interference, thus the reason, at least on Mopar's website, it shows it in the overhead compartment.

Mopar72,

Check out Mopar's website. Once you drill down to your truck it will be listed under:
Look for Modules Overhead - MODULE, Compass (or Compass Temperature). It also includes the garage door opener. If you go through all of that, you might as well get the auto dimming mirror since it will connect to the same harness. It will save you from having to drop the headliner later on if you decide to get it later.

Also, you will more than likely have to get the harness I mentioned earlier UNLESS you have the cab lights. I noticed with Chrysler, in order to keep costs down, the full harness may already be in place, however there is chance it is just the single wire for the lights. In either case, the bulk connector in the passenger pillar will be in place with the downstream wires in place already. On my truck, it didn't come with the cab lights, so the harness was missing that one wire (when I added the Mopar lights)--so it will be a hit or miss. I don't see Chrysler running single wires as it can increase the chance of chafing and possible fire.

I typically use Mopar.com to find what I am looking for to get the part number then go to any number of wholesale Mopar websites to find the one with the best deal. I used it extensively when I "upgraded" my interior to 6 passenger seating. My truck is a Frankenstein including parts from 2011+ trucks.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:03 PM

Question

staarma,

Mopar72,

thanks for the info. i found the compass module on the mopar.com websight. but now i have a few more questions. they list the compass module then they list a compass/temperature module. which one do i need? Also my evic all ready shows the out side temperature, so i wonder if this is not gust a add the sales code for the compass? my truck does have cab lights. again thanks for the info. thanks mopar72
Old 10-24-2014, 05:04 PM

I'm looking through my service manual and it appears that the temperature sensor is actually separate and located in the grill area. I just checked Mopar.com again using 2011 3500 ST/SLT/LARAMIE and each one is now only displaying the Compass Module Only--no temperature module. Not sure why results were showing up to include a temp module a few days ago. It is also not showing the garage door opener being included and when I do a search using the part number, it shows it as a separate module...separate from the overhead console (which would be what my service manual shows)

To answer your question this is the part number you need for the compass module only:

56046062AC

I recommend checking out factorychryslerparts.com since they give a much better breakdown of images (not to mention that it loads much faster) than mopar.com, if you want to try to piece a complete console together. They also have a good description of the different wiring harnesses available if you need one. Since you have the cab lights, judging by what is listed on that website, you may have the main harness up there that the compass module plugs into.

2011 3500 CC ST 6.7L G56 - OVERHEAD WIRING

The build sheet from Chrysler has these codes for my truck that I believe all relate to the overhead:
CV2P O/Head Console w/Trip Computer/UGDO
GNKP Rear View Auto Dim Mirror
JFJS Temperature & Compass Gauge
XGDP Universal Garage Door Opener

Ask away if you need more help.