1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fluidamper install now no charge.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by sdseva
The issue is with my dads truck which does NOT currently have an Ext. VR. I was wondering if installing one is a solution because the PCM could have possibly stopped working properly? thanks for bearing with me.. im learning a lot reading the sticky but im still stupid.
Ahhh I see. If it was charging before you did the installation, then I would think it is something you did during/after the install.

I think you have checked most of the main reasons the system does not charge. I'm leaning towards possibly a bad splice in the CPS wiring. I installed a fluidampr on my 93 motor, and did not need to use the wiring extensions.

Just thinking about your issue and I recall reading about the wiring connection plug that is in the kit, that they are not very good, and the connections are questionable?

How did you extend the wires?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Ahhh I see. If it was charging before you did the installation, then I would think it is something you did during/after the install.

I think you have checked most of the main reasons the system does not charge. I'm leaning towards possibly a bad splice in the CPS wiring. I installed a fluidampr on my 93 motor, and did not need to use the wiring extensions.

Just thinking about your issue and I recall reading about the wiring connection plug that is in the kit, that they are not very good, and the connections are questionable?

How did you extend the wires?
i did use the kit.. the connections look solid. i double checked the splices on both ends. all of that being said.. i was never in the truck watching the voltmeter before the fludamper install and my dad is so unobservant that he often puts beer cans in the fridge upside down... he would have never noticed the issue
the battery was leaking badly and was installed in '02.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Well I would advise putting in proper crimped, and soldered connections in the wiring. I know it can be a PITA...but this would eliminate the wiring as a potential issue.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:06 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Pardon my ignorance ---- what is a "fluidamper" and what does it do ??

Now, with that behind us, recently, I did a bit of work that required me removing the top-of-dash 3-gauge "pod" , in order to get at what I was working on.

When it came time to put everything back together, I decided installing a few pig-tail plugs would make life easier the next time I had to mess with it.

With all my nice pig-tails crimped and soldered in place, I plugged everything together and went about my business.

The thing is though, I was not out after dark in that truck for a week or so; actually, it was sitting parked behind the guy's house whose 379 Peterbilt I was gone in for a week or so.

To make a long story short, I came in during the wee hours of the night, transferred all my belongings back into my truck, flipped ON my instrument-lights, and lit up the whole neighborhood.

I have a BRIGHT light indicator LED installed in that gauge pod.

When I finally found the problem, the brand-new molded-plastic pig-tail that I had used had a tiny strand of copper short-circuiting the plug --- defective from the factory.

From that day forth, I will always double-check any such components for such abnormalities.

Your problem may be something similar.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
A Fluidampr is a fluid filled harmonic balancer. The theory is the fluid moves withing the balancer and will dampen vibrations and harmonic better then a rubber ring OEM style unit.

My OEM vs the new Fliudampr when I installed them....

Name:  PICT4735.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  127.1 KB
Old 09-16-2014, 06:15 PM

And I guess those #12 boot-prints are for size-reference ...

Thanks for enlightening me; so that works much like a Centramatic wheel balancer.

That thing looks purely mechanical; I am guessing the electrical problems are a 1992/93 thing.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:30 PM

And I guess those #12 boot-prints are for size-reference ...

Thanks for enlightening me; so that works much like a Centramatic wheel balancer.

That thing looks purely mechanical; I am guessing the electrical problems are a 1992/93 thing.
Actually size #14 boots to be exact....

Yes work on the same basic principle as the Centramatics.

And yes it has nothing to do with the electronic control of the Alternator on 92/93 trucks.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 PM

Now, with that behind us, recently, I did a bit of work that required me removing the top-of-dash 3-gauge "pod" , in order to get at what I was working on.

When it came time to put everything back together, I decided installing a few pig-tail plugs would make life easier the next time I had to mess with it.

With all my nice pig-tails crimped and soldered in place, I plugged everything together and went about my business.

The thing is though, I was not out after dark in that truck for a week or so; actually, it was sitting parked behind the guy's house whose 379 Peterbilt I was gone in for a week or so.

To make a long story short, I came in during the wee hours of the night, transferred all my belongings back into my truck, flipped ON my instrument-lights, and lit up the whole neighborhood.

I have a BRIGHT light indicator LED installed in that gauge pod.

When I finally found the problem, the brand-new molded-plastic pig-tail that I had used had a tiny strand of copper short-circuiting the plug --- defective from the factory.

From that day forth, I will always double-check any such components for such abnormalities.

Your problem may be something similar.
I will double check the provided connector kit. perhaps just make jumpers that are carefully butt spliced? no connector used? The fluidamper is definitely not the issue.. i feared it was my shotty work that caused this but in all honesty, the volt meter could have been showing a no charge situation for days... the truck is my dads DD and he does not know of such things. I will re-splice in the morning before trying the external VR
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Actually size #14 boots to be exact....
Isn't finding shoes a wonderful thing?

I'm 14 EEE, living in a rural area, I have had to start ordering them from the Internet since the last local shoe store closed...........

On the other hand, it has opened up a world of new possibilities, especially in USA made shoes.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:51 PM

i very carefully re spliced the cps and checked the gap. i removed the new alt and brought it back for a bench test.. just in case.. passed. all new relays. still at 12.4v installed an external VR just as it is installed on my truck... still no charge. im lost. are there any fusible links for the alt?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Ok, well try the key trick and see if you are getting any codes ( 41? 47? ) Anyway, with it hooked back up to PCM control, quickly ground the green field wire ( one that runs to the PCM ) and see if she doesn't go full charge. If it does, there is an issue either between the alt and the PCM or the PCM is toast. If it doesn't go full charge, then you might be still fighting a CPS issue. IIRC, PCM doesn't bring in ASD relay, which provides the 12V for the fields.
Thread from when I was fighting my Ramcharger......

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...arger+charging
Old 09-17-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by sdseva
are there any fusible links for the alt?
There is one big fuse-link in the main charge wire, the fuse-link is usually green, located on that "duck-foot" connector where all the fuse-links converge, left fender-well, sort of under the hood-hinge; BUT, if that link is completely open, you would have no continuity from battery to alternator.

It can be blown and still have a tiny strand making connection; thus, it would show continuity, but not be able to carry the load.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
The old Mopar charging systems are pretty simple. Check for voltage at the big wire on the alternator. It should be battery voltage. The blue field wire is ignition feed, should be 12 volts key on, you may need the engine running for this. The green field wire is the ground that goes to the PCM. Grounding this wire will full field the alternator if you have 12 volts at the blue wire. It should charge then regardless of whether the CPS or PCM is any good.

I suspect though that since you said the A/C is also blowing warm you may have a CPS failure but check the voltages first and make sure the alternator is capable of putting out before you go looking any further.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM

grounded and got 17v... with engine running.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the alternator is working. One thing to check off the list.

Quick Reply: Fluidamper install now no charge.