Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question for the Texans

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Question for the Texans

I work with a large orphanage here (about 150 kids plus a school from kindergarten to high school) and they rely on donations and free help. They have a lot of property and many buildings. They are in desperate need of a riding lawn mower and a couple of regular mowers. These things are available here, but are VERY expensive. My thinking is that it may be cost efficient to take a drive with my truck up to SE Texas, buy a cheap used flat deck trailer, and then buy the mowers used up there and bring them here.

There are work groups from Canada and the US that come to the orphanage on a regular basis, but they fly down, so to bring heavy equipment with them is not practical. The orphanage needs other heavy stuff too, such as a heavy duty sliding gate opener. Another thing that is readily available here, but very expensive, but cheap in the US.

Any suggestions where would be the best location to get everything I need within a relatively small radius? Can drive up to San Antonio or even Houston if I have to, but would rather not. Am thinking that a farm type small town may suit, but which town? Want to make one trip do for all the heavy stuff that they need.

If anybody is interested, here is some info:

Financial support: http://childrenofhope.info/jeremy-and-ana-vanbeelen/
Pan de Vida orphanage webpage: http://pandevida.org/pandevida/pandevidaeng/
Children of Hope Blog: http://childrenofhope.info/blog-layout-2/
Children of Hope website: www.childrenofhope.info

Promotional video:
Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought here......

Maybe look on-line at newspaper classifieds "For Sale" adds in the Laredo paper, Brownsville paper etc. to see what may be listed. If no luck, start moving on up, e.g. Eagle Pass, Cotulla and on to San Antonio.

Another thought, what about Craig's List?

Good luck and kudos to you for helping the kids.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:24 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Fast response! Thanks. All good ideas. We are already checking Craig List, but not in those areas.

Forgot to mention that if I do this trip, it will probably not be until Jan or Feb as the orphanage has no money right now and is waiting for more donations, so have lots of time to get all the ducks lined up.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there a Texas DTR Chapter? That might be a good place to post these questions too.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Ahem...Corpus.

But the border towns would save a lot of fuel and drive time though. Also consider places that sell used equipment. Perhaps they'd cut you a deal if you bought several at once.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. All very good ideas.
Shorts, had considered Corpus and even maybe as far north as Victoria.
Normally when I take the eastern route into the States I cross just below Harlingen, so if possible would like to stay within a small radius of that area, but if there are good deals to be had, will of course go further. I am hoping to find some private (read cheap) deals, but if I can locate a dealer that can sell me a cheap used trailer, a riding mower and a few regular mowers, maybe can bargain and make a deal.

Please guys and gals, please keep your eyes open for possible places for me to contact early next year to obtain these things.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:13 AM

Another thought here Mexstan. My wife and I moved from Wimberley, Texas to Del Rio last December. At our place in Wimberley, our neighbor owns a small engine repair business and always seemed to have mowers parked out front for sale. It is a father and son business, Brown's Small Engine Repair. Lamar is the father and Clayton is the son, phone number 512-847-5111. If you call them feel free to tell them I referred you, my name is Scott Sandlin.

Wimberley is located about 13 miles west of San Marcos. San Marcos is on IH-35 between San Antonio and Austin, maybe a bit further than you wanted to drive.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Scott, thanks so much for this suggestion. I am familiar with San Marcos and in fact was at a camp site there a few years ago with my RV. That was the same place that the master cylinder on my truck suddenly died. Fortunately the local Dodge dealer had the parts in stock and took my truck in at 16:30 and gave it back to me the next morning at about 10:00. They even drove me back to my RV and picked me up the next morning. Good service.

I am going to be at the orphanage tomorrow to do more work and will speak to the guy there in charge of donations and maintenance. If he thinks it is doable, will give your guy a call next week.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Stanamex, does a fella by the name of Art Weins assist with that orphanage? He's from Regina. Last I spoke with him he was going to Mexico again.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:05 PM

That name does not ring a bell with me. Next time you see him, ask him what city in Mexico he is going to. There are quite a few orphanages in Mexico. In my area alone there are 3 that I know about. I work with 2 of them.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stan this only a half formed thought so work with me.

Have you thought about finding an agent in the area that could for a fee collect the things you are needing ,thus saving you fuel and time in finding everything yourself . After all days in a hotel add up fast and fuel while down is still expensive . Before you ask I don't know of anyone but surly there is such a thing.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 PM

We have thought about this, but it is very difficult. Whomever we use needs to have a lot of mechanical knowledge to assess each article. Plus they need the financial savvy to bargain on our behalf. Plus a mix of other things. Finding such a person is not impossible, but is difficult. Have not given up on this idea yet. Thanks for the thought.

This trip will probably be a one time trip, so if it takes a bit longer, it is not that big a deal. I am hoping that we can buy a suitable trailer to bring everything back and then sell the trailer down here with enough profit to cover our expanses. Have been checking around and trailers are quite expensive here.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Stan,
You are a good man.
Once you have this equipment will there be any problems taking this stuff back across the border?

Would you have to pay a fee for them?

Are your orphanages private or state run?
Just wondering.
Jim
Old 10-24-2014, 06:19 AM

Taking anything across the border is always cause for concern, particularly big, obvious stuff like a riding mower. Sometimes the customs guys charge and at other times they don't. It's a bit of a hit and miss situation. We are looking at getting a letter drawn up by the orphanage lawyers to show that this is a non profit organization that exists from donations. We are consequently not expecting to pay any duties.

This is a private Christian organization. The guy that started it is an American. It is monitored by the state and they supply many of the kids. A few of the small kids there have been picked up by the cops who found them wondering in the streets, semi homeless. Very sad situations.