1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Advice on brake bleeding

Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJTman
If this was true, you would have a line of fluid coming out the bottom back side of the master, or being pushed into the brake booster itself. Anytime a master had gone bad with me, It always leaked out the back and down onto the frame.
I have experienced this with GM vehicles without external leaking. Where the seals for the externals did not fail. but the internal ones did. No air in the system, and no dropping fluid level either. Talk about chasing your tail!
Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by rrgrassi
I have experienced this with GM vehicles without external leaking. Where the seals for the externals did not fail. but the internal ones did. No air in the system, and no dropping fluid level either. Talk about chasing your tail!

Well, that explains everything....

I had a 84 vette, and nothing was good on that junker. Everything failed except for the engine. Fuel system, electric, suspension, seals, gaskets, steering..... you name it .... it failed.

That's what you get for owning a piece of american history...
Old 08-31-2014, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJTman
Well, that explains everything....

I had a 84 vette, and nothing was good on that junker. Everything failed except for the engine. Fuel system, electric, suspension, seals, gaskets, steering..... you name it .... it failed.

That's what you get for owning a piece of american history...
So true. A Wagner M/C fixed that problem on an old Pontiac I had. I will not ever buy a '74 or higher GM car, or a 79 or higher GM truck.

GMC=General Mechanical Crap or Garage Man's Companion
Old 08-31-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Update- upon removal of the brake booster the rod end that connects to the pedal falls out with pieces of something torn at the end of the rod. I am wondering when I was pumping the brakes trying to bleed out the air I felt/ heard this pop at the brake pedal and after that I could not hold any pressure at all and that's when I quit. Been following all the bleeding advice on here and the pressure would build up then fade away at start up. Booster fell apart as I exchanged it with another reman from orileys. According to my notes, That one lasted about a year
Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Update- upon removal of the brake booster the rod end that connects to the pedal falls out with pieces of something torn at the end of the rod. I am wondering when I was pumping the brakes trying to bleed out the air I felt/ heard this pop at the brake pedal and after that I could not hold any pressure at all and that's when I quit. Been following all the bleeding advice on here and the pressure would build up then fade away at start up. Booster fell apart as I exchanged it with another reman from orileys. According to my notes, That one lasted about a year
I can't imagine what could be at the pedal end, it just connects to the pedal with a clip. I know that most rebuilt boosters, or mc's, (can't remember which ) come with instruction on how to adjust the push rod and that this has been an issue. I still don't see how a bad booster can put air into the brake lines, that is probably the mc...Mark