3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

2007 5.9 Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock-Hard
Thanks for the info. So since I am not trying to build a 500 HP truck, it probably isn't worth it. I was basically curious if changing the cam would improve fuel mileage and power, and even EGTs.
The correct cam will do that. It is just cheaper to do a Smarty Jr. and get the improvements via tuning.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, I must say I am very disappointed in my fuel mileage with the Smarty Jr. I have lost between 3 and 4 mpg over stock, using the fuel economy setting. Any ideas on what I can do as for tuning with the Jr to get the best fuel mileage? Thanks
Old 09-11-2014, 08:15 PM

How is your driving style? Are you flooring it more?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this hand calculated or using the overhead?
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock-Hard
Gentlemen, I must say I am very disappointed in my fuel mileage with the Smarty Jr. I have lost between 3 and 4 mpg over stock, using the fuel economy setting. Any ideas on what I can do as for tuning with the Jr to get the best fuel mileage? Thanks
I am genuinely surprised, as will many members owning this product can attest.

This is the first time I've ever heard that Smarty Jr has cost fuel mileage that was not driver induced.

I can't help but think it is something else in the system causing this. The easiest way to eliminate, or confirm, it is the smarty is to unload it and drive for the next tank to calculate mileage.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:29 AM

It's funny. I recently changed to SW3,TM2,TQ4, POD99. I drove it like the old man that I am, on a fairly flat highway @70 mph. I used the cruise control most of the trip and got 24.16 mpg, (hand calculated). The last tank, I got on it, just a bit, only a few times and got 14.21 mpg. I don't have an overhead, so it's always hand calculated. Anyway the moral of the story is, Smarty jr. will help with increased mileage as long as you do your part, by laying off the skinny pedal. It's just so tempting to lay into it though.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 AM

I originally set it on the Performance setting and timing 4 setting I think. I drove it on a 180 mile ride, roughly 65 mph the whole way on cruise. I went from stock 21.5 mpg down to 17.8ish by the over head. I guess I need to do some hand calculations. Why would the overhead show that much difference if something was'nt going on? I now have it on the Economy setting and timing 3 and have not noticed any difference. When I do put a little pedal to it, I am seeing a decent cloud of black smoke.

I am definitely easing into the throttle. I am trying to achieve the best fuel mileage possible. I am not racing or anything. The truck was powerful enough stock. I am not saying it isn't nice to have the extra pep, I just was not really looking for power when I bought the Smarty.

Any advice will be appreciated. I bought the Smarty for Economy not power. So far I am considerably disappointed that I spent 500 bucks for less MPG.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 08:42 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

The overhead is not called the "lie-o-meter" for nothing and is very inaccurate. Any programmer (not just smarty) also changes the behavior of the lie-o-meter. That is the source of your problem. You cannot use that even for simple comparison.

You'll have to start over, full tank, drive reasonably and hand calculate.

Unload smarty and do the same thing... hand calculate.

That is the only way you will really know what is going on.

Unfortunately, I can comfortably say you are basing your disappointment on an overhead readout that is notoriously inaccurate and not on facts.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
The overhead is not called the "lie-o-meter" for nothing and is very inaccurate. Any programmer (not just smarty) also changes the behavior of the lie-o-meter. That is the source of your problem. You cannot use that even for simple comparison.

You'll have to start over, full tank, drive reasonably and hand calculate.

Unload smarty and do the same thing... hand calculate.

That is the only way you will really know what is going on.

Unfortunately, I can comfortably say you are basing your disappointment on an overhead readout that is notoriously inaccurate and not on facts.

I thank you sir very much. I filled up Tuesday and I am doing that process now. What have you guys found to be the best setting combination for fuel economy?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:37 AM

SW1 TM2 TQ4, best setting I have found so far.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:56 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

usually the most timing you can stand with lowest torque management. The actual sw# varies from truck to truck and your driving style.
Everyone's results vary.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by soulezoo
usually the most timing you can stand with lowest torque management. The actual sw# varies from truck to truck and your driving style.
Everyone's results vary.

I set it on SW1 TM2 TQ4 changed the fuel and oil filters and oil. Lets see what happens.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 PM

Hand checked at the setting in the previous post. 12.99 mpg. Freaking terrible with the Smarty. I returned the truck to stock, uninstalled the Smarty. Instantly saw the overhead go up about 4 mpg. Now that may not be accurate but I will check the mileage again asap. I wonder if something else is wrong that is killing my mileage with the Smarty. Could the Smarty be flawed?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you didn't keep your foot out of it those will be the correct results.

It's hard to have the power and not use it
Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

You have got to... I repeat you have got to... Get your head out of what the overhead says. It is flawed to an extent you are not understanding.

And if you really got only 13 mpg hand calculated you have an issue that is unrelated to smarty. You should see about 18 anyway.

Quick Reply: 2007 5.9 Tuner