1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Best type of WW fluid for the water meth tank

Old 10-19-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Best type of WW fluid for the water meth tank

Never used methanol ever since I put my w/m system in. Always tried just running WW fluid but I don't feel any type of seat of the pants like everybody else has. Maybe I'm using the wrong type of WW fluid? Which type is the better, the -32 or the other(can't think of the other below zero solution). If I could find methanol by the quart I'd like to try it. So far around here it is sold in 5 gallon tubs and before I invest I'd like to just try it first
Old 10-19-2014, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The yellow bottles of "HEAT" gas line antifreeze are methanol. You could try that before buying a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am currently running Snows Analog stage tow setup with TWorlines intake up grade. I am using a .375 and a .625 W/M injection nozzles. When I dyno I run Snows 49/51 mix and can easily feel the performance "kick" and that equates to just over 40 additional RWHP.

The minus 32 degree number, based on research does not come up. After doing some calculations what I came up with is at 35% methanol mix I got a minus 27 degree freeze point. When I run W/M in the winter I usually use wind shield washer fluid and do not feel a "kick", with that mix.

I have purchased a 5 gallon pail of methanol due to a friend and I running on a dyno together. Keep in mind that pure methanol starts to degrade once exposed to air.

I know it is not cheap but you might want want try Snows mix you will feel a kick with that mix.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Old 10-19-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Beauchaine
I am currently running Snows Analog stage tow setup with TWorlines intake up grade. I am using a .375 and a .625 W/M injection nozzles. When I dyno I run Snows 49/51 mix and can easily feel the performance "kick" and that equates to just over 40 additional RWHP.

The minus 32 degree number, based on research does not come up. After doing some calculations what I came up with is at 35% methanol mix I got a minus 27 degree freeze point. When I run W/M in the winter I usually use wind shield washer fluid and do not feel a "kick", with that mix.

I have purchased a 5 gallon pail of methanol due to a friend and I running on a dyno together. Keep in mind that pure methanol starts to degrade once exposed to air.

I know it is not cheap but you might want want try Snows mix you will feel a kick with that mix.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Hey Bob you and I have the same set up going. That is I too have Wuorlines intake and the size nozzles are the same. Where is methanol found? Do you ever notice your oil thinning out or have that cream colored water n oil mix? I have snows original kit, with the black module where a boost line is connected and there are 2 adjustments for partial spray n full spray. Currently I have partial set up to come on around 16 psi and full at 22-24 psi. Been so long since I was all into this. That sound about right for settings? My items for performance are current in my sig if you have questions
Old 10-19-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by jimlj
The yellow bottles of "HEAT" gas line antifreeze are methanol. You could try that before buying a 5 gallon bucket.
Jimlj, I've seen those. What would be the ratio of one of those to water. Do those go bad? Seems that I've seen 6 packs of that stuff on the discount bin section in Napas, O'Rileys, etc. do you know the shelf life? Unopened they still go bad?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 AM

I found my 5 Gal. container of methanol by doing a search in the Portland Or area where I was living at the time. This was almost 10 years ago. I used my share of the methanol and it is long gone. Try searching in your area that was how I found mine. That being said I thought that to be a waste of methanol as the it went bad over time. There are only two times that I use my mix - on the Dyno and when towing.

My stage 2 analog has a % dial on the side with an adjustment for %. It is not for W/M mix but rather how much mix is injected when running. Mine comes on at about 16 psi of boost and full at 20 PSI of boost and at a preset EGT.

My oil does not change color and I see oil usage of about 1qt every 6k.

Bob
Old 10-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Dirt track and World of Outlaw sprint cars run on methanol. I bought mine from a dirt track racer to use a a flush agent for the a/c system in my MB.