1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Can someone identify where this leak would come from and what type of fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Can someone identify where this leak would come from and what type of fluid?

So I just remembered to finally ask this question. A few years back I believe Wannadiesel did the swap from the stock lift pump to the 2nd gen plunger and it got stickied. I went ahead and followed the procedure to a tee and since then, I have had a wet spot to the right of the new lift pump. As best that I can reach, all my fittings to the lift pump are dry to the touch. I have no drips anywhere under the truck. I have power sprayed that area with cleaner degeaser, brake cleaner, but it reappears. To get this lp in, as per the sticky, you had to trim off some of the black insulated jacket that is on the block down there and the area where that jacket was removed has the fluid on it. I've checked my valve cover gaskets towards the firewall and all is dry. Like I mentioned, no visible drips on the driveway, and I truly believe it's not a diesel leak. What else should I be looking for? Really tight to get back there and nab a swipe to do a sniff test. So what fluid would appear, stay in an area, and not drip onto the ground? It is not a "thick, wet" look but more of a thin stain. I thought maybe it could be the rear freeze plug leaking, but that would probably appear on the passenger side also, correct?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I am not sure if this is what you are seeing but I have a fuel leak at the back of the block also just enough to be wet but not enough to drip.

Up under the very back of the head is the fuel return line, there is a brass fitting where the injector return line joins the injection pump return line at a Weatherhead "T" fitting, the flared lines float behind a seal/sleeve that are made of rubber or probably Viton, after many years these seals become brittle and will leak especially if you have been moving things around.

These rubber parts are replaceable, you need to loosen the nut and back it off the end of the tubing and replace the little rubber sleeve and them reassemble the fitting.

The return line is secured to a bracket under the last tappet cover bolt.

It is a part of the Cummins engine, you will probably have to get this part from Cummins, not sure if Dodge would have it anymore.

Feel up under the ledge of the head for this part, and see if this is your leak.

If it is not,
Never mind.

Jim
Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tappet cover gasket seeping??
Old 10-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Good info here. Got to thinking today about the crank case vent. Where the hose originates from is also from that area. I wonder if that too could be the culprit. How often does a 1st genner replace the hose assembly, and what is the I.d size?