1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

First Gen Related Social Media

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Whats the bulletin board thing j martin?
I guess I'm dating myself again. When this sort of sharing started about thirty years ago, it was by text only and 300 baud modem. The systems were called Bulletin Board Systems, or BBS's. I could read the text as fast as it'd scroll onto the screen of my TRS-80 Model III. Now they're called forums.

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Have you ever checked out this forum, it is the only other technical forum I could get lost in.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/archive/

This is my favorite.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Jim
I go to a high performance boating site and share about V6 mercury outboards. Like this board, it's a collection of crazy mechanics that know their stuff and have a lot of fun.
http://www.screamandfly.com/forum.php

I think the trick to a good forum is a good community. Some are mostly idiots that can't think for themselves or look anything up. Some are populated by know-it-alls that try to build their own egos by putting you down for any mistake, which is defined as an opinion different than theirs.

The other trick is great administrators, who keep things going smoothly, mostly by enforcing the rules.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
I guess I'm dating myself again. When this sort of sharing started about thirty years ago, it was by text only and 300 baud modem. The systems were called Bulletin Board Systems, or BBS's. I could read the text as fast as it'd scroll onto the screen of my TRS-80 Model III. Now they're called forums
I remember all that stuff. Cutting edge in it's day.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I do not know what kind of work you do, but a company that encouraged employees to have a Facebook Page to me would be looking for a way to spy on your personal life.

People either unknowingly or knowingly post enough damaging information about their own life for all to see.
A little clarification,
I was not saying that your company was wrong, I know almost every company including our local government that I deal with has their own FB page and I have no problems with that.

But it would be a perfect way for a company to keep track of employees right along with reading all of your e-mails and key loggers devices.

I know for certain some private universities in SoCal constantly monitor personal FB pages of their students, and as stupid as some people are to post about what they did last night, I still think it is wrong.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:13 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Jim - I see your point, I'm constantly amazed at what kids and adults write about and picture on-line. And that's just what I hear about through friends and media (the old fashioned kind - radio & newspaper...).

InfernoMega06 - Sounds like you have a wide open opportunity here. Obviously most of us don't have the ability or interest to do what you propose. I say if you know how and have the desire then go for it. Build it and they will come.

If they don't you've lost some time and gained some experience. But it doesn't sound like you'll be stepping on anybody's toes here or reinventing the wheel (or should that be circuit board?).